How Do You Make Your Income?

Deiv
Posted
Posted

:gday:

Mainly directed at the expats who have no other money coming in other then what they have saved over the years before heading to the Philippines and what they earn doing whatever work they are doing.

I'm sure i'm not the only one lurking around expat forums with a typical 9-5 job that doesn't want to wait till they are 50+ to head over and looking for a way to make it happen.

Thankfully i'm young (27) and responsible for no one other then myself, i want wife/kids etc but refuse to have either in Australia, so i have plenty of years to make this happen and plenty of years to gain knowledge from people like the members on this forum that have gone before me.

I currently work in IT so i'm definitely learning towards making a living online, just wondering what avenue to go down, i don't want to be rich, just comfortable.

I've seen a couple of members on this forum that are in their late 30's living full time in the Philippines with families but no info on how they've done it.

Maybe i'll win lotto tonight and see you all next week :P

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I've seen a couple of members on this forum that are in their late 30's living full time in the Philippines with families but no info on how they've done it.
Well. Some have told, but the information is spread in different topics. Not sure if they can live of them, but they get some income from it. If I include the foreigners too, who are not in this forum, but I have in mind:

/real estate (=sponsor to this forum)

/mango farm plus some "harvest sharing"

/only "harvest sharing"

/teacher

/resort

/resort plus dwarf palms

/some have bars

/forest including selling seedlings

/internet business (some websites including selling books)

/bakery  (employing family-in-law so no costs for family support  :)

/call center.

/one more call center.

/expat service (sponsor to this forum)

/swedish snuff, which some Swedes can't live without  :)

/and some have big factories

Plus one loan shark and three in sex business, but one of them is murdered and the others in jail/deported, so I don't recomend such  :)

I haven't moved yet myself, but concerning income I'm ready to move as soon as I can for my injury. Then I will bring one part time work (a writing type of work), which I can do offline and send through Internet mostly, perhaps need a visit to Sweden sometimes, and by which I will earn enough to "survive" after foreign messure (30-50 000p/month). But I aim at earning some more by - probably a bit "harvest sharing" - and starting some business with a few employed, or more likely I will just let my Swedish company buy the equipment and rent it to a RP company against a share of the result/lease fee, and I don't work anything myself with it, just check so they use it visely so the result will be good  :) 

Plus I will probably do some Help-to-self-help work to assist the locals where I settle down, but probably no pay, surely not much pay, because I don't want to work for any high salary "aid" organisation...  :bash:  

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I know of some IT businesses based in the Philippines that do web design and programming outsourced from the US. Some of them are owned by or employ expats. There are also many call centers who employ some expats.

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Interesting timing.

Tomorrow, (whoops, I mean later today) Friday I fly to Legazpi City where I am the guest speaker at Conference primarily dealing with the BPO industry in the Philippines, and how it affects the local economy. 

In attendance will be all local Government Officials including the Mayors and Vice Mayors, Presidents and Vice Presidents or Deans of all the Universities and Colleges in Bicol.

If you are employed in the IT industry already you may want to consider the following:

Philippines is number 1 in the world for Voice Processes in the Contact Centre industry world wide, taking over the top spot from India in 2010, That industry is worth over 150 Billion Dollars a year.

Philippines is number 2 in the world for Non Voice Processes, specifically IT-BPO related industries, and quickly closing the gap to India.

There are over 1,000 IT-BPO companies currently in the Philippines.

The IT-BPO industry in one of the fastest growing industries in the country

The Philippines added 137,066 new jobs in the IT-BPO industry in 2012

Employment in this industry grew by over 20% in 2012, with a total of 776,794 jobs, and revenues of 13.2 Billion USD

The second fastest growing segment of the industry was IT related, where the vast majority of the companies are Foreign owned, and require expats with experience to work.

Australian companies are one of the fastest growing within the industry.

In 2012 the country's BPM industry paid out over 237 Billion Pesos in salaries to its workforce, that represents about 45% of the sector's revenue, which hit over 13 Billion USD in 2012.

That is also equal to around 13% of the national governments P1.816 trillion spending program for 2012, larger than the budgets of the top five department in the government.

If that does not interest you, you can always get a job in one of a few dozen Contact Centre's who have Australian campaigns as they are always looking for people with Australian accents to help their agents.

Or, you can try teach English Language in one of the private or international schools in the Philippines

As was previously said, you could always just open your own "Girlie Bar" as have several other Australians here in Angeles, however I would not recommend it.

Hope this helps

Papa Carl

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Philippines is number 2 in the world for Non Voice Processes, specifically IT-BPO related industries
I haven't checked if it has incresed or decresed since then, but when I started researching what business to start in RP and RP economy in general, then it was very common one-man mainly American home businesses looked for Filipins to do a big part of the jobs for them on distance instead of doing them themselfes  :) because of the salary costs are so low. I suppouse a big part of these jobs don't show in statistics.

