Typhoon Haiyan

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Glad you are OK.

"The wind and driving rain blew the rain somehow through the upstairs bedroom block wall"     <scratching my head>

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hello Expats, Everyone here in the States is frantically trying to find out if relatives are okay. If you have internet access, The various regions should sound off, they are okay. Families are posting to Facebook, trying to get news. I am very interested in the region of Calbayog City, Samar. If anyone lives close to that area, please post how the conditions and affects are... Thank you so much... Jimmy

Bruce had contact with his associates in Samar up until the worst hit and power went off. I will contact him today to see if he has any other news.

Just an update

I have not had a reply from Bruce and my gut feeling is he is on his way to Sarmar. He asked me to do some things for him and also to pass on the message that anyone donating money to family in the Philippines can claim a tax US tax deduction by confirming with him by Email even if not donating to his charity. I am not up with the tax side of things so please contact him directly through his site, http://www.philippinebasicneeds.com/

My mistake. Bruce has not gone to the Philippines. He still has no contact with anyone in Samar as cell phones are either flat or no service.

Member, jwb912; Bruce said that the eye of the typhoon went over Tacloban and Calbayog is about 180 km north of Tacloban so I can only assume that damage may not be so bad there. 

This video gives a good indication of what it is like in Tacloban.

http://youtu.be/7KE1bSBsR0E

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just thought I would post some photos we took in our garden just before the Storm Broke,  have to admit, it got a little unnerving. Luckily, we suffered only the lose of 1 (one) papaya tree. all taken within 2/3 mins, you can see how quick it moved. :unsure:

:tiphat:

post-2148-0-09232000-1384050350_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-05112200-1384050385_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-16858800-1384050410_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-01700800-1384050540_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-44881100-1384050566_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-67985300-1384050591_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-63427900-1384050608_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-63954700-1384050624_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-61495100-1384050639_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Dougbert
Posted
Posted (edited)

Pretty horrific damage.  Latest I saw were estimates that 10,000 may have been lost in and around Tacloban.  Hard to imagine.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/super-typhoon-haiyan-latest-news-20131108

Edited by Dougbert

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

I still havent heard From my friend in ormoc Leyte , but i did get a update from my ex's cousin on mactan there fine so one less to worry about i guess , but doesnt make it any easier when i see that video of tacloban not too fear for her :(

O-U-C :(

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Glad you are OK.

"The wind and driving rain blew the rain somehow through the upstairs bedroom block wall"     <scratching my head>

Yup ... made us scratch our head also ... the structure is brand new and there are no visible cracks on the outside .... there is however spider-cracks in the paint on the inside wall and the wall appeared to be damp with water droplets on it but only about 3ft off the floor .... it is an outside end wall and no roof over it so it didn't come from the roof and leak down .... I wish we had checked it sooner but like i said we found it when we went to bed some 5 hours after the storm passed ....  :thumbsup:  ..... in this case "not even the shadow knows" ..... :mocking:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Glad you are OK.

Yup ... made us scratch our head also ... the structure is brand new and there are no visible cracks on the outside .... there is however spider-cracks in the paint on the inside wall and the wall appeared to be damp with water droplets on it but only about 3ft off the floor .... it is an outside end wall and no roof over it so it didn't come from the roof and leak down .... I wish we had checked it sooner but like i said we found it when we went to bed some 5 hours after the storm passed ....  :thumbsup:  ..... in this case "not even the shadow knows" ..... :mocking:

:cheersty:

Most likely blew in under the eaves. Any pictures of the damage in your area?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

here is a partly related article regarding the storm damage

( cant cut n paste as it will not display properly)

MANILA - The National Anti-Poverty Commission (NAPC) has released 10 maps of the five hardest-hit provinces in Eastern Visayas (Region 8) showing the location of the poor households who are at risk of landslides and flooding. 

The barangay-level maps of Eastern Samar,

Leyte, Northern Samar,

Southern Leyte, and Western Samar show that most of the poor who are at risk for floods and landslides live in coastal areas.

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/74487/focus-help-here--napc-maps-at-risk-poor-in-e--visayas-areas-hardest-hit-by-yolanda

• Like 1