Living On $1,262 Social Security

Thomas
Posted
Posted
My present rent Php 32.000 month in Cebu city
Find me a new modern fully furnished place for Php15.000 a month - without 2-3 months deposit or any advanced, other than the rent for 1st month - and I buy you a dinner at TGI Friday's!

(Yes, health insurance can cost much.)

ONE month in deposit is NORMAL in the Philippines.

I found several such appartments in a few minutes, even a nice looking HOUSE for 7000p/month...

But I don't like to go to restaurants, so I give you this for free  :)  http://www.ayosdito.ph/Condo+type+apartment+at+Cebu+City-5910076-1.htm

Seem good.

"kano toilet".

2 bedrooms but in closet size  :) 

(It say "Fully furnished" but it isn't, just partly.)

But why do you need to rent fully furnished, if you live in Cebu permanenly/long time???

As always we have those who manage or 800 $ a month - Respect to them - I wouldn't be here if I had 800$ or 1200$ budget.
Just cuorious - Wanting 32 000p rent appartments, where would you live, if you had 800-1200 USD budget?  :)

(I still live in Sweden in a 6 rooms villa, spending just a litle over 1000 USD/month in average...)

Curley
Posted
Posted

The biggest single cost in Cebu Andy's budget is his rent, 32,000 pesos a month or roughly 733 US dollars. That's a lot of money for anyone trying to live economically. Add to that two meals a day in a mall and you have two items that you could save a LOT of money on if you wanted to live on a lower budget.

It's one of the reasons that I looked elsewhere to find my retirement home, I now OWN my house and land with the same rights as the local population. At Andy's rent I will have paid for it in a few years.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

CebuAndy is fortunate to have enough money for a lifestyle that is more suitable for his personal needs and wants. Some of us may have similar financial resources, but we choose to spend less. 

While this forum is not "Lifestyle for the Rich and Famous" it is inclusive. Some have more and others have less. The common thread is a strong interest in the Philippines. From my readings of forum topics, there is also a strong sense of responsibility. This includes living within budget and helping care for their new, extended family. I suspect some of the help is more generous than forum members care to admit.

Many cultures are suspicious of outsiders. The Philippines is more open and accepting of intermarriages. The families welcome with open arms their daughters marrying foreigners. A cynic might comment that the reason is the foreigner is usually wealthier than the rest and is therefore a future source for funds. In my opinion, the reasons are deeper and more complex. 

Going back to CebuAndy, I am more curious about the location and quality of his residence. This is part of my on going research since part of our future retirement plans may include a long-stay program in the Philippines. It would include residency in Metro Manila and Metro Cebu. From both locations we can visit at leisure other places throughout the Philippines. As seniors, my wife and I have minimum requirements including a clean toilet and a clean room. Security is also important. Whether the room is fancy or bare is less important. 

• Like 2

brock
Posted
Posted
(I still live in Sweden in a 6 rooms villa, spending just a litle over 1000 USD/month in average...)

Thomas, Can I come and live with you please,  :thumbsup: 

Jake
Posted
Posted

I presents facts, rather than fiction. Medical insurance here in Philippines can cost up to $ 4.780 or Php 200.000 year.

My example is far from the most expensive.

http://www.bluecross.com.ph/index.php?id=medical

Choose a medical plan - click on PREMIUMS

OK.....I get your drift CebuAndy.  Are you implying that Brock is presenting fiction??  This topic of monthly

budget will vary from one member to another.  It's like wiping one's ass.....which hand to use.  To each his

own, in other words.  

Let's try to keep this thread civil and friendly, shall we......

Respectfully -- Jake

Did I lie about Medical insurance Jake ? Do I?

When someone say "Seems to be a bit expensive" when facts is that medical can cost 5 times more than I used in my situation, am I wrong? Am I wrong?

I am friendly, but lately I seen a negative trend on the forum, and I hate people who questioning my integrity or honesty or facts.

I reply with proven facts, not "Seems to be a bit expensive", when the contrary is the facts about medical insurance.

I present FACTS and I proove it with my link.

I rest my case.

