Searching For Fast Internet Solution At New Baguio Apartment

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I finally got moved from San Fernando, La Union to my new apartment in Baguio last Thursday. Much to report about the move and the new apartment but unfortunately my internet connection at the new apartment is barely usable.

Since I arrived last Dec I have been using a Smart Bro unlimited data plan with my android smart phone then turn the smartphone into a wifi hotspot for my laptop. In San Fernando I usually had good speed, fast enough that I could use 2-3GB of data per week. Unfortunately here in Baguio my new apartment seems to be in an area that is almost a deadspot for wireless smartphone data. When I get a connection it is very slow often taking 10-15 seconds to load one page from this forum. If I go to the SM Mall/Session rode area about 1-2km away I can get 1Mbs using a speed test app. The internet is so slow at the apartment the speed test app can't even get a reading. Yesterday I went and got a Globe SIMM to try it out. It was worse!!!

I didn't test this out when I was looking for an apartment. I love the new apartment in Baguio and its location except for almost unusable wireless data speed. If I had tested and known that my wireless data would be unusable at the new apartment I would still have rented it, I like it that much.

Fast reliable high speed internet is important to me and I need to find another solution. My other options seem to be point to point wireless, wireless USB stick, DSL and cable. Of the four I much prefer DSL which normally can provide the best internet connection of the three. If my smartphone data is barely usable at the new apartment then the wireless USB stick will likely have the same problems.

Yesterday I stopped by the PLDT office to ask about DSL. First they need to survey the phone lines to see if I can get service, this will take 2-3 weeks. Then I would need to sign up for a plan which requires paying for a land line phone. In the USA I had high speed naked DSL (which didn't require landline phone service) for $50USD/month. The landline phone costs 600 pesos/month and requires a 2 year contract. DSL requires a 1 year contract. Prices are higher for the same bandwidth than where I lived in the USA. A plan with up to 5Mbps would cost 3600php/month with landline phone service, up to 3Mbps would cost 2595 php/month. Here is the kicker, for a foreigner they require that you pay for 1 year in advance!

Am I missing any internet connection options? Thoughts?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Yesterday I stopped by the PLDT office to ask about DSL. First they need to survey the phone lines to see if I can get service, this will take 2-3 weeks. Then I would need to sign up for a plan which requires paying for a land line phone. In the USA I had high speed naked DSL (which didn't require landline phone service) for $50USD/month. The landline phone costs 600 pesos/month and requires a 2 year contract. DSL requires a 1 year contract. Prices are higher for the same bandwidth than where I lived in the USA. A plan with up to 5Mbps would cost 3600php/month with landline phone service, up to 3Mbps would cost 2595 php/month. Here is the kicker, for a foreigner they require that you pay for 1 year in advance!   Am I missing any internet connection options? Thoughts?

Isn't that nuts? I thought they had discontinued the landline requirement, apparently not. When I signed up for PLDT in Cebu City they required local ID, which I did not have at the time, so they wanted a year in advance. I had a Filipine citizen with me so they allowed this person to apply for the service and I got around that roadblock. Unless they've changed the policy, if you have a valid ACR and local ID they shouldn't require the year in advance. I would ask to speak to a supervisor. I had the "up to 3Mb/s" plan and it was pretty good, much better then Globe, imo. But Globe is cheaper and they don't require the landline.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I got Globe Tattoo internet with landline for 1299p, (first 3 months for 333p) no contract (but in Filipina name). It is quite fast but likely depends on the area.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I have a Globe DSL and yes they require a phone also ..... I've had mine for over 3 years and have had very little trouble with it sense they upgraded their system 2 years ago .... can't remember how long I had to have the contract for the phone for but you can have it transferred should you decide you want to move ...... we moved from Cebu to Bacolod (a island away) and they just transferred the account to here (they will waive the transfer costs if you ask them) .... as it was a new apartment they installation of the wiring and hook up was free so we paid absolutely nothing except continuing my monthly billing ...... BUT ..... you must check with Manila BEFORE you move ... the local Cebu office told us do discontinue our account and open a new one in Bacolod ..... Manila told us absolutely not to as they would have to charge us for the transfer AND we would have to sign a new contract ......

