3 Best Reasons You Love Where You Hang Your Hat

bc_hombre
Posted
Posted

hey you all,

well, being new to the forum, and about to leave within the month for the philippines, i am looking for some answers to why this community's members have decided to call wherever they  are in the country, home. i have followed some of the threads on this site and have a rough idea after doing searches on where i may visit. i am currently living in nicaragua and going to be visiting various locations briefly to see if it will work for me. i am interested specifically in bohol, davao, cebu, palawan, or other locals you may suggest.  i have a pinay who will be travelling with me to make my visit easier. thanks for your insight in advance! K

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Any of the places you wrote can be good as well as parts of North Mindanao.

Are you planning to marry a Filipina? 

Who the wife is is a main factor when chosing settle place in my thinking.

Even IF you don't want to live close to your family-in-law, it can be good to settle somewhere where your wife have same first language as the locals, so you know what the locals are saying about you  :)   (E g Cebuano =Visaya is a big language spoken at Cebu, Bohol, Negros Oriental, part of Eastern Visaya and part of Mindanao (north and around Davao too.)

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Hombre,

Personally, I found three really, really good reasons:

post-686-0-99726500-1375193337_thumb.jpgpost-686-0-07620000-1375193377_thumb.jpgpost-686-0-48670800-1375193409_thumb.jpg

With your companion by your side.....sipping mango daiquiris, while watching the sunset as well as the sunrise.

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 3

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted (edited)

post-3353-0-50593600-1375202001_thumb.jppost-3353-0-09269400-1375202020_thumb.jppost-3353-0-36685700-1375202034_thumb.jp

This is my 3 reasons for staying!

That is right bitches! This is my girl, eat your hearts out! hehe

Edited by Medic Mike
  • Like 4

bc_hombre
Posted
Posted

attachicon.gifgill1.JPGattachicon.gifgill2.JPGattachicon.gifgill3.JPG

This is my 3 reasons for staying!

That is right bitches! This is my girl, eat your hearts out! hehe

guess you can hang your hat anywhere............good on ya

• Like 1

bc_hombre
Posted
Posted

Even IF you don't want to live close to your family-in-law, it can be good to settle somewhere where your wife have same first language as the locals, so you know what the locals are saying about you  :)   (E g Cebuano =Visaya is a big language spoken at Cebu, Bohol, Negros Oriental, part of Eastern Visaya and part of Mindanao (north and around Davao too.)

i have been told to live a couple of islands away. she is from north mindanao.what cities are you fond of on that island? she speaks 3 dialects and english, so i don't imagine it would ever be an issue. i speak spanish and i am surprised how many of the words and phrases are almost identical. hopefully i can pick it up quickly.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Think long term safety if you plan to move there. As compared to Nicaragua, I believe that the Philippines is safer. Especially if you stay out of Mindanao. Mike, who posted above with several cut and paste pics he found of pretty women on the internet, will be traveling to the south end of Mindanao soon. If he makes it back alive, he can update you as to the safety issues. If he does not make it back alive... well that should tell you something.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

i have been told to live a couple of islands away. she is from north mindanao.what cities are you fond of on that island? she speaks 3 dialects and english, so i don't imagine it would ever be an issue. i speak spanish and i am surprised how many of the words and phrases are almost identical. hopefully i can pick it up quickly.

I don't like any CITIES  :)   but some rural highland parts of Misamis Oriental and (north) Bukidnon.

I don't know after the peace treaty, but earlier muslim guerilla was in south half of Bukidnon, so I don't want to go there.

In the mountains between Villanueva and Gingoog is NPA guerilla, but they usualy don't bother civilians, even assisting sometimes against bad behaving Pinoys, so I'm NOT affraid of NPA.

Well. Speak is good, having it as first language is better  :)     

Your gf being from North Mindanao, I suppose her first language is Visayan, so you have some other islands to chose from, still having same language (but different dialects).

The "Other island rule" depend of what family the gf/wife has. Yes, in some cases you sure better live far away.

But some families are good, as for SOME of the forum members. Some families are very proud and WANT to manage THEMSELF even when they are very poor.

("My" family haven't asked for any support, but perhaps they wait until after the marriage  :mocking:

Yes, Tagalog (Filipino) has many words borrowed from Spanish since the Philippines was a Spanish colony. (Some funny it has BOTH the Spanish and an own set of counting words, but used in different situations!)

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

If Subic was not an option, my next choice would be Dumaguete (a 5 hr ferry ride from Dipolog), Dipolog (north western tip of Mindanao, followed by Davao. Davao makes my list as the urban city is cleaner, more organized, better policed, has an international airport and decent hospitals. The first two would be good for me until I was about 60 or medical problems start to come around.  Cebu and Manila are too crowded for me.

My woman is from Mindanao and speaks all of the major and some minor dialects (Tagalog, Bisayan, Chavacano, Tausug) and English. She has always been able to find a way to fit in and adjust wherever we have stayed.

Heed the advice about living away from the family by a couple islands away. The further away the less interference or hassles you will get from them. Your woman will not get caught in the middle as much and learn to appreciate the separation. She will still get homesick and a quick trip every 6 months or so will remind her why she has left and how much better she has it with you.

just my .02

• Like 3

bc_hombre
Posted
Posted

If Subic was not an option, my next choice would be Dumaguete (a 5 hr ferry ride from Dipolog), Dipolog (north western tip of Mindanao, followed by Davao. Davao makes my list as the urban city is cleaner, more organized, better policed, has an international airport and decent hospitals. The first two would be good for me until I was about 60 or medical problems start to come around.  Cebu and Manila are too crowded for me.

My woman is from Mindanao and speaks all of the major and some minor dialects (Tagalog, Bisayan, Chavacano, Tausug) and English. She has always been able to find a way to fit in and adjust wherever we have stayed.

Heed the advice about living away from the family by a couple islands away. The further away the less interference or hassles you will get from them. Your woman will not get caught in the middle as much and learn to appreciate the separation. She will still get homesick and a quick trip every 6 months or so will remind her why she has left and how much better she has it with you.

just my .02

thanks thomas. yeah, i am not really sold as much on cebu, but i have a filipina from that just moved back from nica who is encouraging me to check it out. i have read a bit about dumaguete and it appealed enough to me to ask about it(on another board) and the response from 2 residents was not positive. maybe they were trying to throw me a curve eh? i heard that they are getting a new hospital,built though. my plans are to settle in first and decide on a small business for my gal to work at, so we will need somewhere that has a large enough drawing card of clientle. maybe a hair salon or something in the service industry just to pay the bills. hopefully i will have enough time to check the place out.