First I planed to start such business myself, but being in RP and employ 7 or so Filipins with different specialities, and just start some small refining business to assist the locals, living of the first and finding it OK if I don't LOSE any money on the second,

BUT during my checkings I changed my mind to probably ONLY have the second, because Internet is so slow where I want to live and several refining businesses have good earning potential, so why bother to do double work starting two instead of one  :)

But sure IT businesses have a good potential too, for them who want to live where Internet speed is good enough.

(Btw- today I found an additional business idea to add to my 187 ideas list. If someone is short of business ideas, you perhaps want to buy one of mine? :)    Production cost per unit is only around 1/4 of RP import much for, and RP has a lot of such raw material. But not sure I can find enough where I want to live (=rural where there are few people around) so I can keep down transport costs, and not sure if I can afford to build/buy a suitable production line. And it's dangerous - not the murder risk as in loan shark business, but for accidents in the production  :)  which can be a reason I will skip it. (Build a simple production line with high risk for accidents by human misstakes cost litle, but to make the more dangerous parts automatic would cost much and it would still be some important risks left by equipment can break... :unsure:

Deiv
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the help so far guys, this forum has so much good information it's overwhelming, hopefully it'll be around for many more years to come.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
If someone is short of business ideas, you perhaps want to buy one of mine?

Is this one of the 187?

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

If someone is short of business ideas, you perhaps want to buy one of mine? ;)

Is this one of the 187?

The 188th  :)   

(Actualy I have stoped counting, but I counted some months ago and then it was 182, and I have added some since then.)

When I go on researching RP business in general and how to do them in top of the list, it happen I find additional ideas now and then by "accident" or my creativity get inspiration by something. E g when I see they have much of something - specialy when it's waste now  :)  - I start thinking if it can be used for something. Sometimes I get assistance by articles because Pinoys are good at thinking similar to that, with the difference most of them think if it can become an extra work for them giving some pesos,

while a few of them and I think if it's scaleable to be enough to make a business with employed.

And it's big regional differences, in some regions they have no problem selling a product and can even be short of them,

while same product isn't even worth harvesting by employed in an other region. Then it can be good to start a refining business in the later   :)

So chosing business idea depend of where to live too - or opposite  :)      Some of my main business ideas functions best in West of RP, while other functions best in East concerning weather zones, soil types, production traditions...  while I believe I like it best to live in the middle  :hystery:    

Future family-in-law is a factor too. I will live within driving distance from them a half year or so in the beginning to test them, before I decide how far from them I will want to settle. (Parallell to that I will do researches in place (regionaly) to compleete my researches.)

So there are many factors to think of before chosing. Or if I start one of the business ideas, which cost litle to start, but few locals can copy because of missing knowledge, such I perhaps just start "direct" and sell it if it don't suit to keep, because of the small costs I can't lose much anyway  :)    But I mainly aim at something, which cost some more to start, because of the factor it eliminate most of the Pinoys, who would copy otherwice...

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I have a few business ideas that I think would work. I will share one with you that I'm thinking about starting for my brother-in-law since he's young healthy and strong, its water well drilling by hand. When you get away from the cities and towns there are many homes that do not have water. They must carry water long distances. What made me think of this business is the lot I bought doesn't have city water but the water is not very deep in the ground. I looked on the Internet and discovered that you can drill your own well by hand and there are kits sold for this purpose. I could buy a well drilling kit from another country and then everything else needed is available in the Philippines. I could offer hand pumps or electric pumps for the wells. I may order one of the kits for my lot and then I would know if its a good business. The cost for start up would be low and the business would make money drilling the hole and on selling the pipes, pumps and faucets. A pickup truck is all he would need to haul everything in and to stand on when drilling the hole.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I have a few business ideas that I think would work. I will share one with you that I'm thinking about starting for my brother-in-law since he's young healthy and strong, its water well drilling by hand. When you get away from the cities and towns there are many homes that do not have water. They must carry water long distances. What made me think of this business is the lot I bought doesn't have city water but the water is not very deep in the ground. I looked on the Internet and discovered that you can drill your own well by hand and there are kits sold for this purpose. I could buy a well drilling kit from another country and then everything else needed is available in the Philippines. I could offer hand pumps or electric pumps for the wells. I may order one of the kits for my lot and then I would know if its a good business. The cost for start up would be low and the business would make money drilling the hole and on selling the pipes, pumps and faucets. A pickup truck is all he would need to haul everything in and to stand on when drilling the hole.

Yes.

Except perhaps during drought period, which some regions have, the ground water is close under the ground.

But look up with close to the coast and mangrove swamps it's a big risk the water isn't useable by salt water coming into the wells.

NOTE! Many HAVE wells, but they can only be used for plants, washing and such BECAUSE THEY ARE WRONG BUILT.

(I descriped detailed in some other topic the common error in construction. Mainly it's they don't make it TIGHT in the upper part, forsing the water TO FILTER before it get into the well.

So adjusting wells so they make potable water can perhaps be a good business too. In many cases it's rather easy to do, just need some cement.

But not sure if drinking water business owners will be happy, if you start making good wells, so people don't need them  :)

I have one such well in my estate (but done corect from start) and I have used it for drinking water all the time without trouble.

How much cost the kit?

Perhaps worth buying one just to solve how to get a good well, when I build a house in RP.