Hey CebuAndy, yeah....I'm talking to you: You don't READ what I write (your quote, not mine).  My intention

was to bring up your adversarial attitude about you attacking Brock.  I don't give a rat's ass about your cost

in medical, housing and daily expenses.  But I will repeat it here....seems to be a bit expensive.

Butt, that's my opinion as well as Brock's.  And you're coming back like your chit don't stink with your know it

all attitude.  Like I said....how we handle our own monthly budget is like wiping my ass with my left hand and

then switch over to the other hand.  Sounds silly doesn't it?  You could come up with a thousand justifications

of your spending habits and I can come up with equal number of counterpoints.  Big deal...why waste my time?

This topic whether one could live in PI on 800, 1200 bucks or whatever, will always have some opinions unique

to someone's lifestyle.  Don't you get it?  Chill out, OK?

I rest my case -- Jake

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted
Did I lie about Medical insurance Jake ? Do I?

Andy, I didnt say you lied....I said it seems to be expensive....I dont know what the cost of medical cover is now....For me it seems expensive thats all, Nobody called you a liar...

I hate people who questioning my integrity or honesty or facts.

I didnt question any of those....

Seems as though you jumped down my throat a bit quick there...

And I said you can find a really nice place a lot cheaper than 32.000 a month, Which you can,.... Even a hotel..

Did you READ what I wrote ?

• Like 1

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
You could find a lot cheaper if you wanted too..

8000 php a month(but then again I'm single and living in a studio apartment) :morning1: :cheersty:

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Which raises the question if you are one of those 'secret millionaires' who people would say, after your death, that they had no idea you were rich until after your mattress was moved and 4 million $$$ fell out. Not that I am hoping you die anytime soon just so we can find out....

Which brings up ways to die! I really like Jake's concept of his own death. Shot to death by a jealous boy friend.... when he is 104 years old and caught in bed having sex with one of his great grand daughter's college sorority friends! Got to admit Jake thinks in style. Even at 104, Jake still had good strong knees......   :hystery:

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

You could find a lot cheaper if you wanted too..

8000 php a month(but then again I'm single and living in a studio apartment) :morning1: :cheersty:

Yes, that I find a good level. There are even houses to rent for such sums.

Many cultures are suspicious of outsiders. The Philippines is more open and accepting of intermarriages. The families welcome with open arms their daughters marrying foreigners. A cynic might comment that the reason is the foreigner is usually wealthier than the rest and is therefore a future source for funds. In my opinion, the reasons are deeper and more complex.
Many Asians want our genes too  :)   (=Lighter skin, some want our noses too).

Thomas, Can I come and live with you please,  :thumbsup: 

No, but you can buy my house, I'm selling it to prepare to move to RP  :)

Which raises the question if you are one of those 'secret millionaires' who people would say, after your death, that they had no idea you were rich until after your mattress was moved and 4 million $$$ fell out. Not that I am hoping you die anytime soon just so we can find out....

One of the American millionaires said something like "It isn't the big incomes, which make you rich, it's the small costs." I don't agree fully, but partly. Many do the misstake valuing the stock market companies after their revenue even when they lose money!!!  

I hope I will get enough pay for my house to be a PESO millionaire  :lol:

(I'm not interested in money, if just having enough to live "OK", which have made I have worked much volontairingly instead of exbanding the business I had before I got bored of it and sold it, and I have worked hard in periods but mainly "relaxed" doing fun/interesting things in periods in between. But now it would have been better if I would have much money, so I could have done more "Help-to-self-help" in RP  :)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This topic seems to be getting hostile and part of the problem lies here with the title "Living On $1,262 Social Security"  not stating exactly where. Now as we know it depends where you live, some members seem to think we are all talking about Cebu city but unless it states Cebu city it could mean that we are referring to some other area of the Philippines in the province which is cheaper to live. Some people base their costs on a fancy condo and some base theirs on a nipa hut behind the inlaws so yes the cost will vary and the same if we were talking about downtown Cebu city, if one smokes , drinks and sometimes does not come home at all then that persons cost is going to be different than the guy who likes to gaze at the mountain and drinks nothing but tap water and is just as happy. So if anyone wants to compare the cost or talk about the actual topic which is, Living On $1,262 Social Security, then please consider that its not one size fits all.

Now can we all calm down.  :thumbsup:

• Like 3