Gardening

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Well we used to just dry it out and then mix it with the soil and plant .... seemed to work pretty good .... but now I find I can pee in it and it will work even better ....
Well.  Sometimes  :)

Pee and poo are different things, some toilets even separate them.

Pee don't need any "burning" period before using,

and they have different nutrision proportions.

Different soils and different plants need different fertilizers. Some need different fertilizer during different periods of the grewing.

Curley
Posted
Posted

Where will you store it, it take time before poo become fertilizer :) I believe around 6 month.

Well we used to just dry it out and then mix it with the soil and plant .... seemed to work pretty good .... but now I find I can pee in it and it will work even better ..... :thumbsup:

Curly .... I did a research on the web for urine fertilizer and they is just a ton of info on it ..... they even are teaching 3rd world countries how to use it to grow crops ..... sad part is is that the dilution rate goes from .... peeing directly on the base of the plant (not on the leaves) to mixing it 50:1 .... seems everyone has their own secrete formula .... :mocking: ..... so I tried it today (no Jake I didn't go out and pee on my plants .... ) on my banana trees which have refused to grow after we transplanted them to another spot ..... mixture was roughly 1 part urine to 10 parts water ..... just kind of experimenting with it .... next I'm going to try it on a tomato growing in a big flower pot but won't mix it quite so strong .... have a new batch of tomato seedlings coming along so the flower pot on will serve as the guinea pig ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: ..... thanks for all the tips ..... seems like you are really into gardening ..... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

Into gardening? Hmmmm not sure but certainly growing healthy food does interest me and having been brought up on a smallholding I guess it sort of comes naturally. I've bought 1.5 acres with my new place and intend to set up an aquaponics system to grow my own fish, fruit and veg organically with perhaps a sideline of supplying restaurants with quality products. My small garden here does very well with my pee mixed at 10 to one and all my kitchen waste, weeds and leaves are composted.

All I need to do is to find a good woman keen on gardening then sit back and tell her what to do while I supervise.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

Did you leave a lot of leaves on your banana trees? It will probably help to cut a lot of the leaves off, the poor trees still have to find the energy to feed all the leaves as well as the rest of the tree, give them a chance to have to work less while getting established in their new homes

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I spent some happy time today peeing on my plants ..... well not actually .... I poured some on my plants ..... my next door neighbor has some teen age girls so I thought it not to be in my best interest to to whip it out and fertilize my garden ..... they just might not believe that is what I was doing ....... :hystery: :hystery: ..... we also found some rotting leaves and muck in the gutters of the street behind the house so we gathered it up and put it in the corner of our fence to start a compose pile .... what I read about urine is that you can pour it full strength on the pile and it will help activate it .....

And see ... we are all the time commenting about the Filipinos peeing everywhere outside and really all they are doing is helping the environment .... unless of course you have a wall they are peeing on and then it can get pretty stinky .... :mocking:

Banana leaves and trunks are a good fertilizer ... when I lived in Florida after my trees had born fruit I would cut down the trunk into small pieces and along with the leaves let it rot into the soil ..... had some wonderful bananas ...... but here they roll the leaves into so many different things I doubt that they use many of the leaves as fertilizer ..... 

with my new place and intend to set up an aquaponics system to grow my own fish, fruit and veg organically

I envy you I have read a lot about this and unfortunately I have neither the space nor funds to set one up where we now live ..... there are some very good YouTube videos on how to go about this .... but it has to be done right or you can quickely get into a jam and loose it all ..... good luck and please keep us posted on how your project turns out .... :thumbsup:

Curley
Posted
Posted

I envy you I have read a lot about this and unfortunately I have neither the space nor funds to set one up where we now live ..... there are some very good YouTube videos on how to go about this .... but it has to be done right or you can quickely get into a jam and loose it all ..... good luck and please keep us posted on how your project turns out ....  :thumbsup:

Thank you, I will be putting it on my website. My house sale should complete 3 weeks today and then on the next day I will be flying out to start my new life. 11th Sept is a good day for flying I'm told. lol

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Well I spent some happy time today peeing on my plants ..... well not actually .... I poured some on my plants ..... my next door neighbor has some teen age girls so I thought it not to be in my best interest to to whip it out and fertilize my garden ..... they just might not believe that is what I was doing ....... :hystery: :hystery: ..... we also found some rotting leaves and muck in the gutters of the street behind the house so we gathered it up and put it in the corner of our fence to start a compose pile ....
Don't your neighbours finding you crazy cleaning the street?  :)
what I read about urine is that you can pour it full strength on the pile and it will help activate it .....
Still think of urine has other proportions of plant nutrision. Different plants like some different nutrision proportions.  E g stinging nettles like urine firtilizer, so look up so they don't dominate your garden  :)
And see ... we are all the time commenting about the Filipinos peeing everywhere outside and really all they are doing is helping the environment .... unless of course you have a wall they are peeing on
Perhaps they hope the wall will grow  :)

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Don't your neighbours finding you crazy cleaning the street?

Thomas ... actually in the very small sub-division we live in everyone sweeps the street and cubs in front of their house .... it just so happens that the street behind our place has no one living on the other side because of the creek that runs there (in fact no one can build there for almost 2 blocks) .... so we just kinda ignored it before except sweeping some of the leaves ..... unfortunately some neighbors on the other street clean out the jungle for small trees and trimed the bigger ones for the firewood .... they then chopped up the wood into small chunks for burning in their stove .... left the wood piled up in small piles in the street to dry .... when thye picked it up they left all the bark and twigs which we finally got tired of looking at and clean up the stuff along with leaves and muck to add to our compost .... got a pile about 3ft high by 6ft across .... so we got a good head start ..... by the way there were a lot of works in it so I know it will be good ..... what we called red wigglers ....  now to just let it ferment ..... we got about 6-8 pails of good garden soil out of the gutters .... no cars use it so no danger of oil or contaminants .... hence the worms ...... :thumbsup:

Mike S
Posted
Posted
I will be putting it on my website

Curley send me a message with the address of your website ..... I'd like to take a look if it has other gardening tips etc. ..... thanks

Curley
Posted
Posted

Don't your neighbours finding you crazy cleaning the street?

Thomas ... actually in the very small sub-division we live in everyone sweeps the street and cubs in front of their house .... it just so happens that the street behind our place has no one living on the other side because of the creek that runs there (in fact no one can build there for almost 2 blocks) .... so we just kinda ignored it before except sweeping some of the leaves ..... unfortunately some neighbors on the other street clean out the jungle for small trees and trimed the bigger ones for the firewood .... they then chopped up the wood into small chunks for burning in their stove .... left the wood piled up in small piles in the street to dry .... when thye picked it up they left all the bark and twigs which we finally got tired of looking at and clean up the stuff along with leaves and muck to add to our compost .... got a pile about 3ft high by 6ft across .... so we got a good head start ..... by the way there were a lot of works in it so I know it will be good ..... what we called red wigglers ....  now to just let it ferment ..... we got about 6-8 pails of good garden soil out of the gutters .... no cars use it so no danger of oil or contaminants .... hence the worms ...... :thumbsup:

Red wrigglers and compost, a fantastic combination. Take a look at compost tea, plenty of info on you tube.

Curley
Posted
Posted

I will be putting it on my website

Curley send me a message with the address of your website ..... I'd like to take a look if it has other gardening tips etc. ..... thanks

I will do, there's very little on it at the moment as I'm so busy sorting out life here but hopefully I will add a little more before leaving and then once I get settled in I hope to keep a diary/blog of everything that happens.