First Time Going Abroad, Could Really Use Some Help!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hey guys

Thank you very much for your answers so far!

I suppose I still got a lot of thinking to do  :unsure:

You sure do have a lot of thinking to do. 

Have you ever been to the Philippines before? If not you might be in for a surprise whether good or bad depends on you. This might work out well for you but do not forget as others have said, you're going for an interview and that is not a fixed contract so before you get on the plane you must be prepared to have the financial means to progress or depart.

The main point here is do you really know what you're getting yourself into? 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Have "they" asked for any kind of payment or earnest money?

• Like 1

paulus
Posted
Posted

Mate, I would not want to dampen your enthusiasm to come to Philippines - it really is a great place. But from the vague information given in your post, caution is recommended..

You should know that there have been a couple of scams that have been operating here that usually lure young women from the provinces into Manila. Maybe now they are expanding their operations internationally. I am trying to remember  how these particular scams worked, but my aged memory tells me they portrayed themselves as British, when in fact they were not, and yes money was involved, and these people were surprisingly patient.

I would respectfully suggest that you check the credentials of the people (company?) who you are to meet, where are you to meet (this is more important than you may realise), how did they contact you, or vice versa, what is the job exactly,  and importantly, send no money for whatever reason. And think back about spending all that money on airfares just for an interview? WOW !!!  It might help if you discuss all this with a close friend or two. Sometimes, enthusiasm can obstruct rational thinking. 

Further, if you care to give this forum more specific information, it may be able to be of more assistance to you. Meanwhile, caution is advised.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mate, I would not want to dampen your enthusiasm to come to Philippines - it really is a great place. But from the vague information given in your post, caution is recommended..

You should know that there have been a couple of scams that have been operating here that usually lure young women from the provinces into Manila. Maybe now they are expanding their operations internationally. I am trying to remember  how these particular scams worked, but my aged memory tells me they portrayed themselves as British, when in fact they were not, and yes money was involved, and these people were surprisingly patient.

I would respectfully suggest that you check the credentials of the people (company?) who you are to meet, where are you to meet (this is more important than you may realise), how did they contact you, or vice versa, what is the job exactly,  and importantly, send no money for whatever reason. And think back about spending all that money on airfares just for an interview? WOW !!!  It might help if you discuss all this with a close friend or two. Sometimes, enthusiasm can obstruct rational thinking. 

Further, if you care to give this forum more specific information, it may be able to be of more assistance to you. Meanwhile, caution is advised.

Isn't this forum great?  For a relatively new member, your suggestion is a head shot bulls eye

on the reality check of foreigners trying to join the work force in PI.  

Good on ya Mate!  Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
spill chek
  • Like 2

Lou49
Posted
Posted

You haver never been here in the PI before. You will be shocked at what u see here and u might not like it. If the employer was willing to bear all costs including visas and airfare AND 100,000 php a month salary I might consider it. Otherwise I would pass on it. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I'm trying to give you a big "heads up". Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There are a lot of people giving negative points of view here.  They may be right.  But from the point of view of a guy who lives here and may be looking for a job one day, I would certainly travel to Manila for the interview so long as they were not asking money from me. A job paying 60,000 pesos a month here is a good job and yes, there are a lot of foreigners earning that much.

But then, I already live here so it is not too much trouble to take a trip to Manila.  Are you able to afford the trip if the job does not work out?  If so then come on down, check it out, and call it a vacation if it does not work out.   Just don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

• Like 3

NClerigo
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your help!

I suppose I can answer a few questions:

1. No, they havent asked for any kind of payment or earnest money.

2. Role: Portuguese translator, more specifically Portuguese into English and vice versa; Type: Consulting

3. The company is Alsons/AWS Information Systems, Inc;  Location: Global One Building, Eastwood

4. I'm able to afford the trip although it will be a bit hard...

I'm trying to get more information as we speak.

