First Time Going Abroad, Could Really Use Some Help!

NClerigo
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting here and let me thank you in advance for any help you can provide...

I'm from Portugal, 29-years-old and single. I got a job offer as a Consultant (in the translation field) in an IT company. In fact, I still haven't gone through the interview yet, meaning that I will have to go to the Philippines soon. They said they will take care of my visa while the rest will be on me (accommodation, airfare, etc).

I was told that as far as the shifting schedule is concerned, it could be a mid shift or a night shift. With regards to my salary, there will be no benefits and it will be all inclusive with a fixed 10% tax deduction on my monthly gross salary.

I would really like to ask someone a couple of questions as I don't know much about these matters....

1. What are the usual working hours and days in the Philippines, more specifically in Manila? Are there any differences at all for expats?

2. What does inclusive salary with a fixed 10% tax deduction actually means?

3. Would a salary in the range of P50,000 - P60,000 be sufficient enough for a somewhat comfortable life in Makati/Manila?

I am very excited about this opportunity and I have been trying to read about these matters but I would really appreciate your insight on my personal situation.

Cheers   :)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Welcome and congrats on the opportunity.  I am sure many will give you the benefit of their wisdom.  My observation is that many foreigners working here are required to work night shifts if there is any communication with North America or Europe, because that is when those continents are awake.  The money is sufficient but you won't be thrilled with it.  Its a fair salary here.

• Like 2

NClerigo
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave   :)

I really hope everything turns out ok!

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Makati is a very expensive area of Manila so if you live there quite a bit of your 50-60k pesos/month will go to living expenses. It does sound like a fun opportunity for a young single guy.

• Like 2

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

ive been looking into moving to manila allot lately too and from what i have found its going to be hard to get a place to live under 20k im sure you can find them cheaper  but will they be up to western standards ???  and that 20k is just for the accommodations not including hydro , water , cable , or inet ! there out there im sure just hard to find online i think ! and earthdome is right makati is expensive try looking on sulit.com or ayosdito and do a search !! good luck and welcome to the forum !!

O-U-C :thumbsup:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I would be very wary if I understand correctly that they want you to fly to Manila for an interview and not a fixed job offer?

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I'm from Portugal, 29-years-old and single. I got a job offer as a Consultant (in the translation field) in an IT company. In fact, I still haven't gone through the interview yet, meaning that I will have to go to the Philippines soon. They said they will take care of my visa while the rest will be on me (accommodation, airfare, etc).

You may be putting the cart in front of the horse; if you haven't been interviewed you don't have a job offer. You don't need a visa to enter the Philippines, you get an entry permit good for 30 days. So, really, they're providing nothing. I agree with the post above; I would be very reluctant to attend an interview on other side of the world completely at my expense, especially at the salaries you've quoted.

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

To work here you would need a visa.  But to get interviewed you do not.  So until you get passed the interview they don't have to do anything.  Definitely something to consider.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Time for a big step back and look at what they are offering. To me? Sounds like another scam in the works.

Still, welcome to the forum! We can help you find out what is what in regards to coming to the Philippines! And if we don't have the answers, we pretty well know where to find them!

Sent by Gaseous Farting Monkeys using tin cans and a string...

• Like 2

NClerigo
Posted
Posted

Hey guys

Thank you very much for your answers so far!

I suppose I still got a lot of thinking to do  :unsure: