Living On $1,262 Social Security

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
MikeB, on 30 Jun 2013 - 2:51 PM, said: Another thing to consider if you're living only on an SS check is that they can suspend your payments for a number of reasons. Periodically, they send out letters to verify if you're still alive or if your situation has changed, I just got one a few weeks ago. No matter where you live the letters are sent US mail, the delivery time was far better then average and I got it in about 3 weeks. If they do not receive the reply form back in 60 days they suspend your benefits. You can be reinstated with back payments but it takes time. Relying 100% on SS is a very bad idea.  This revelation from MikeB is a reminder about Murphy's Law -- chit happens no matter how well you prepare yourself in PI.  I would hate to rely on US mail going to the local Philippine mail service.  Often times, items will disappear in their black hole and you may need a couple hundred pesos to motivate local postal officials to locate your letter or package.     There must be some other way?  Can't we schedule periodical appointments to the local US SS office and confirm in person your identity in order to continue receiving SS benefits?     Thank you MikeB for the reality check!

This is an excellent suggestion. The Social Security Administration is under pressure from the US Congress because of fraud, waste and abuse. Their problem are tracking Americans receiving benefits overseas. Perhaps an annual personal visit to a local US SS office would be acceptable as verification that you are still alive.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Another thing to consider if you're living only on an SS check is that they can suspend your payments for a number of reasons. Periodically, they send out letters to verify if you're still alive or if your situation has changed, I just got one a few weeks ago. No matter where you live the letters are sent US mail, the delivery time was far better then average and I got it in about 3 weeks. If they do not receive the reply form back in 60 days they suspend your benefits. You can be reinstated with back payments but it takes time. Relying 100% on SS is a very bad idea. 

This revelation from MikeB is a reminder about Murphy's Law -- chit happens no matter how well you

prepare yourself in PI.  I would hate to rely on US mail going to the local Philippine mail service.  Often

times, items will disappear in their black hole and you may need a couple hundred pesos to motivate

local postal officials to locate your letter or package.  

There must be some other way?  Can't we schedule periodical appointments to the local US SS office

and confirm in person your identity in order to continue receiving SS benefits?  

Thank you MikeB for the reality check!

I suppose it can be solved by let your mail go to e g some relative still living in your home country, let them open the official ones, scan and send them in a hurry to you as attached in emails.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I suppose it can be solved by let your mail go to e g some relative still living in your home country, let them open the official ones, scan and send them in a hurry to you as attached in emails.

Or you could use a mail-forwarding service which accomplishes the same, although you are supposed to notify them of your actual living address if you're out of the country more then 30 days. I suspect most recipients living overseas do that. As for going to an SS office in person, there's only one in the Philippines, it's a part of the US Embassy in Manila. What would help tremendously is giving those with overseas addresses access to the SS web site so we could do Change of Addresses, direct deposit changes, etc instead of going through Manila.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have not started dealing with Social Security yet but I plan on telling them the same thing I told my old job, the VA, the IRS, and anyone else who asks for my address - the address of my mail forwarding service in Texas!  I have not told anyone officially that I live over here.  I am not exactly lying as I am on a tourist visa...

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

If you are retired military, living near Olongapo, Manila or Cebu, there are Retired Activities Offices that allow you to get US Letter mail via FPO (a US mailing address at the Embassy).

In Olongapo, it costs $60 annually for the privelege. That pays for the volunteers and the facility costs. 

On MikeBs comment;

Or you could use a mail-forwarding service which accomplishes the same, although you are supposed to notify them of your actual living address if you're out of the country more then 30 days. I suspect most recipients living overseas do that. As for going to an SS office in person, there's only one in the Philippines, it's a part of the US Embassy in Manila. What would help tremendously is giving those with overseas addresses access to the SS web site so we could do Change of Addresses, direct deposit changes, etc instead of going through Manila.

Are you saying that you can't access the SS web site from the Philippines? If so, try using a VPN (such as HMA) that will give you a US Based IP vs a PHIL IP...

If you report that you are overseas for longer than 30 days, does it affect your benefits?

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Are you saying that you can't access the SS web site from the Philippines? If so, try using a VPN (such as HMA) that will give you a US Based IP vs a PHIL IP...   If you report that you are overseas for longer than 30 days, does it affect your benefits?

No, you can access the SS web site fine but you have to register to the site by using your mailing address and SSN on file. If your address of record is out of the states or territories you cannot register. But I just read that they are in the process of changing that to allow recipients who are living overseas to register and access the site. There are some countries that they will not send payments to but the Philippines is not one them. 

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10137.pdf

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

Are you saying that you can't access the SS web site from the Philippines? If so, try using a VPN (such as HMA) that will give you a US Based IP vs a PHIL IP...   If you report that you are overseas for longer than 30 days, does it affect your benefits?

No, you can access the SS web site fine but you have to register to the site by using your mailing address and SSN on file. If your address of record is out of the states or territories you cannot register. But I just read that they are in the process of changing that to allow recipients who are living overseas to register and access the site. There are some countries that they will not send payments to but the Philippines is not one them. 

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10137.pdf

Good stuff to know. Thanks for the post! I think that if I am ever to collect the benefit I will just have it electronically deposited stateside into my checking account...

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
There are some countries that they will not send payments to but the Philippines is not one them.

The only countries in the prohibited list are North Korea and Cuba. You have other more serious problems if you want to retire in North Korea. Cuba will become a major retirement destination for Floridians and other Americans seeking more affordable retirement places. It's impossible for American politicians to normalize relationships while Fidel Castro is still alive. The Cuban-American vote is too powerful. Raul Castro claims he is stepping down. Once the Castro brothers are gone, it's "Hello Havana!" 

The irony is the 2nd generation of Cuban-Americans is the group that is expected to gain most economically when relationships normalize.

Edited by JJReyes

stevewool
Posted
Posted

easy peasy, is the answer on living on that large amount per month, well for me it will be,

Many know my story about moving to bohol in the next few years and so far nothing as changed, infact its getting better and closer the more we talk about this,

You must have a starting fund and also a fund for emergencies, we shall have both of them, but the total until my pension kicks in will be around £850 a month to live on, here in england we live on a lot less,

We dont want to live like kings but also we dont want to struggle too, thats why you need that fund for the just in case things,

Our biggest problem at this time is trying to find that lot to say lets buy it, but until that time we shall change our minds on renting, buying a house , doing the family house up, just do the tour thing for a few years and on and on and on we go, but all the time the kitty is getting bigger and bigger, roll on the good times :thumbsup:

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Cash is king and if the kitty continues to grow, so much better. You are actually in a good position because there is no timetable as to when the lot must be purchased. The downside is the materials needed for construction will continue to rise.