My Actual Spending For July 2013

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Yes.  Kind of yes to both ha ha.  It was my choice, and I probably could not afford much more anyway.  But as the rainy season progresses I am getting tired of a bamboo house.  Everything is growing mold. 

Bamboo is very porous. It absorbs lots of moisture, which is the reason for the mold. Most bamboo poles sit on top of concrete. One reason is allow moisture to drain. The same with bamboo walls. They should be one or two inches off the ground. During the next dry period, try applying a varnish on the exterior. The varnish acts as a sealant. 

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Wanker?  You called me a wanker?  Oh, whacker... never mind.

And JJ I would do more but we only have like 5 months left in the house.  My girlfriend wants to move when our lease is out. I am comfortable enough here for the most part.

(The exterior of the house is painted, the interior is varnished.)

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

.....is $3000p for monthly rental what you can afford or simply the lifestyle you enjoy?

Yes.  Kind of yes to both ha ha.  It was my choice, and I probably could not afford much more anyway.  But as the rainy season progresses I am getting tired of a bamboo house.  Everything is growing mold.  (OK Jake NOT everything!  I do shower, you know)

We use three 5 gallon jugs of water and they last between 2 and 3 weeks.  I was talking to a guy the other day that uses 12 a week!  That is a LOT of water to buy.

I think I would have to find better accommodation NOW and never mind having to pay  3 or 4 months rent and not use the house. What happens if you get some of that mold in your respiratory tract?

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

.....is $3000p for monthly rental what you can afford or simply the lifestyle you enjoy?

Yes.  Kind of yes to both ha ha.  It was my choice, and I probably could not afford much more anyway.  But as the rainy season progresses I am getting tired of a bamboo house.  Everything is growing mold.  (OK Jake NOT everything!  I do shower, you know)

We use three 5 gallon jugs of water and they last between 2 and 3 weeks.  I was talking to a guy the other day that uses 12 a week!  That is a LOT of water to buy.

I think I would have to find better accommodation NOW and never mind having to pay  3 or 4 months rent and not use the house. What happens if you get some of that mold in your respiratory tract?

Well then I would get to use my PhilHealth ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I am curious what kind of accomodations you can get for 3000p rent per month?

I would be curious too what you could get in the province, say as far out as you could get water and electric. I suspect 3k peso would get you a moderately sized cardboard box in the center of Cebu City.

Looks good Tuka Ram. :)

Because of an other topic, where someone talked about much higher total month cost by having a much higher rent per month, I checked some rent ads. (For minimum 1 year with few exceptions.)

I don't know if some of the neighbourhoods to the places for rent are to bad, but if include close parts of Metro Cebu, then nice looking OWN HOUSES can be rented for as litle as 5000-12000p/month, even found two nice looking BEACH houses!  Some of them even furnished and/or with garage space or lockable carport! Some of them with more than one bedroom, but most of them are squeezed in very few squaremeters, so it can be problem to have space enough to stretch our legs for us normal lengthed foreigners  :lol:

But one of the appartments - a bit odd looking, probably ment for something else than a home originaly, but still OK quality, perhaps a part of a church (?) - they only asked 9000p/month for 2 bedrooms, partly furnished 160 sqm!!

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I've only got 45 sqm here.  The main thing this house had was location.  For me it was not near her family in Antique and for her it was down the road from her uncle and cousins!

It is really hard to figure out if she wants to move because she wants to or if she thinks I want to... She keeps saying we should move closer to the city because I won't be as bored and might find some foreign friends.  I keep telling her that neither of those are a problem ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've only got 45 sqm here.  The main thing this house had was location.  For me it was not near her family in Antique and for her it was down the road from her uncle and cousins!

It is really hard to figure out if she wants to move because she wants to or if she thinks I want to... She keeps saying we should move closer to the city because I won't be as bored and might find some foreign friends.  I keep telling her that neither of those are a problem ha ha  :tiphat:

Sounds like code for you are underfoot :). I've heard it before when a woman had to sweep under my feet.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Curley
Posted
Posted

OK, finally have gotten around to doing this, however have had some problems uploading the video, so it may or may not be attached to this post.

If it does not, I have asked help, but I fear it may simply be an internet connection problem, as I am currently using a Wifi connection.

July 2013 Spending

7000 Rent

4609 Wet Market

5899 Groceries

2420 Jeepney, trike and petrol for my Blue Bomber

1899 Internet and Cable TV (Comclark)

2100 Electric (only 1 A/C unit in the bedroom and is only ½ horse)

180   Water (blue bottle)

299   Water Bill (minimum charge of 299)

390 Phone Load (both Ellie and I, and some for Jenny)

2362 Jollibees/Mang Inasal/Andoks etc 

850 Gas

10000 Chiya’s education fund, and out emergency fund! (this amount varies based on the cash we have left over after paying all the expenses.

1250 Cigs, (Fortune are cheap)

39258  Sub total

Income:

I have a few customers in the UK, who purchase in bulk, items that I source for them. They do about 2 to 3 orders per year, and I get about 180,000 pesos profit from each purchase. (We use this for our large purchases, like for the Blue Bomber, A/C units, fridge/freezers etc.)

My main income currently is from teaching ESL at a local College, They are paying me 400 pesos an hour for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. So if I get all my classes this works out to 56,000 pesos a month, however generally there are days when I might only have 3 or 3 classes, and the average income from this is closer to 40,000 pesos per month.

For those of you not aware of my situation, I am 58 years of age, have lived in the Philippines for almost 7 years. I do not have any private pensions, (that I am aware of), and not yet old enough to get any gov. pensions. I like many, spent all my savings doing foolish things, and therefore no longer have an savings to fall back on. I am married to a Filipina, we have a 2 year and 9 month old daughter, and I have a 13A visa, along with a Working Visa, and a Special Working Visa, for working in Clark Freeport Zone. I must work to live, if I choose to stay in the Philippines, and I do!

OK, hope this works.

Papa Carl

Very generous of you laying it all open for all to see.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
My main income currently is from teaching ESL at a local College, They are paying me 400 pesos an hour for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. So if I get all my classes this works out to 56,000 pesos a month, however generally there are days when I might only have 3 or 3 classes, and the average income from this is closer to 40,000 pesos per month.

Just confirming that the P400 payment an hour is to teach English to several or more foreign students in a classroom setting. In Manila, the rate I heard was P250 to P300 an hour for a Filipino teacher of English and P300 to P350 if the teacher is American, Canadian, English or Irish. Most of the teaching is one-on-one and Internet. The students are predominantly Koreans in Manila.

My wife and I may volunteer to teach conversational English in China a few years from now. We will receive free room & board staying at a dormitory facilities. We can roam the city and outlying areas during the day, returning to the school by 5:00pm. Our role is companionship for the children and to converse with them in English until lights out. Our daytime travels include a guide/translator. It's a graduate student wanting to practice their English. The commitment is a minimum one month.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1