How Much To Build A House In Samar Cost

jwb912
Posted
Posted

Greetings Expats, I apologize for posting this under chatter, but the Build Property link does not seem to be working. So, my question really is, what do you think the cost would be to build a small, 3 bedroom, single story house would be on my own property, in Samar, close to Calbayog City??? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks... Jimmy

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Moved topic.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Prices are be all over the place depending on what your idea of simple is and how you go about building it.

I know of a better than average quality home built this year just outside Cebu City for three million. Its two story three bedroom two bath with shower car port quality steel roof granite kitchen counters imported faucets and all other hardware including aircon in each bedroom. I guess it to be about 1200 sq ft.

The owners were their own contractor no workers set foot on site or did any work without them in attendance. An engineer designed the home and visited often to inspect and advise as needed. The foreman was a respected known member of the community. The workers were brought on by the day. If they did not provide quality work at a reasonable speed they did not return the next day. They were provided with transportation to the work site and food no Filipino time BS. 

The workers were paid a fair wage once a week and treated with respect.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Greetings Expats, I apologize for posting this under chatter, but the Build Property link does not seem to be working. So, my question really is, what do you think the cost would be to build a small, 3 bedroom, single story house would be on my own property, in Samar, close to Calbayog City??? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks... Jimmy

If you contact member Bruce he will have an idea as he has built in Samar. If you can not find his details let me know and I will PM them to you.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Hewy09
Posted
Posted

I am also interested in Samar! My asawa is from there and within the next few years I want to build a simple home nothing special just safe ! Safe from unwanted guests and from typhoons , if possible.

Now I'm looking at the island of Tagapul-an. I know this will present its challenges but I'm up for it!

I am actually considering building it myself as I have always worked in construction, my trade is concrete finisher. That said I have a an idea of how I want to build it. And it will be different from the norm.

However I would be very interested I anything regarding construction on a small island and the other areas of Samar.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Since not a lot of response, I'll jump in. We built our house here in the Manila area. We also owned the land prior to building. 3 bedroom, 2 bath, living/dining, kitchen, dirty kitchen, family room, attic (actually two stories). After we got done adding stuff etc. cost about 4 million pesos. From what I understand, building materials might be a bit more expensive in the province but labor costs are a bit less. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I am actually considering building it myself as I have always worked in construction, my trade is concrete finisher. That said I have a an idea of how I want to build it. And it will be different from the norm. However I would be very interested I anything regarding construction on a small island and the other areas of Samar.
Have you seen this topic concerning building safe houses?  http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/17651-catastrophe-safe-built-houses/

In mass production using and reusing a "baloon", they say small such strong houses can be built for only 1500 USD.

As a concrete builder what do you think, can the TOP part in BIGER (=diameter 12 meter or so) such houses realy be built with only chicken net to stop the concrete from poring where it isn't suppoused to por?

I think of geting one such myself, but I'm "worried" how that part of the construction can be done proper.

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

My partner and I are building a house on land in the mountains outside of Argao so some things may be comparable with Samar. I've found that building materials are overall cheaper here than in Cebu city but apart from that, the main saving is labour costs. We are in an area where there are plenty of relatives with a mix of carpentry / mason skills and they are building our house at what would probably be half the rate you would pay someone in the city. We feed them too so they are happy and we let them work at their pace so no rushed work. So far I have no complaints.

You're labour costs in Samar would probably be cheaper than here in Cebu island but be sure you can trust whom you employ. Family that try to rip you off is a problem with further implications down the line. Perhaps building materials might be at a premium in Samar now since Yolanda I don't know. There isn't any shortage of any building materials here in Argao, just sachet coffee hehe.

Hope all goes well with your house

• Like 2

Markham
Posted
Posted

One of the major factors that will affect building costs on Samar (and other typhoon affected islands) will be the cost of basic materials such as cement, sand and steel. I'm told that cement prices being charged on Leyte are 5 - 6 times higher now than they were before the typhoon hit. Some of that increase will be shortage of supply but there's also an element of profiteering as well.

• Like 1

Hewy09
Posted
Posted

Thomas

Yes I have seen those dome houses and they would be great. Provided that they suit your needs. They are super strong and there is no where wind can catch them to provide lift. Yes they can be built bigger. The problem I have is the wasted usable space near the edges, I'm not exactly tall at 5'11" but the ones I have been in would be troublesome. The only draw back I can foresee is the concrete mixes them selves not being up to par for such a structure. Even if a full cage of rebar is built. Here in Canada we would use shot Crete and it designed for sticking to vertical surfaces.

The only other draw back I see is the kids playing on the roof all the time lol.

Hope that helped.

I can totally see that right at this moment that starting a building project may be a problem considering the unfortunate circumstances of Yolanda. It will be maybe a year or so before I can start on my little project so I hope things get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!