What Area Of Cebu To Look For A House?

TedDBayer
Posted
Posted

Cebu is quite large. I live outside of a Canadian town of 4000. My plan is to come to Cebu for a week and look for a house. I don't know Cebu. What area has a good hospital, shopping close etc, but is more quiet. I guess I am asking information about Cebu, Mandaue City and Mactan Island so I can narrow my search. I was leaning towards Mactan Island, any critiques??

I have been to the Philippines before and I lived in China for most of the last 2 years. I was lucky when I went to China. I saw many cities, but I loved living in Guilin. It's a smaller city, but I didn't like winter there.

Thanks and merry Xmas

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

In regards to finding a place to live, it will really be how much you can afford, and how much you are willing to travel to get to major malls and shopping areas etc etc. When you get here you will see what I mean. In regards to Mactan Island, I must admit I am partial to that area as well. The down side is, it is kind of far from the city centre, and also the bridge can get really busy sometimes, making travel times long.

In regards to hospitals, in general the hospitals are kind of a nightmare. The only one I would personally use for my own treatment is Chong Hua. Depending on what you are use to, I would not bother with any other hospital.

Just my two cents.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I agree with Medic Mike to do with Chong Hua and he has real knowledge with the medical community there. My sister in law worked at Chong Hua for awhile as an RN she would not recommend any other place in Cebu.

If you want quiet it will be hard to find in Philippines. For some reason the volume control is set to 11 over there. :unsure:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
What area has a good hospital, shopping close etc, but is more quiet

Maria Luisa subdivision but it is probably the most expensive place to rent.  I don't know of anyone renting in there for less than 50k a month

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What area has a good hospital, shopping close etc, but is more quiet

Maria Luisa subdivision but it is probably the most expensive place to rent.  I don't know of anyone renting in there for less than 50k a month

Maria Luisa is very nice its safe too. The prices are just stupid expensive as much or more as in metro Seattle.

Were you thinking of buying a home or renting? Philippines is having a housing bubble IMO.

• Like 1

TedDBayer
Posted
Posted

I want to rent for 6 months and decide if I want to sell my house in Canada. I may lease a house, but most likely just rent. If a house gets flooded etc, I'd be eukered.

I'd be giving up a lot, I have a rural house in Canada, 240'm. It has all the bells and whistles, hardwood and slate floor, oak cupboards on a quiet road with a water view on 4 acres. I'm just tired of being cold and taxed to death. Even though I don't have a mortgage, the bills and property tax run almost $1000 a month and I have no services. I'd have to start over, buy pots, dishes etc. I just want to be sure that I really want to do it.

I don't know where the major malls and hospitals are, so I'm asking , where are they? What area do I look in? 

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I want to rent for 6 months and decide if I want to sell my house in Canada. I may lease a house, but most likely just rent. If a house gets flooded etc, I'd be eukered.

I'd be giving up a lot, I have a rural house in Canada, 240'm. It has all the bells and whistles, hardwood and slate floor, oak cupboards on a quiet road with a water view on 4 acres. I'm just tired of being cold and taxed to death. Even though I don't have a mortgage, the bills and property tax run almost $1000 a month and I have no services. I'd have to start over, buy pots, dishes etc. I just want to be sure that I really want to do it.

I don't know where the major malls and hospitals are, so I'm asking , where are they? What area do I look in? 

If I was you, I would stay at my usual hotel. It is listed as a 3 star hotel, but I would rate it as a 4 star, it is in Banilad, which is pretty close to everything. You can stay there pretty cheap. Holiday Spa Hotel. You could use it as your base of operations while you are looking around.

• Like 1

TedDBayer
Posted
Posted

I want to spend a week looking. I found Chong Hua hospital. What is the area west or north of the hospital like? is this a cooler area temperature wise?

TedDBayer
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the tip, I was looking in the Osmena Blvd traffic circle area.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I want to spend a week looking. I found Chong Hua hospital. What is the area west or north of the hospital like? is this a cooler area temperature wise?

Temperature is pretty much the same throughout Cebu City....lol.....hot and humid :)

• Like 1