Safest Place Anywhere In The Philippines?

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

As the question is Safest Place in the Philippines, I thought this article would provide some information for further discussion. 

However I would make a note that there is a cautionary note in regards to the data "But it gathers data through user input, thus although it is popularly consulted as source for cost of living, its data have to be addressed with caution."

Still I found the information interesting, and definitely related to this topic.

Davao ranked as 4th safest in 349 cities

Sunday, August 11, 2013

DAVAO -- The city of Davao ranked fourth as the world's safest place, according to website Numbeo.com.

Out of 349 entries, Davao City is the only metropolis in the Philippines that made it to the top 10. It has a crime index of 13.27 and safety index of 86.73.

Makati landed at 20th place with a crime index of 18.75 and safety index of 81.25.

The only other cities listed from the Philippines are: Manila with a crime index of 64.54 and safety index of 35.46, and Cebu with a crime index of 46.88 and safety index of 53.12.

According to the website, safety index is, on the other way, quite opposite of crime index. If the city has a high safety index, it is considered very safe.

It said that it is 93.75 percent safe to walk alone during daylight in Davao, while 76.69 percent safe to walk alone during night.

"These data are based on perceptions of visitors of this website in the past two years. If value is 0, it means it is perceived as very low, and if value is 100, it means it is perceived as very high," the website said.

With regard the crime index of 18.75, the website explained, the issue with the highest rate is the problem on corruption and bribery with 31.67, followed by “worries things from car stolen” with 29.69, then “worries home broken and things stolen” with 26.56.

The issue with the least crime rate is “worries being subject to a physical attack because of your skin color, ethnic origin or religion” with 6.67.

Treat with caution

The source Numbeo claims to be the world’s largest database of user contributed data about cities and countries worldwide.

It provides current and timely information on world living conditions including cost of living, housing indicators, health care, traffic, crime and pollution.

But it gathers data through user input, thus although it is popularly consulted as source for cost of living, its data have to be addressed with caution.

User input can skew data and will not reflect the whole picture, especially from places where there is not much available data. It cannot also be ascertained where and how the numbers can be verified.

The crime and safety indexes were published online at http://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_current.jsparound 11 p.m. of August 8.

The website also said that Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates placed first among the safest place with a safety index rate of 90.47, then Lugano, Switzerland (90.16), and third is Marbella, Spain (88.78).

Fifth is Taipei, Taiwan (86.26); next is Munich, Germany (86.06); Quebec City, Canada (85.55) ranked seventh; then Hong Kong, Hong Kong (85.51) as eighth; Seoul, South Korea (84.28) on ninth place; and Bern, Switzerland (84.24) as tenth.

Netizens happy

Netizens all over the country lauded the result posted online.

Chris Ryl said: "Akalain mo ba naman nasa Mindanao yun pa ang mas least of crime rate sa Pilipinas! at tumatak pa sa buong mundo... GO DAVAO!!!"

"Wow congrats. Ipahiram nyo po ang DDS sa Maynila pra maubos mga kriminal dun," netizen Kenneth G. Taningco said.

Some netizens also attributed the result to Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, the city’s executive chief for an unprecedented seventh term.

"Kung ganyan katapang ni mayor ng Davao ang nag papatakbo ng Pinas at pinapairal ang disiplina at batas, talagang my takot ang mga mokong gumawa ng kalokohan. Mabuhay ka mayor Doterte. Lagi mo akong kasangga sa ganyang prinsipyo," netizen Al Dallu said.

Edmund Moonraker said, "Thumbs up!! po ako kay Mayor Rudy R. Duterte. Maganda po ang kanyang pagdala ng Davao City. Mabuhay po kayo Mayor Duterte puwedi na po kayong tumakbo ng presidente sa 2016."

"Duterte for president!" Jevy Carretero Ramos said. (Sun.Star Davao/Sunnex)

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/local-news/2013/08/11/davao-ranked-4th-safest-349-cities-297317

Papa Carl

That is amazing, I would have never thought Davao would have rated a mention.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Neither did anyone else. if the safety info is user submitted, then depending on the number of submitted data events, if the number is a small number, a 'smart' government employee can submit enough false data to skew the rating to make the city safer than it actually is.

The FBI and local police departments in the US have been doing this for years to less the actual hard crime stats. One of the first vocabulary words taught in law enforcement school is the word 'UNFOUNDED'.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Well. Not so odd. The police have shot the criminals there  :)
  • Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Well. Not so odd. The police have shot the criminals there

Is this a bad thing? :89:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. I didn't say if it's bad or good.

I suppouse I think it's good, when it's murderers - if I'm not in the cross fire  :)

but I find it to hard if it's such "death penalties" for not violent thieves...

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Give it time Thomas, give it time. You will come around...... :tiphat:

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Well. I didn't say if it's bad or good.

I suppouse I think it's good, when it's murderers - if I'm not in the cross fire  :)

I can remember back in the early 80's, when I was working out of Subic Bay, I witnessed one of the white hats (that is what we called the Filipino Police in those days) shoot a man dead in the street, who had just stole someone's wallet and was running away. No matter how you slice it, that is kind of harsh.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
No matter how you slice it, that is kind of harsh.

Yes. However, look at it from the point of view of the NEXT victim of the thief. 'If only ' the criminal that broke into your house, raped your dog, assaulted your mother etc. had of been killed during the commission of a crime in the past, you would not have been a victim today. 

Furthering this logic, about 15 years ago, there was a study done on crime statistics. In looking at Detroit (no comment needed) and the crime rates for street crimes, and taking into consideration that abortion became legal in 1974, from 1990 to 2000 when these 'young men' who WOULD have been born but were not, and who WOULD have hit the teen to adult gang joining years, but did not... the crime rates dropped!

Why? Because the criminal was never born. You may draw your own conclusions from this. But there are many police offiers who do not sleep too well at night, because that 'had a shot' did not take that shot, and then years later when the criminal got out of prison, went on to much more violent crimes. The thought of 'that little kid' dying because the police officer did not drop the hammer 15 years before, does take a toll on the soul.

A lot of the social issues of today and be tracked back to when the police were stopped from dealing instantly and harshly with street crimes. Don't believe me... just ask your parents or grandparents....

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Give it time Thomas, give it time. You will come around...... :tiphat:

Do you mean shoting not violent thieves to death?

No, I will never, even if they stole MY bike or such,

but if they steal something expensive, they can be worth a hit. Perhaps the old method shooting them in their bottom, loading with salt  :mocking:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Let's not change this from "safest place in the Philippines" to "let's go shoot somebody", OK?

• Like 2