Searching For Fast Internet Solution At New Baguio Apartment

earthdome
Posted
Posted

After 6 days here in Baguio with barely usable internet using my android phone with SmartBro data plan I all of a sudden am getting great speeds.

786kbps down and 387kbps up. Maybe I won't need to get that DSL internet now.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

My bro-in-law runs an internet shop in the Bakakeng Norte area of Bagio.  I will ask him if he has any ideas for you.  What area are you in?

Navy Base area 2 blocks from the Botanical Garden.  Thanks!

He does not know any specifics about your area, but he recommends PLDT DSL because he has used it for years and never had a major outage.  He pays p2700 per month including the landline for the 3.5 mbps service.  When he signed up he got free landline for 3 months, free installation, no advance and no deposit, but that was a few years ago.

Have you been riding the bike in Baguio yet?  Lots of hills!  We had hundreds of riders here the last weekend of April for the Subic International Triathalon, and I think many stayed for a while because I am still seeing a lot of riders.

Let me know if you find any good bikes shops in Baguio because I will probably be up there in the next few months.  Still looking for a bike.

I signed up for a basic cable TV package with Sky Cable this morning, 2k for install, 280/month, installation will be tomorrow. They can't provide internet in my area so they recommended Bayan Telecommunications with offices in the same building. I met with Bayan just after lunch and by 3PM they sent me an SMS telling me they had already verified they could provide me with service. PLDT said that would take 2-3 weeks. They also told me they could get me installed next week, 2500 for install. Their market is small businesses but they have prices comparable to PLDT but without the landline. Plus, which is very nice for me since I still do some professional IT internet work, is that I get 2 static IP addresses.

I have been busy getting settled in at the new apartment but did manage to get out for a ride the other day. Went in mid afternoon when there is a chance for rain. I know better, should have went in the morning when it is clear and sunny in Baguio. The ride was much shorter than what I did in San Fernando due to the hills. You work much harder climbing those hills, but it is a better cardio workout. I had stopped to catch my breath going up a hill by the Country Club when lightning struck a pine tree about 50m away!! Then on the last part of the ride it rained and I got a bit wet. Thats ok, I now have the shower hot water heater installed. :) Which is a must have for Baguio which has temperatures 10C cooler than the lowlands.

Haven't checked out the bike shops yet. It is on my todo list since there are some accessories I could use for my bike. Plus I need some of those tight  spandex pants. ;)

Hopefully you will have great service!

I just saw your followup on the SMARTBRO improvement.  I am also using SMARTBRO WIMAX here in Subic and have similar experiences.  It works good for a few days and then starts dropping the signal a lot or is very slow.  Right now it has been very good for the last week or so, but when our contract is up, I will get DSL.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I had pretty good performance with my SmartBro in San Fernando,La Union. The jury is still out on whether I will have good performance for a sustained period of time here in Baguio. At least I have identified the DSL provider I will go with if SmartBro becomes nearly unusable again.

This summer I will be going back home to the USA for 2-3 months, so I would prefer to wait to sign up for DSL until I return if I can.

Thanks for checking out the ISP's for me.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

My fast DSL from Bayan Telecommunications was installed today. I have been very happy with their service compared to PLDT. I met with them on a Wed afternoon to inquire about service and within 2 hours they confirmed they could provide it. PLDT said it would take 2-3 weeks. They said they would do the install Wed afternoon or Thursday this week. Today, Wed afternoon they arrived to do the install. Only 3 business days from signup to install.

I have a static IP address which is nice for me since that will make it easier to configure the firewalls on the remote servers I administer. I also verified that I am getting 1.6 mbps download and 1.0 mbps upload. 1299php/month. The install was a bit steep at 2500php but worth it for the fast service. Plus they had to pull some phone cable through a large PVC pipe from the front of the property to the junction box for the phone service in the building.

They have their own 1.5gbps offshore network connection which should help improve network performance to websites outside the Philippines.

Now I won't have to walk to downtown Baguio in order to get a fast data connection with my android phone so I can make a VOIP call back to the USA like I had to do this morning.