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted
call it a vacation if it does not work out. Just don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

Yes, my advice too. Call it 95% vacation. 5% possible job. And you will never regret a vacation in the Phils.

More advice, read as much as you can of what's already been written on this forum. It's an education !

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
2. What does inclusive salary with a fixed 10% tax deduction actually means?

That's odd. Seem they try to fool you you will only need to pay 10 % tax!!  E g at 575 000 per year, the tax is 125 000 =22 %

and 32% at the part above that.

I don't know in comparing with Portugal, but in Sweden the employER HAVE TO pay the "employer fees". In the Philippines such costs are suppoused to be SPLIT equal between employer and employee. I haven't counted for your salary level, but perhaps THAT part is around 10%.  (Obligatoric are PhilHealth =reduce health costs a bit. SSS=Mainly pay some when you can't work including retirement fund, but also some loan possibilities after a longer membership. Pag-Ibig=A type of obligatoric saving, which includes possibilities after years to get house loan in cities.)

LOOK UP if the employer is shady. Many Filipins have been fooled, employer have deducted the fees, but kept the money for themselves, so the employer haven't been insured and don't get the benefits  :bash:

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

This company has been around in different forms since 1997, they merged with an IT company, but they are also a recruitment company. While I worked in Pasig, they had an office in the building next to mine, small office at the time and then they moved to Eastwood. They also had an office in Makati and Cebu.

I suggest you look at www.pinoyexchange.com and look them up, just put their name in the search engine, also put ADTX systems Inc. as that was one of the companies that merged.

When you go into Pinoy Exchange, look up Call Centers, then put their name in the search engine.

Pinoy Exchange, is where you will find many Call Center agents etc. voice their personal views about companies they have worked for, or seek information about companies that they want to work for.

I know they have done quite a bit of recruitment for language translations, especially in Japanese translations.

Please find below information about them.

Alsons/AWS Information Systems

Description:
Alsons/AWS Information Systems, Inc. (formerly Alsons/ADTX Information Systems, Inc.) offers affordable and efficient IT solutions for companies to support and enhance their business. It was established last May 21, 1997 as a joint venture between Advanced World Systems, Inc. (formerly ADTX Systems, Inc.) and Alsons Corporation. Advanced World Systems, Inc., is a 100% Japanese-owned company based in Manila and Cebu in the Philippines. AW Systems is engaged in application software development, web-related software development, firmware 
design & development, printer microcode & device driver development, mobile device development & quality assurance service. Alsons Corporation is a diversified Filipino-owned conglomerate (Alcantara Group) of more than 30 operating companies. The Group's interests span a wide range of industries including industrial products, power generation, agri-business, forestry, transportation, property development and construction materials. AAISI's services include Application Software Development, Systems Integration, IT Infrastructure/LAN Setup and Maintenance, Network and Data Security, Solutions, Web Site Design and Development, IT Staff Augmentation Service, and Sales of Computer Hardware and Software Designs. We cater to local companies, especially Japanese firms since we are well familiar with the Japanese way of doing business.

ADTX Systems Inc., is a Software Development Company providing High-Quality Software Development Services for both the Japanese and Asian Market. ADTX Systems offers a wide-range of outsourcing services ranging from Software Design and Development to Product Quality Assurance, both on English and Japanese platforms. Among the products and service offerings are Printer Research and Development, Mobile Device Development, Product and Quality Assurance, Applications Development, and ASIC Design.

Alsons Corporation is a diversified Filipino-owned conglomerate (Alcantara Group) of more than 30 operating companies. The Group's interests span a wide range of industries including industrial products, power generation, agri-business, forestry, transportation, property development and construction materials

Committed to delivering innovation, AAISI provides best service and unparalleled expertise using the latest technology backed by competent and highly professional workforce. Our pools of clients are mainly Japanese Corporations in various Processing Zones. Thus, we know and understand the Japanese Business style. 

URL: http://www.aaisi.com.ph

Hope this helps,

Papa Carl

• Like 4