Chili And Beans

Jake
Posted
Posted

OK guys, is this a prelude of a boy's night out?  I am now convinced there is a secret contest among the chili lovers here.

Sounds like a little get together -- Blazing Saddles style around the campfire?  

I'll bring my canned chili (made in China) and a dozen of baluts to get that fire going between my cheeks....he, he.

Fartin' up wind -- Jake

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

You know where to get canned chili?  I am jealous!  I am lazy... I would much rather buy some!

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

A good pot of beans with a lot of chunks of ham in it is not to be sneered at either. I wonder if dry pintos could be had in bulk there. 50# bag divided into some airtight containers would last / keep forever. Canned chili here in the US used to come out of the can as a paste consistency, now it just pours from the can like a soup. The quality has gone way down.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

(Kidney beens were one of my favorite foods, but since I tested Black eye beens, I have switched to them.

It's common Pinoys like mungo beens (=small green) But I have no idea if they are good with chili.)

jon1
Posted
Posted

I have found good old hormel chili at S&R, Royal, Puregold, SM and Shopwise. I just throw in a bottle of Pace Picante with 2 cans of that and I am good!  I am not a chef when it comes to Chili. If I am feeling creative, I will toss chopped onions and shredded cheddar on top. Is also great for dipping with tortilla chips and drinking ice cold san mig... :)

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I used to cook for Chili's. We used red kidney beans for chili. And you can find them in most larger grocery stores. I just found a nice quality bell pepper and was planning a pot of chili... sure wish I had some chili powder... at least I have paprika.

~edit~ anyone know a good masa harina substitute?

Find yourself some finely ground corn meal. If it's not find enough for you, run it through a blender or coffee grinder. Don't have either? Got a Morter and pestle? Flat board and a hammer? Argh! Go get 2 flat rocks!!! Hehe! Just kidding around here. Seriously, what is Masa? Corn meal that is ground fine enough to be called flour.

As for what beans to use? Any bean! A large red bean is good if you are making red chili. If you want green chili, you might be happier with a smaller bean. Once again a Pinto is good... A white bean... Yellow beans are good here too. Just make sure that you check to make sure you cook your been properly so nobody dies... Seriously! For example, say you want to make some red chilli in your slow cooker and all you have are Romano beans. Don't forget to boil for at least 2 hours first. Not doing this can actually kill you.

Last one... Chilli powder. Make your own. Smoke some fresh chili peppers and then dry them thoroughly. Grind them like you would your masa. Voila! Or if you want a fast hot version? Add cayenne powder along with a little smoke flavoring. When I make this one, I toss in a bit of tumeric.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I wonder if black eyed peas grow there? Black eyed peas while they are not my favorite as shelled are pretty good when you snap the young pods as you would green beans. Not chili but not bad. I've had a harder time getting rid of black eyed pea vines than making them grow. Hope I wasn't too far off topic here.

dalidali
Posted
Posted
Find yourself some finely ground corn meal. If it's not find enough for you, run it through a blender or coffee grinder. Don't have either? Got a Morter and pestle? Flat board and a hammer? Argh! Go get 2 flat rocks!!! Hehe! Just kidding around here. Seriously, what is Masa? Corn meal that is ground fine enough to be called flour.

My "other" home is in a small town deep down into the Baja California peninsula, Mexico....700 miles below the border with San Diego, California.

Corn flour is a staple for making masa and corn tortillas. I havn't done it myself, but my housekeeper there makes hand made tortillas and tamales for me.

Also a staple is wheat flour or "harina de trigo".....used to make flour tortillas. Both of these are sold in kilo bags at any "tienda"

The BEST tortillas are made with pure "manteca" or hog lard and not vegetable shortening. They melt in your mouth!!

And of course pinto beans are another staple. Rice is secondary.

Warm LARD flour tortillas and frijole beans are the BEST.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The lard tortilla's are better for you than the ones made using vegetable oil.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am from Texas - which almost Baja California ha ha   So I know what you mean about tortillas, beans & rice.  I had to explain to my girlfriend what a tortilla is, you can forget about tacos or tamales!  We need a Tequila Reef franchise here in Iloilo!

I told her I was going to buy some stuff to make chili and she has no idea what I am talking about...