Since we have been here we have only had service interrupted twice (the last time was about 2 days ago) ..... the speed (2Mbps) has been right on the money every time I have checked it ... which was not the case when I had PLDT .... anyway I am a happy camper and as most of you can attest to I read and post my dribble on the board at numerous times during the day ..... JMHO of Globe ..... your experiences may vary ..... :thumbsup: :cheersty:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Mike, when I signed up for Globe DSL a year and a half ago there was no landline requirement. I think they axed that. I agree the service has greatly improved since I first got it, there are still outages but they fix it in a day or 2. Since yesterday it goes down every few minutes, they say they will come here tomorrow but they always (so far) manage to fix it in a wiring closet somewhere.   

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I heard that there is not much value in getting the higher speed PLDT DSL services because they do not deliver much over the base.  The promise is "up to" a certain speed, so it is advised to try the slowest and lowest cost first.

My bro-in-law runs an internet shop in the Bakakeng Norte area of Bagio.  I will ask him if he has any ideas for you.  What area are you in?

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
My bro-in-law runs an internet shop in the Bakakeng Norte area of Bagio.  I will ask him if he has any ideas for you.  What area are you in?

Navy Base area 2 blocks from the Botanical Garden.  Thanks!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

He does not know any specifics about your area, but he recommends PLDT DSL because he has used it for years and never had a major outage.  He pays p2700 per month including the landline for the 3.5 mbps service.  When he signed up he got free landline for 3 months, free installation, no advance and no deposit, but that was a few years ago.

Have you been riding the bike in Baguio yet?  Lots of hills!  We had hundreds of riders here the last weekend of April for the Subic International Triathalon, and I think many stayed for a while because I am still seeing a lot of riders.

Let me know if you find any good bikes shops in Baguio because I will probably be up there in the next few months.  Still looking for a bike.

Edited by OnMyWay

Thomas
Posted
Posted
it is very slow often taking 10-15 seconds to load one page from this forum.

Isn't that counted as speedy in Phili?  :)

Outside Surigao city they have loading time by Smart of 3 

and in village in mountains in west Bohol they have a loading time of 8. MINUTES   :hystery:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

He does not know any specifics about your area, but he recommends PLDT DSL because he has used it for years and never had a major outage.  He pays p2700 per month including the landline for the 3.5 mbps service.  When he signed up he got free landline for 3 months, free installation, no advance and no deposit, but that was a few years ago.

Have you been riding the bike in Baguio yet?  Lots of hills!  We had hundreds of riders here the last weekend of April for the Subic International Triathalon, and I think many stayed for a while because I am still seeing a lot of riders.

Let me know if you find any good bikes shops in Baguio because I will probably be up there in the next few months.  Still looking for a bike.

I signed up for a basic cable TV package with Sky Cable this morning, 2k for install, 280/month, installation will be tomorrow. They can't provide internet in my area so they recommended Bayan Telecommunications with offices in the same building. I met with Bayan just after lunch and by 3PM they sent me an SMS telling me they had already verified they could provide me with service. PLDT said that would take 2-3 weeks. They also told me they could get me installed next week, 2500 for install. Their market is small businesses but they have prices comparable to PLDT but without the landline. Plus, which is very nice for me since I still do some professional IT internet work, is that I get 2 static IP addresses.

I have been busy getting settled in at the new apartment but did manage to get out for a ride the other day. Went in mid afternoon when there is a chance for rain. I know better, should have went in the morning when it is clear and sunny in Baguio. The ride was much shorter than what I did in San Fernando due to the hills. You work much harder climbing those hills, but it is a better cardio workout. I had stopped to catch my breath going up a hill by the Country Club when lightning struck a pine tree about 50m away!! Then on the last part of the ride it rained and I got a bit wet. Thats ok, I now have the shower hot water heater installed. :) Which is a must have for Baguio which has temperatures 10C cooler than the lowlands.

Haven't checked out the bike shops yet. It is on my todo list since there are some accessories I could use for my bike. Plus I need some of those tight  spandex pants. ;)

• Like 2