Deed Of Sale

insite
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I have purchased a second hand vehicle privately.

I would like to get a deed of sale drawn up - is it the norm to use a lawyer for this documentation or are there other safe options ?

What costs might I be expected to incur for such a document.

Any assistance much appreciated.

Ciaran.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

How did you purchase the vehicle without a Deed of Sale? You're going to need it to transfer ownership. I don't think it's required to be notarized but mine was. 

Here are the necessary docs:

http://www.formsphilippines.com/guide/121/plain-transfer-of-ownership-for-private-vehicles

• Like 1

insite
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike - I am in the process of the transfer now - did you have your transfer notarised by a lawyer or notary or are the the same or different services here ?

I am on a 59 day visa to be renewed - I will soon look to a SRRV visa - are there any issues with this in relation to car ownership I should be aware of ?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I think only lawyers here can notarize. The seller's lawyer drew up the Deed of Sale and notarized it, I didn't pay him. My experience with lawyers here is they will try to get as much out of you as possible. To notarize a simple doc should not be more then a few hundred pesos but I don't think it's a requirement for a deed of sale between seller and buyer of a vehicle.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I was told i needed a notarized deed of sale to transfer the registration to my name but if you want to continue to register it in the previous owners name it is commonly done and the notarized deed of sale is not required.  At least such is my experience.  Better check where you plan to register it.  Rules change with location it sometimes seems.

jon1
Posted
Posted

I would transfer the CR to your name. I believe that you have 90 days to get this done or there could be problems with the LTO (saying your Deed of Sale is too old). Also make sure that you got copies of 2 photo IDs of the seller. It's a major PITA to get it registered in your name without that. I had a motorcycle that was registered in someone's name that the seller bought it from. So I had TWO Deeds of Sale to square away. It ended up costing me twice to transfer from original owner to seller's name, then seller's to mine. They were asking for the original seller's photo IDs and I had no way to contact them. I ended up paying an additional 1000p to make that go away...

There are plenty of notaries around. You don't necessarily have to go to a lawyer to have that done. However, if the lawyer is preparing the deed of sale, then it would be more convenient to have them do it.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

There are plenty of notaries around. You don't necessarily have to go to a lawyer to have that done.

With few exceptions, the notaries in the Philippines are lawyers, the exception being a municipality with no lawyers. In that case a judge can appoint a non-lawyer to temporarily act as notary. I would be wary of any document "notarized" by someone other then a lawyer.

http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080124202701AAdHmI4

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

There are plenty of notaries around. You don't necessarily have to go to a lawyer to have that done.

With few exceptions, the notaries in the Philippines are lawyers, the exception being a municipality with no lawyers. In that case a judge can appoint a non-lawyer to temporarily act as notary. I would be wary of any document "notarized" by someone other then a lawyer.

Great info.. I didn't know that. I have seen non-lawyers doing this for condo leases in the past in Manila. I just assumed that it was like the states that you could be a Notary even though you were not a lawyer.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Oh. I DID thought it would be enough to bring the seller with his documents (CR and such) to the registration office and THEY do the rest. Crazy me. I forgot it's in the Philippines   :lol:    

I did thought it was the best solution, because I don't want to pay to the seller anyway before I see if there are any trouble transfering the car to my name.

---

Sure transfer the car to my name. If keeping the documents in other's name, I suppouse they can use it as security for a loan, and I suppouse they don't want to pay it back, when they lose MY car by not paying back   :hystery:

• Like 1

johnb
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I have purchased a second hand vehicle privately.

I would like to get a deed of sale drawn up - is it the norm to use a lawyer for this documentation or are there other safe options ?

What costs might I be expected to incur for such a document.

Any assistance much appreciated.

Ciaran.

Hi Ciaran, my wife and I Just purchased a vehicle from a private seller, and have just [9 days ago] gone through the procedure for change of ownership, we did require a notarized bill of sale, we already had one from the seller as they are leaving the country, it cost the seller 500p for the the notarization [ you can get cheaper] i Believe he used the same lawyer that dealt with his house sale, you will also need a copy of a pictured ID from the seller when applying to LTO for the change of ownership.