Are You Sure Ms Immigration Lady?

dalidali
Posted
Posted (edited)

I arrived July 10th 2013.

First renewal after the 21 day "free" visa was done and paid on July 30th. 3030p.

Good through Sept 7th.

Today, Sept 3rd, I went to the BI satellite office in Lapu_Lapu to re-up for 30days.

Silly me....thinking all I needed was on the short side of 2500p for another month.

I fell on the floor when the cashier said "that will be 7500p please"

Ok....so I go back to the "receiving" window girl and explained to her again..I only needed 30 days.

She said I was being charged for an ACI card....north of 2000p.

Oh but madam....I don't need this ACI card as I am leaving the country on Sept 25th.

Please take that part out of my fees.

She said politely that an ACI card gets me a PH bank account if needed, and a PH drivers license when needed.

Umm excuse me, but I do not want nor need a PH bank account nor do I want or need a PH drivers license. I am "only" a tourist and just would like an extension to get me to Sept 25th.

"Sorry sir but that ACI card charge is built into the system of charges and cannot be deleted or removed"

Well......the novia only packed some grocery shopping money and 2500p extra to pay the expected 30 day extension.....well short of 7500p.

I had to walk out without paying.......came up short of funds.

With all the fees and the ACI card.....7500p just about floored me.... for staying until Sept 25th...a short 20+ days from today.

I blew it..... :bash:

Edited by dalidali
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the heads up.  In the past the 2000 + for the ACR card was charged at the 58 day extension.  From your post I think you are saying they charged you for it after 21 days?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

OUCH!!! :th_unfair:

• Like 1

dalidali
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the heads up.  In the past the 2000 + for the ACR card was charged at the 58 day extension.  From your post I think you are saying they charged you for it after 21 days?

No....this charge was upon my second renewal.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

appears that someone needs extra Xmas gift now,

we know that we cant win an dispute w/these gods workers.

Have you looked at the BI site not boi

to know exactly what the "rules"are.. (make a copy of them)

also consider going to another BI office .if its convenient

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Mine was on the 2nd extension as well.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

That is normal for an extension to go beyond the first 59 days.

• Like 1

dalidali
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the heads up.

Dave......a couple of months ago you said this:

"Its my experience that the tourist ACR card is absolutely f'ing useless for absolutely everything except making money for the BI"

I couldn't agree more. I my particular case, a PH bank account or a PH drivers license is worthless as a "tourist"

Yep your absolutely right Mr Earth......the BI agent girl said the very same thing.

"No sir, those charges are built into the system and cannot be deleted, waived or otherwise taken off for you"

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the heads up.

Dave......a couple of months ago you said this:

"Its my experience that the tourist ACR card is absolutely f'ing useless for absolutely everything except making money for the BI"

I couldn't agree more. I my particular case, a PH bank account or a PH drivers license is worthless as a "tourist"

Yep your absolutely right Mr Earth......the BI agent girl said the very same thing.

"No sir, those charges are built into the system and cannot be deleted, waived or otherwise taken off for you"

Just part of the costs of staying in the Philippines longer than 59 days. Frustrating that you have to go back through the process again, I feel your pain man.

You don't have to have the ACR-I card to get a bank account. I got both a USD and peso account with BPI 4 days after I arrived. Your mileage may vary. I also got a postpaid phone plan without an ACR-I card.

I was asked by BI for my ACR-I card when I got my last extension at 6 months. I have used my ACR-I card on occasion as an ID when using my credit card. Not totally worthless.

• Like 2

dalidali
Posted
Posted
Just part of the costs of staying in the Philippines longer than 59 days. Frustrating that you have to go back through the process again, I feel your pain man.
L

The Lapu_Lapu office extension is a snap. Walked in the door and straight up to the window.

No waiting....no queing....no take a number.

I understand the processes as "it is what it is" and I can live with it even if I don't agree.

I am just still smarting from having to pony up $175 USD equivelent to stay another 22 days.

• Like 1