Typhoon Haiyan

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Merged all the typhoon threads into one.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

We arrive in Manila on the 10th (Sunday), with plans to head out to Marinduque the next day.  Really appreciate the updates.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Looks pretty nasty.  Bohol does not need this!

We were supposed to join a school field trip to Manila Ocean Park on Saturday but they have already cancelled it.

Also, one thing I did not see in the previous storms this year is large storm surge.  This one is predicted to have a huge storm surge, so if you are in a risky shore area, you need to move.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

post-1293-0-79555100-1383717342_thumb.gi

here is the latest graphic update

6pm update

post-1293-0-21856200-1383734123_thumb.jp

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is the type of track map I used to like best when living if Florida:

http://www.typhoon2000.ph/activetrack.gif

This is a good source of information:

http://www.typhoon2000.ph/

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

MANILA, Nov 6 (Reuters) - The Philippines evacuated coastal areas and put emergency workers on alert on Wednesday as a storm expected to grow into a super typhoon headed towards central islands still recovering from a 7.2 magnitude earthquake that hit last month.

Typhoon Haiyan, with gusts of up to 185 kph (115 mph), was moving over the sea at 30 kph (18 mph) and may make landfall at mid-day on Friday in the central islands of Samar and Leyte, said Science and Technology Secretary Mario Montejo.

"We are advising the people to secure their homes because we are expecting a powerful typhoon, a super typhoon," Montejo said.

"It's still in the Pacific but it has gained speed and may enter our area of responsibility by tomorrow (Thursday)."

Officials in the central Cebu, Bohol and Albay areas have closed schools, prepared emergency shelters and food and put emergency workers on alert.

"We're aiming for zero casualties so we sent advisories to local disaster agencies to start evacuating people from coastal and low-lying areas as well as those in landslide-prone areas," said Flor Gaviola, a regional disaster official.

Thousands of people on Bohol island are still in shelters after their homes were destroyed in an Oct. 15 earthquake that killed more than 200 people.

About 20 typhoons hit the Philippines every year.

Typhoon Bopha, the strongest storm to hit last year, flattened three coastal towns on the southern island of Mindanao, killing 1,100 people, and destroyed crops, property and infrastructure worth $1.04 billion. (Reporting By Manuel Mogato; Editing by Robert Birsel)

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

CEBU CITY (Updated) -- Classes at elementary and high school levels in some provinces in central Philippines will be suspended on November 7 and 8, as Typhoon Haiyan intensifies and moves closer to the Philippines.

Cebu Governor Hilario Davide III announced Wednesday that class suspension applies to "all levels in public and private schools" in the Province of Cebu.

The Talisay City Government also ordered the suspension of classes in all private and public schools in Talisay on Thursday and Friday due to the brewing storm.

In Lapu-Lapu City, Mayor Paz Radaza convened the city's risk reduction council in preparation for the super typhoon. Classes on all levels in all private and public schools in the city are suspended on Thursday and Friday.

The class suspension was also declared in Bohol Province, which is still trying to recover from the damages caused by the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that shook the island on October 15.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Merged all the typhoon threads into one.

Attn Medic Mike

No need to keep starting new typhoon threads.  we can keep them all together here.  (I see 2 new ones started since this amalgamation.  I attempted to merge them and probably screwed it up so just keep the new posts in this thread please.)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

With all due respect, and in my humble opinion, I think you are doing a disservice to forum members by amalgamation of new news stories about the typhoon.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
With all due respect, and in my humble opinion, I think you are doing a disservice to forum members by amalgamation of new news stories about the typhoon.

Appreciate the respectful comments.  As far as I know, boss wants topics contained.  MikeB is number 2 man in forum hierarchy so just following his lead, JGF will make any final decision if you want to PM him.

• Like 1