Less Crime In Manila

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well that depends on what one believes :no: why would they do this? perhaps they get a bonus for less crime?

Crime in Metro Manila going down? Police stations found to have doctored their reports

MANILA, Philippines - Is the crime rate in Metro Manila really going down? The intelligence division of the Philippines National Police does not think so.

This, after their investigation showed that some officials of police precincts in Metro Manila  submitted "doctored" reports on the number of crime incidents in their jurisdictions.

These reports were found to have declared numbers different from that of crime incidents recorded in police blotters from January to June this year.

The Cubao police station in Quezon City topped the list of police stations which submitted wrong information. It declared that there were only 429 crime incidents but in reality there were 1,143.

Next was the Mandaluyong police which declared only 831 crime incidents, but 2,398 crimes actually happened.

Third on the list was the Pasay police which reported only 1,666 crimes, which was less than half of the total 3,794 crime incidents that happened in Pasay.

Also included in the list were a police station in Sampaloc, Manila, as well as police stations in San Juan, Malate, and Paranaque, among others.

National Capital Region Police Office director Chief Superintendent Marcelo Garbo said the errant police officials will be charged with administrative cases and possibly face dismissal.

“This sends a strong signal to chiefs of police to be more responsible in supervising their men,” Garbo said. “The buck stops at the chief of police.”

Supt. Joselito Daniel, chief of the San Juan police, explained that he only inherited the crime statistics.

Daniel said there were also technical errors in the counting of crime incidents, like crimes against women and children which were not included in the report.

He said he assumed office only on July 27, and when he was called for a conference at the NCRPO in Bicutan, he said he pointed the errors and these were corrected.

The other police chiefs declined to be interviewed but said they will abide by the decision of their superiors.

The NCRPO recommended that police officials be made to undergo a refresher course.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Well that depends on what one believes :no: why would they do this? perhaps they get a bonus for less crime?

Crime in Metro Manila going down? Police stations found to have doctored their reports

The other police chiefs declined to be interviewed but said they will abide by the decision of their superiors.

The NCRPO recommended that police officials be made to undergo a refresher course.

The quoted comments above was taken from the news article.  I'm curious about what the refresher course

entails.  Will the police chiefs make a donation to NCRPO (National Capital Region Police Office) or do they

muster at their favorite beer house for an all day work seminar

It's the same old chit......

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The real criminals in Philippines are the police.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Where my wife comes from in Mindanao the people call police crocodiles.  They got that name from being corrupt and from preying on innocent young girls.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

So they cheat on crime statistics. What will they think of next?

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

The real criminals in Philippines are the police.

:AddEmoticons04230: :AddEmoticons04230: :th_thanx:  ....... and sadly it is in all branches of law enforcement ..... and when they do get an honest one in there from out of cop school it doesn't take the old hands long to corrupt them ..... we have a really nice young man in the neighborhood about to graduate this summer who is honest and hard working .... shame it will only take a few months for them to ruin him ...... I almost wish he would do something else .... :unsure:  :th_unfair:

:cheersty:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
gaga4
Posted
Posted

I believe there are enough expats in the Philippines who bring monetary benefits to the economy and can petition the Phiippine government to make the country more secure not only for the expats but for the Filipinos. You ppl should organize and make this happen.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I believe there are enough expats in the Philippines who bring monetary benefits to the economy and can petition the Phiippine government to make the country more secure not only for the expats but for the Filipinos. You ppl should organize and make this happen.

I don't see the govt accommodating the needs of expats. They have far bigger fish to fry with their own citizens. The effect that the perception of danger, due to crime, has on tourism is a far bigger factor. They want foreigners to visit, spend money, and leave.  

• Like 2

gaga4
Posted
Posted

I don't see the govt accommodating the needs of expats. They have far bigger fish to fry with their own citizens. The effect that the perception of danger, due to crime, has on tourism is a far bigger factor. They want foreigners to visit, spend money, and leave.  

You might be surprised. Tourism is big but so is the revenue brought in by pension money spent in the Philippines. No different from monies bought in by OFW's which the government considers sacred.

As to tourism, as crime on tourists and expats are perpetrated, word will eventually get around and it will affect the industry.

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

The corruption in the PNP is not as rampant/widespread as many believe or profess! From my standpoint the worst things I see are the cops who just don't do their jobs. When the Chief PNP said there was not enough police presence on the streets, suddenly you see them all over. Now that a few weeks have past you see them less and less! 

Say if they are pulling the dreaded "beat patrol" (walking a beat) on the street. When the car/truck drops them off at their assigned area they will wait a short while then go home or elsewhere for ligtiw (their term for playing hooky from their job)! Then they will show up gain in time for the truck to pick them up! Common!

When I said from my standpoint I feel as though I have a decent perspective since I am married to a PNP officer. Her father and brother are PNP as well! 

• Like 1