Less Crime In Manila

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Bob, the problem is that law enforcement in the Philippines are underpaid. They need better salaries so they are morivated to do their jobs.

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted
The corruption in the PNP is not as rampant/widespread as many believe or profess!

That's a statement that Ian Griffiths, Bella Santos, Sven-Erik Berger and Karen Esdrelon would disagree with - and very likely many more beside, regardless of nationality. As the Griffiths/Santos trial demonstrates, the entire prosecution case is predicated on witness statements whose truthfulness has been effectively proven false. I suggest that one possible reason for this is that the then Governor's face needing saving and her newly-appointed chief of Police's promotion depended on a rapid result.

• Like 2

BobNChe
Posted
Posted (edited)

The corruption in the PNP is not as rampant/widespread as many believe or profess!

That's a statement that Ian Griffiths, Bella Santos, Sven-Erik Berger and Karen Esdrelon would disagree with - and very likely many more beside, regardless of nationality. As the Griffiths/Santos trial demonstrates, the entire prosecution case is predicated on witness statements whose truthfulness has been effectively proven false. I suggest that one possible reason for this is that the then Governor's face needing saving and her newly-appointed chief of Police's promotion depended on a rapid result.

What has that got to do with my statement? We all know about that horrible mess! I never said there was "no" corruption! The perception was that corruption was from stem to stern and that is just not the case, especially with the rank and file officers! You draw your own conclusions from there mate!

Edited by BobNChe

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

Bob, the problem is that law enforcement in the Philippines are underpaid. They need better salaries so they are morivated to do their jobs.

I am not sure I would agree with you, but we'd certainly like for her pay to be higher! :-) It's not a secret because government salaries are public information! A new officer makes about P21K per month with all entitlements. Compared to many jobs here in the Philippines that's not bad!

As a whole this country pays their people crap wages and few benefits! The work ethic in general in the Philippines is not good and yes some of that is tied to poor wages. But many times it's just knowing that you are being crapped on from above! If you increased the pay 50% for the PNP my opinion is that it would have no direct impact on work ethic!

These are my personal opinions!

• Like 2

gaga4
Posted
Posted

If they are paid better bribery and corruption as y'all have mentioned would be cut down or eliminated. And of course theres the corruption part. Its hard to get away from it if it start from the top.... way on top.

Higher minimum wage would also help.There are too many questionsble activities going on unnoticed.

But these are issuess that cannot be resolved overnight. They have been going on too long. But I still say we can all help. Little bites.

The Philippines can be a better country if they get serious with improving it.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

If a person has a corrupt mind then he will still be corrupt regardless of how much you pay him.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Well boys and girls,

There's seem to be "less crime" in Western Visayas region too......he, he.  

The PNP said that over 40 percent of cases during the first half of the year in police offices under Police Regional Office VI went unreported.  PNP chief, Director General Alan Purisima, ordered the relief of 13 police officials in Western Visayas for allegedly violating the strict command policy on accurate crime reporting.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/509251/more-police-officials-relieved-for-underreporting-crime-stats

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

No question about how the public feels:

"MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine National Police (PNP) is the most corrupt institution in the country, according to the latest Global Corruption Barometer of the anti-corruption watchdog Transparency International."

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2013/07/11/964084/pnp-most-corrupt-agency-survey

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Say if they are pulling the dreaded "beat patrol" (walking a beat) on the street. When the car/truck drops them off at their assigned area they will wait a short while then go home or elsewhere for ligtiw (their term for playing hooky from their job)! Then they will show up gain in time for the truck to pick them up! Common!

If that is the case then officers higher up the chain are not doing their job. Surely these police are checked on or have to do reports or have some sort of supervision. How do they explain no fines given out or no investigation or not turning up at an accident or answer a radio if they have one?

The mind boggles 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If a person has a corrupt mind then he will still be corrupt regardless of how much you pay him.

:thumbsup:  IMO this would be correct.

• Like 2