Best City For Expats Is? Cebu Or Manila Or Elsewhere?

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
They normally don't stay 42 days next to me...

:hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

This one has been going on for a while and I can't remember if I even posted with my thoughts.  But I'm in no mood to go back and look - I have several pages of posts I haven't read yet!  So you get to all here my thoughts on this once again if I did and, if I didn't, my words of wisdom come cheap - only $49.99 per word.

The best city to live in is simply a matter of choice.  And for that matter, is it even a city or a provincial home that is best?  Really the answer is simple...  The best place in all of the Philippines is the one where your loved ones live (or will live) in a home you like (rented of owned) in a neighbourhood you enjoy (with crowing cocks and early morning karaoke or lovely peace and quite) and the internet access you need to enjoy and sufficient power to do all the things you want to do throughout the day while keeping your beer cold.  That may just be the power to walk to the local sari-sari for ice to slip into your cooler.  

The point I want to make is that not one place will always be perfect for another person.  IMHO the only way to find this place is to get out and look OURSELVES!!!  And now we return you to our regularly scheduled discussion...

:attention:

• Like 3

Lou49
Posted
Posted

Baguio is a very nice place. Been there three times, stayed for a month the last time I was there. The city is clean, green, and cool. I think average temp is usually about 20 degrees.People there seem to take pride in their city, and I did not se as many squatters as I have seen in others cities.

• 3 weeks later...
spyke69
Posted
Posted

Well as a newbie this forum...but 6 years in Davao! I can suggest a few things, Davao is the safest city in PI for a white guy. For fast internet" cignal" is what you need...bit expensive but prob fastest you will find. As a alternative to Cebu or Manila, Davao has lots to offer, plenty of good bars, malls, restraunts (we got TGIF and outback steak house  now) I can even get a stubbie of VB here which is awesome even though I'm a seppo. The US embassy travel advisory about Mindanao is complete BS!!!! unless you stupid enuf to go the places you should not. just my 2 cents worth....

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I've not been to Davao but here only good things about it. May need to check it out one day.  I have traveled fairly extensively alone and never had any problems anywhere in the world.  A little common sense goes a long way!  The only time I got mugged was in Dallas, TX (hometown) as a teenager in the 70's - and that was in the church parking lot!

And I take almost everything the embassy says as BS ha ha      :tiphat:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The US embassy travel advisory about Mindanao is complete BS!!!! unless you stupid enuf to go the places you should not. just my 2 cents worth....

But CDO is in Mindanao and many losts their lives or were hurt badly just last week from a bomb blast at restaurants and bars in the city. Also many expats live in CDO which is normally a reasonably safe city except for floods in the middle of the night which killed thousands so I guess every warning we hear is bullshit. 

Yes there are places not to go but it seems at times these warnings that cover a big area are for a reason.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The US embassy travel advisory about Mindanao is complete BS!!!! unless you stupid enuf to go the places you should not. just my 2 cents worth....

But CDO is in Mindanao and many losts their lives or were hurt badly just last week from a bomb blast at restaurants and bars in the city. Also many expats live in CDO which is normally a reasonably safe city except for floods in the middle of the night which killed thousands so I guess every warning we hear is bullsh&t. 

Yes there are places not to go but it seems at times these warnings that cover a big area are for a reason.

Muslims have blown bombs in Manila too earlier, but didn't fight there regular, so not the same as in e g Zamboanga.

Oh I hadn't heared about that bomb, I thought the muslims stoped after the peace treaty,

and NPA don't blow restaurants and bars, they blow police stations and such (e g they attacked one northwest of Gingoog rather recently).

Swedish embassy say same for whole Mindanao too, which I don't find fair. I suppouse an insurance company can take the chance to not pay accidents in the CALM places in Mindanao too, just because it's Mindanao, because of what the embassy says...

spyke69
Posted
Posted

consider why bombs go off.....? average wage in PI is 135usd/month and has not changed in 15 years. now where do most bombs happen in mindanao...? bus'es  or restarunt    question why? the word is extortion...not terrorists...its people trying to survive..if.it was NPA or abu sayef the army would be there in a heartbeat backed by some of the 600 US troops based in zambo....like I said else where best most of you stay out of mindanao....you see a nice place...but really dont understand!....dont compare it to where you come from. and it aint like thailand or indo or the rest...its a 1600 spanish catholic time capsule in the 21st century and half the population is under 20 years old...with no divorce and no jobs no future? consider the kid LTO serving you spent more $ to get thru college to get the job than he will make in 30 years...if you dont believe? just go ask

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

Well as a newbie this forum...but 6 years in Davao! I can suggest a few things, Davao is the safest city in PI for a white guy. For fast internet" cignal" is what you need...bit expensive but prob fastest you will find. As a alternative to Cebu or Manila, Davao has lots to offer, plenty of good bars, malls, restraunts (we got TGIF and outback steak house  now) I can even get a stubbie of VB here which is awesome even though I'm a seppo. The US embassy travel advisory about Mindanao is complete BS!!!! unless you stupid enuf to go the places you should not. just my 2 cents worth....

Cignal does not offer broadband, it is a digital TV provider. You may be thinking of Sky which does offer cable DSL broadband but that's only available in two subdivisions in Davao.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes, very low salaries, and many employers don't even pay what the MINIMUM salary law say  :th_unfair:

E g I know one Filipina, who get only 140p per day for a full time job! (But that family manage, because one work abroad and all the others have managed to get full time jobs at Mindanao!)

Even one Filipina with university exam don't get the "Minimum salary", just a bit over half of it  :th_unfair:

In an other Mindanao family they have only one job plus lease a small farm being 16 persons. No idea how they manage. They even afford to smoke and drink!  :lol:

So not odd many go abroad to work.