Living On $1,262 Social Security

robert k
Posted
Posted

The key to living on 1,262 a month in the Philippines.... 

1. Do not own a car, buy a motorcycle or even motorized bike (See them advertised at 20k Peso new)

2. Try and find somewhere rent free. Live with family friends,or buy a container home brand new 150K.

3. Limit helping too many family members.

I'm curious about the container homes for 150k. I'd be interested in hearing more in a pm if you have time and feel like it after you can PM.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
2. Try and find somewhere rent free. Live with family friends,or buy a container home brand new 150K.
Or a Nipa hut. RP tax rules say them worth under 5000pesos don't need to pay any estate tax  :)  
I'm curious about the container homes for 150k. I'd be interested in hearing more in a pm if you have time and feel like it after you can PM.
Here you have some information, photos and links to more information  http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/14687-container-living/?hl=container
  • Like 1

RickRoy
Posted
Posted

Robert K,

Just do a google search for container home manila. That will give you options for a for sale board suilt or some such. There are 3-4 different mfg in Manila. You can also get them made in China by many many different companies, but then shipping and trust is a concern.

Many of these are not actually used container conversions, but rather the steel frame with Insulated walls built in new from top to bottom. There are videos on youtube as well.

Rick

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Robert, RickRoy and Thomas, you bring interesting housing ideas it has been covered somewhat here on the forum but this is great information please keep it up.

If wish to search out a topic via the SEARCH FUNCTION tool at the top right of every page just to the right of the little magnifying glass is a star icon. Push the star icon to use special search functions. I searched for "Shipping Container Homes" and found a mixture of topics including some on using shipping containers as a home.

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/11816-no-mobile-homes-in-the-philippines/page-3?hl=%2Bshipping+%2Bcontainer+%2Bhome#entry60570

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
you bring interesting housing ideas it has been covered somewhat here on the forum but this is great information please keep it up.
I joked a bit earlier about Nipa hut,

BUT - if you don't need the MOVING possibility - I believe a Nipa hut can be a BETTER alternative than a container house. Or perhaps a concrete. You can get a good Nipa hut for much less than what a container house cost. But add proper issolation in the roof.

robert k
Posted
Posted

you bring interesting housing ideas it has been covered somewhat here on the forum but this is great information please keep it up.
I joked a bit earlier about Nipa hut,

BUT - if you don't need the MOVING possibility - I believe a Nipa hut can be a BETTER alternative than a container house. Or perhaps a concrete. You can get a good Nipa hut for much less than what a container house cost. But add proper issolation in the roof.

Add the fact that a nipa hut probably cost less than you had been paying in property tax in your home country, if it blows away, build a new one. If it doesn't blow away, build another one anyway and the old one can be the guesthouse and or rental property. :)

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Add the fact that a nipa hut probably cost less than you had been paying in property tax in your home country, if it blows away, build a new one. If it doesn't blow away, build another one anyway and the old one can be the guesthouse and or rental property.  :)
 And because of their flexibility, they often stand earthquakes better than common concrete houses  :)  

namoi
Posted
Posted

I am in Aus living on the disabilty pension receiving  about $1,600 per month with a small allacoated pension from super, i said small but it helps, how would i go in the Phills??? I have a caravan that i have done up with inverters, battries etc and don`t have to pay rent to anybody as i mostly travel and find a nice area near a river or such to stay and just relax, do a bit of fishing and umm just relax again, i really am interested in heading to the Phills but am haveing trouble working this forum out as i want to learn a bit about the place, I have been to TH and maybe have to end up there, I will not go there on a holiday on a tour package as you don`t get to see the real world.....

You would go well except if you're thinking of caravanning around the Philippines. You would also need to do some checking as I Believe you will not get the same disability pension while living overseas from the Australian government.

There are plenty of cheap ways to travel around the Philippines and tour packages are not one of them.   :thumbsup:

no the caravan was to give an idea of how I am living here, being on the disabilty pension and under retirment age for another 17 months I am only allowed to leave Aus for 6 weeks now, the last few years it was 12 weeks befor i lose anything, when the age pension kicks in i am pretty free to come and go as i please, after  weeks you lose your medical and a couple of other things that is added on like a pittance for power, phone etc then it is about $30.00 per fortnight from memory, I had no intentions of arriving there on a tour package, I am just wanting to find out for myself, the good, the bad and no need to worry about the ugly i will bring me....

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Another thing to consider if you're living only on an SS check is that they can suspend your payments for a number of reasons. Periodically, they send out letters to verify if you're still alive or if your situation has changed, I just got one a few weeks ago. No matter where you live the letters are sent US mail, the delivery time was far better then average and I got it in about 3 weeks. If they do not receive the reply form back in 60 days they suspend your benefits. You can be reinstated with back payments but it takes time. Relying 100% on SS is a very bad idea. 

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Another thing to consider if you're living only on an SS check is that they can suspend your payments for a number of reasons. Periodically, they send out letters to verify if you're still alive or if your situation has changed, I just got one a few weeks ago. No matter where you live the letters are sent US mail, the delivery time was far better then average and I got it in about 3 weeks. If they do not receive the reply form back in 60 days they suspend your benefits. You can be reinstated with back payments but it takes time. Relying 100% on SS is a very bad idea. 

This revelation from MikeB is a reminder about Murphy's Law -- chit happens no matter how well you

prepare yourself in PI.  I would hate to rely on US mail going to the local Philippine mail service.  Often

times, items will disappear in their black hole and you may need a couple hundred pesos to motivate

local postal officials to locate your letter or package.  

There must be some other way?  Can't we schedule periodical appointments to the local US SS office

and confirm in person your identity in order to continue receiving SS benefits?  

Thank you MikeB for the reality check!