Are You Sure Ms Immigration Lady?

Markham
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the heads up.

Dave......a couple of months ago you said this:

"Its my experience that the tourist ACR card is absolutely f'ing useless for absolutely everything except making money for the BI"

I couldn't agree more. I my particular case, a PH bank account or a PH drivers license is worthless as a "tourist"

As a foreigner, you are required by law to carry Government approved identification with you at all times which can be either your Passport or an ACR-I Card. BI issues Visitors with a temporary ACR-I Card as a matter of convenience to you as it removes the necessity of you carrying your Passport with you at all times with the consequent risk that you may lose it. A photocopy of your Passport's Personal Details page may be an acceptable form of proof of identity when paying for goods using a credit/debit card but it won't likely be accepted by officials such as the Police or an Immigration Officer who can legally demand you produce the actual document.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Are you coming back anytime soon?  The card is good for 1 year.  It is not a multiple entry visa - which is why it states "This card will not serve as an entry visa".  but if you come back during the year you do not have to get another one during your extensions.

• Like 1

dalidali
Posted
Posted (edited)

Immigration Officer who can legally demand you produce the actual document.

Demand it on the spot or can I return to my residence and produce the actual document?

Seems to me the circumstances for not allowing a tourist to return to his residence would be very extreme.

Although "anything" can happen, it would seem to be a very extreme measure for this to happen in real time.

More fun the in the Philippines would just be another silly slogan if the BI or police would jail casual tourists for the simple violation of not having his/her passport on his/her person.....on demand and on the spot with no extenuating circumstances.

Are you coming back anytime soon?

Probably.

I am just a little hot now for having to pony up 7500p to stay here for 3 more weeks.

I will get the card and the extension tomorrow.

Thanks for your imput.

Edited by dalidali

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

Small consolation, but at least you didn't get stick with the mandatory "express lane fee".

I sympathize with your frustration over the unexpected and pricey cost for a short extension.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
BI issues Visitors with a temporary ACR-I Card

Often not.  BI 'charges' visitors for a temporary ACR card but more often than not there is no stock and they do not really care so long as you have the notation in your passport that it is paid for.  Such is the opinion of the fat guy at BI Mandaue, as he relayed it to me.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Not sure what the problem is, the BI lady is 100 percent correct.The fees are up to date on the BI site for all to see.

Why they have the i-card in Dollars I don't know but if you add it up with the current exchange rate it all comes to about P7500 but it says for one month extension is P500 cheaper.

Also you need the card for, The ACR I-Card likewise serves as the Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC), Re-entry Permit (RP) and Special Return Certificate (SRC) of the holder upon payment of the required fees.

To check if your card is ready,Updated as for August 14, 2013 . http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1273&Itemid=139

post-1-0-59488800-1378206459_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Are you coming back anytime soon?  The card is good for 1 year.  It is not a multiple entry visa - which is why it states "This card will not serve as an entry visa".  but if you come back during the year you do not have to get another one during your extensions.

Reading JGF's attached picture, down at the bottom it says you have a 250 php fee for reissuance of ACR for ( second entry of every entry after 59 days). 1/10 is better than paying full fee but still disappointing. The real hilarious thing is that you might not even get the card? It seems silly if they charge you for reissuance of a card they never issued to you. More fun in the Philippines!

dalidali
Posted
Posted
Not sure what the problem is, the BI lady is 100 percent correct.

The "problem" was I was caught unaware of the mandatory rule that an ACR card is required on the second extension.

I must have read the "rules" a dozen times, but for whatever reason, I overlooked the ACR card requirement.

This oversight on my end is my fault completely and I readily admit it.

I hold the BI completely blameless and never intended it to be interpreted that way. After all, the law is the law and that girl was doing her job as expected.

I am "somewhat hot" at myself for not seeing this and make the necessary preparations to pay up.

I was caught off guard and being a tad skeptical about "tea money", my negative side rose up before my noggin had time to catch up and realize I was 100% wrong.

If I was in charge of writing policy for the PH BI, I would insert a stipulation that if a tourist will only be extending 30 days beyond the first extension, then no ACR card required. Reason being, that ACR card would more than likely not be avaiable for the tourist to pick up, prior to his/her exit from the PH. (based on what the girl told me about waiting times)

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

No problem! I often let my emotions take control before I think things through myself so I can completely relate.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

thanks for such a "eye"opener topic Dalidali,

guess  for us who are new or soon to visit have learned an important $$$ lesson on the BI and

for us to KNOW THE RULES more indepth,

just curious would it been cheaper to have taken a flight out and return the next day? 

• Like 1