Gardening

Curley
Posted
Posted

Went by Mae's Organic Garden today to check them out .... man ... has that placed changed in the past 6 months .... got a nice local style restaurant inside but only local food (which we like) a great big tent in which to eat ...... it also a huge open sided pavilion out back for meetings and what not .... swimming pool and of course the gardens .... food looked good but we had already ate so I just had a carrot shake .....

Asked about organic fertilizer and was told all they have is worm castings so we got 10k of that but it won't do much good with out mixing it with the clay so I guess I'm back to looking for chemical fertilizers ...... OH .... and we harvested our first veggies today 5 tomatoes and one bell pepper ...... there were orange color but we picked them anyway to keep the birds from pecking them .... we'll finish ripening them on the windowsill ...... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

With all the pigs and roosters that are kept in the Phils you want to use chemical fertilisers? Chemical fertilisers are basicaly NPK. N stands for nitrogen, which is responsible for strong stem and foliage growth. P is for phosphorus, which aids in healthy root growth, flower and seed production. K stands for potassium, which is responsible for improving overall health and disease resistance. What you don-t get are all the trace elements and minerals that are found in natural compost. Surely the idea of growing your own fruit and veg is to grow better quality than you can buy?

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Asked about organic fertilizer and was told all they have is worm castings so we got 10k of that but it won't do much good with out mixing it with the clay so I guess I'm back to looking for chemical fertilizers ...... ... :thumbsup:

I was wondering why after buying your worm castings you still wanted chemicals...... the penny just dropped, you can't mix it with your soil because the plants are growing in it right? Then use the worm castings to make a liquid fertiliser.

Take a bucket of water (if chlorinated tap water let it stand for a day to get rid of the chlorine)

Add a half cup of the local natural sugar preferably add to some hot water first to soften/melt it.

Add two cups of worm castings.

Let it brew for 24 hours stirring frequently or even better take some of the liquid out and pour it back into the bucket from a height.

If you have an aerator pump then put that in the brew as the microbes love oxygen

Your plants will thank me.

Edit. Spray it on your tomato plant leaves but do it after the sun has gone down, if you do it in strong sunlight you can burn the leaves.

Edited by Curley
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
With all the pigs and roosters that are kept in the Phils you want to use chemical fertilisers?

First of all thanks for all the great information you've provided .... but I don't know where to find any pig farms close to me but I'll check .... as far as chickens go if I remember they're crap is very strong in nitrogen but unfortunately like my next door neighbor their chickens run loose and just crap all over the place ..... same as the goats .... carabao poop would be great but again not any near us .... and why some one that has some doesn't bag and sell it is beyond me .... guess I'll just have to do more checking around where we live .... back in the states you could go into a farmers field with a shovel and bucket and collect the cow crap and they wouldn't care if you asked them ..... maybe I'll send the asawa out with a spade and bucket on a scouting mission ..... I'm sure she will love that but she can run faster than I can just in case the carabao gets pissed ... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Asked about organic fertilizer and was told all they have is worm castings so we got 10k of that but it won't do much good with out mixing it with the clay so I guess I'm back to looking for chemical fertilizers ...... ... :thumbsup:

I was wondering why after buying your worm castings you still wanted chemicals...... the penny just dropped, you can't mix it with your soil because the plants are growing in it right? Then use the worm castings to make a liquid fertiliser.

Take a bucket of water (if chlorinated tap water let it stand for a day to get rid of the chlorine)

Add a half cup of the local natural sugar preferably add to some hot water first to soften/melt it.

Add two cups of worm castings.

Let it brew for 24 hours stirring frequently or even better take some of the liquid out and pour it back into the bucket from a height.

If you have an aerator pump then put that in the brew as the microbes love oxygen

Your plants will thank me.

Edit. Spray it on your tomato plant leaves but do it after the sun has gone down, if you do it in strong sunlight you can burn the leaves.

Thanks Curley .... I'll give that a try .... I was just going to mix it with the soil  for the next batch of veggies or aerate the soil around the plants and then water it in ....

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

If you are a brewed coffee drinker, the used coffee ground is mixed with top soil for certain types of vegetables. I believe tomatoes is one of them. Also, ash can be mixed with top soil. 

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

Tea leaves and finely-ground eggs shells too ...

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

All kitchen scraps can be turned into wonderful compost and added to your clay soil

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I promised my little niece I'd pay her to fill us 2 sacks of carabao poop  as they live in the country .... I made the same offer to my asawa but she said I didn't pay enough .... :mocking:  ..... anyway I'm sure my niece and nephews will gather us up some for a small fee .... :hystery:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well I promised my little niece I'd pay her to fill us 2 sacks of carabao poop  as they live in the country .... I made the same offer to my asawa but she said I didn't pay enough .... :mocking:  ..... anyway I'm sure my niece and nephews will gather us up some for a small fee .... :hystery:

Where will you store it, it take time before poo become fertilizer  :)   I believe around 6 month.

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Where will you store it, it take time before poo become fertilizer :) I believe around 6 month.

Well we used to just dry it out and then mix it with the soil and plant .... seemed to work pretty good .... but now I find I can pee in it and it will work even better ..... :thumbsup:

Curly .... I did a research on the web for urine fertilizer and they is just a ton of info on it ..... they even are teaching 3rd world countries how to use it to grow crops ..... sad part is is that the dilution rate goes from .... peeing directly on the base of the plant (not on the leaves) to mixing it 50:1 .... seems everyone has their own secrete formula .... :mocking: ..... so I tried it today (no Jake I didn't go out and pee on my plants .... ) on my banana trees which have refused to grow after we transplanted them to another spot ..... mixture was roughly 1 part urine to 10 parts water ..... just kind of experimenting with it .... next I'm going to try it on a tomato growing in a big flower pot but won't mix it quite so strong .... have a new batch of tomato seedlings coming along so the flower pot on will serve as the guinea pig ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: ..... thanks for all the tips ..... seems like you are really into gardening ..... :thumbsup:

• Like 2