Typhoon Haiyan

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I got report from friends in Cagayan de Oro. They are back from evacuation place and no one of them injuried. I haven't got report about their homes.

• Like 3

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Really good news footage of the typhoon damage on Sky News in Australia.

• Like 3

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

Made it here to Lapu Lapu the day before the typhoon hit. No real damage that i can see on mactan other than lots of branches , a few trees and a few roofs....hope our friends to the north came thru as well as we did here

• Like 5

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

All appears to be well in Argao. Towns a bit messy but intact. Mimi and I actually caught a trike into town to buy some dinner yesterday early evening after the worst had past. It was business as usual sort of

• Like 4

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Any word from Bohol ?

I'm told they expected the eye to pass north of them.

Sorry, not too familiar with geography or place names.

• Like 2

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

Any word from Bohol ?

I'm told they expected the eye to pass north of them.

Sorry, not too familiar with geography or place names.

My future in-laws are on Pangangan on the SW side of Bohol.  They are fine with minimal damage.  From what I saw online it seemed like there was some heavier damage on the NE end of Bohol. 

• Like 4

jwb912
Posted
Posted

Hello Expats, Everyone here in the States is frantically trying to find out if relatives are okay. If you have internet access, The various regions should sound off, they are okay. Families are posting to Facebook, trying to get news. I am very interested in the region of Calbayog City, Samar. If anyone lives close to that area, please post how the conditions and affects are... Thank you so much... Jimmy

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hello Expats, Everyone here in the States is frantically trying to find out if relatives are okay. If you have internet access, The various regions should sound off, they are okay. Families are posting to Facebook, trying to get news. I am very interested in the region of Calbayog City, Samar. If anyone lives close to that area, please post how the conditions and affects are... Thank you so much... Jimmy

Bruce had contact with his associates in Samar up until the worst hit and power went off. I will contact him today to see if he has any other news.

• Like 2

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

My sincere hopes and prayer extend to all expats and there families and indeed to all the people of the Philippines and to the many members in country for keeping us informed, Those of us who are going to make the phils home feel helpless and are eager for any news.

Thank you Guys and Gals

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Haiyan leaves '100 dead' in Philippines

More than 100 bodies are lying in the streets of one Philippine city that was hit by Super Typhoon Haiyan, an aviation authority chief says.

John Andrews, deputy director general of the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines, said the Tacloban airport manager had radioed the head office in Manila to report '100-plus dead, lying on the streets, with 100 plus injured'.

'This report was relayed to us by our station manager so it is considered very reliable information,' he told ABS-CBN television in an interview.

'According to the station manager the airport is completely ruined.'

Tacloban is the capital of Leyte, a large island of about two million people that was hit by Haiyan on Friday morning when the storm was at its strongest, knocking out all its communication facilities.

Andrews said the information about the deaths was relayed by high-frequency radio to the authorities.

Local television GMA network reported that storm surges had hit Tacloban and nearby Palo town on its east coast.

Its reporter said he counted at least 31 bodies, including 20 at the Palo church.

Philippine authorities are now rushing rescuers and communication equipment to the island.

Five other people have been confirmed killed elsewhere in the central Philippines.

Haiyan hurtled into Leyte and nearby Samar island with maximum sustained winds of around 315 kilometres (195 miles) an hour, making it the strongest typhoon in the world this year and one of the most intense ever to make landfall.

It swept across the central and southern Philippines throughout the day before exiting into the South China Sea and tracking towards Vietnam.

Authorities in central Vietnam were evacuating thousands of residents on Saturday to prepare for Haiyan's landfall there.

About 20,000 people were being evacuated in several districts in Da Nang city, the newspaper Tuoi Tre reported.

'This is the strongest typhoon in history over the East Sea and it can be compared with other strongest storms on the earth such as typhoons Andrew and Katrina in the US, and typhoon Nargis in Myanmar,' Tuoi Tre quoted Bui Minh Tang, director of the Central Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting Center, as saying.

More people will be evacuated in surrounding provinces, but no numbers have been confirmed yet.

Haiyan is expected to make landfall in the central provinces of Vietnam early on Sunday as a category 1 or 2 typhoon, according to the United Nation's Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

It is expected to be downgraded to a tropical storm on Sunday morning.

• Like 4