How Do You Make Your Income?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

The BPO thing is definitely realistic.  I have a mate that's a shift manager at a debt collection agency here in Australia and they're expanding their call centre operations to PI and he's being sent over to set it up then manage the sub-contractors.  Maybe research which Australian companies have operations in PI, apply here, work for them for a while, apply for Aussie positions for the company in PI and be paid the same as you would here?  I know Joel is going over to PI on what is considered a very generous package even here in Australia - similar to most being sent overseas packages I guess; free housing, food and utilities allowance, maid, driver etc.  The problem is adjusting after living that lifestyle if you ever come back!

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Maybe research which Australian companies have operations in PI, apply here, work for them for a while, apply for Aussie positions for the company in PI and be paid the same as you would here? I know Joel is going over to PI on what is considered a very generous package even here in Australia - similar to most being sent overseas packages I guess; free housing, food and utilities allowance, maid, driver etc.
Yes, but that goes for them PICKED abroad to be highest bosses in Ph. But "assistant bosses" get good pay for being in Ph. Such are much less hard to get.

Companies from many countries start such, e g one Swedish too in Laoag.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

To give you an idea, as an expat working in the Philippines in the BPO industry, depending on your experience.

Over the years I have applied for and been short listed for jobs paying as low as 60K Pesos a month, up to 450K pesos per month, plus house, (in gated community), car (ford expedition), plus driver, house keeper, dental, health, etc etc.

So they are here, and as the BPO industry grows, so do the jobs. It is true that more and more the BPO industry is looking for Filipinos to take on the roles of middle management, but it is also true that few top management jobs are going to Filipinos, and one of the most often complaints by foreign owned BPO companies is that the talent of Filipinos to fill these jobs is not here yet.

Because to the quick growth of the industry, too many filipinos were moved up the ladder too fast and could not do the job. They will be able to eventually, but with time, as is the case in all countries.

Papa Carl

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

So they are here, and as the BPO industry grows, so do the jobs. It is true that more and more the BPO industry is looking for Filipinos to take on the roles of middle management, but it is also true that few top management jobs are going to Filipinos, and one of the most often complaints by foreign owned BPO companies is that the talent of Filipinos to fill these jobs is not here yet.

Papa Carl

My observation as a Filipino holding upper management position in the US military revealed some truths about what you

said Papa Carl.  However, one must realize those positions require some people to people skills.  I don't believe it's a

matter of weak English communications skills to lecture, shout or counsel your troops.

Eventually, most Filipino US Navy chiefs excel in their position because they acquire the confidence and the brass balls to

do the job.  It's a steep learning curve, a tight time constraint for a young leader to get his chit together on board a warship.  

I think out in the civilian world, anybody can remain stagnant at their current position if they are just satisfied with mediocrity.  

Just sayin'........

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Papa Carl

My observation as a Filipino holding upper management position in the US military revealed some truths about what you

said Papa Carl.  However, one must realize those positions require some people to people skills.  I don't believe it's a

matter of weak English communications skills to lecture, shout or counsel your troops.

Eventually, most Filipino US Navy chiefs excel in their position because they acquire the confidence and the brass balls to

do the job.  It's a steep learning curve, a tight time constraint for a young leader to get his chit together on board a warship.  

I think out in the civilian world, anybody can remain stagnant at their current position if they are just satisfied with mediocrity.  

Just sayin'........

Confidence breeds confidence, both from another's perspective and within yourself.  Given responsibility, I've found most people will work to that and often shine.  Some enjoy the challenge, being out of their comfort zone. Like Jake, I found this particularly true in the military.  Sometimes people just need that little push and will surprise themselves, others jump at the chance.  Attitudes cross all borders, it's ultimately down to the individual. 

I should've mentioned that Joel's position is only there as long as it takes him to groom a local replacement.  Pity, I was going to hit him up for a job ;)

And for Tomas, he may as well try locally here before he moves, what's he have to lose?

Thomas
Posted
Posted
one of the most often complaints by foreign owned BPO companies is that the talent of Filipinos to fill these jobs is not here yet.
Filipins can have skill for handling people, I suppouse they have biger chance to handle Filipins better than we foreigners can in average (at least before studying them several years)

BUT very FEW have the needed BUSINESS thinking and mathematic skill. (I have checked many and even some with high business exams don't have it...) The needed business thinking is so very different from how almost all Filipins think, so it's EXTRA HARD for them because of their culture to think the needed DIFFERENCE. But sure some manage to do it, I know some even low educated, who learn to think fast with some guidance how to think different.

My observation as a Filipino holding upper management position in the US military revealed some truths about what you said Papa Carl.
I don't know about US military, but Swedish military - and officials   - get the WORST of them, who want to be bosses, because (almost) no private companies want them... :mocking:
And for Tomas, he may as well try locally here before he moves, what's he have to lose?
  I can lose my convinience   :)   and can't settle with no neighbours as I want to. And I don't want to have to drive to an employment in an office. I'm spoiled with working from home, not need to waste time driving to work, almost all years since 1978 (both as employed and own company) and I like when I can sit and work at my veranda in nice weather with nice view, and play rock music loud when I want to    :540:   

So I aim at something similar after I have moved.

(I will bring a part time job, which I can handle mainly offline and send by Internet, earning 40 - 50 000 pesos per month - if they don't change so I will have to fly to meetings in Sweden when I don't want to go there anyway.)

• Like 2