Expect some postings with pics about my new place in Baguio now that I have a fast internet connection.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
terrymate
Posted
Posted

Hello earthdome,

Thanks to your advice I am now in the same block as you!

I came across this thread while searching for an internet provider.

Like you were, I am doing this with my phone as a wi fi connection.

How is your provider and speed etc holding up?

I would be grateful if you could tell me where to go to get a same or similar package if it is good.

Thanks

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Hello earthdome,

Thanks to your advice I am now in the same block as you!

I came across this thread while searching for an internet provider.

Like you were, I am doing this with my phone as a wi fi connection.

How is your provider and speed etc holding up?

I would be grateful if you could tell me where to go to get a same or similar package if it is good.

Thanks

Welcome to the neighborhood.

I was wondering if you had rented the open unit. I had noticed that the units for rent sign had been removed from the front of the building.

I just did a speed test and got 1mbps down and .75mbps up.

I use Bayan Telecommunications. http://www.bayan.com.ph/ Their office is on the second floor of the BPI bank building towards the upper end of Session Rd. Bayan costs a bit more than PLDT but they were able to do the install in less than 5 business days.

Sky Cable for cable tv is on the third floor of that same building. That makes it very convention for me. I can visit the bank (BPI) and pay both my DSL internet and Cable TV bills all at the same building in one trip.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
Davaoguy
Posted
Posted

Earthdome,

I am looking to move to Baguio and will need an internet provider, how is Bayan working out? How much do they charge and what speeds do they offer? U had your line installed in May and you went through the rainy season. Any disconnections or interruptions  or down time when it was raining heavily? Any power outages in your area during the rainy season, if so, how long? I use the internet for work, would need reliable line, even during the rainy season, i can get generator if power goes down, but internet lines still needs to fuction, even in bad weather, any apartments you can recommend ? thanks Hope things are working out well for you there

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Bayan has been very reliable. In over a year of service I have only had a few extended outages (hours each) while I still had electric. For 1.5mbs I am paying 1399 pesos. Bayan does have faster and more expensive service. Their website states you can get service up to 8mbs over DSL.

http://www.bayanbusiness.com.ph/solutions_internet.php

Regarding electric other than the power flickering a bit I haven't had any outages due to the weather. Once in a great while there will be a planned outage lasting all day (8 hours). DSL should work if power goes out as long as you have power for the DSL modem and your wifi router. I haven't tested that here.

You could always get an LTE stick with a data plan as a backup internet and with a laptop you would still have use of the internet for a while even without electric.

In my building there is a 2 bedroom and an office suite vacant right now. I moved last spring from a studio apartment to a 2 bedroom in the same building.

Things are going very well. But I need to join a gym now. With all the rain I am not getting out as much to get exercise.

• Like 1

Davaoguy
Posted
Posted

thanks for the reply, what area do you live in?  i can look it up on google earth. How much does a studio and a 2 bedroom cost? what is the sqm for them? and what are the move in costs? how is the area u live in? quiet? or you have dogs barking or chickens in the area? 

earthdome
Posted
Posted

thanks for the reply, what area do you live in?  i can look it up on google earth. How much does a studio and a 2 bedroom cost? what is the sqm for them? and what are the move in costs? how is the area u live in? quiet? or you have dogs barking or chickens in the area? 

I live in the Navy Base area, St. Joesph Village. Close to the Botanical Garden on Leonardwood Rd. Only a 15 minute walk from the Baguio expat hangout, the Red Lion Pub. You will notice on the satellite view of this area that this side of Baguio is less densely populated and still has alot of pine trees.

Studio is 10k pesos/month and the 2BR is 15k pesos/month. One months rent and 2 months deposit required when you sign the one year lease.

The Studio is around 30sqm the 2BR is around 40sqm. SInce you don't need heat or aircon the electric bills are low, usually less than 1k pesos/month.

If you have a car there is parking in front of the building. Jeepney loading area just one house away and a place where taxis hangout waiting for passengers just one block away.

I like the area. For the Philippines, in the city, it is relatively quite. Loud videoke parties are rare. No loud roosters nearby. A few dogs that bark.