What Area Of Cebu To Look For A House?

jpbago
Posted
Posted

If you have any children or plan on having some, you want to be close to a good private school/college. We are only 25 km away but it takes 1 to 2 hours each way. They leave at 6:10 AM and come home at 8:00 PM all tired and dirty from the highway. It cost 1,000p each for monthly service Mon-Fri then extra on the weekends and more if they miss their service. 15 minutes away by tricycle would be ideal.

If you are near to a school/college, then likely you are also near to shopping and hospitals.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
15 minutes away by tricycle would be ideal.
3 minutes run would be ideal  :dance:     (If wanting to live in a city.)

(I had it like that back when I were a student. Because I want to sleep as late as possible in the mornings, I found it very good I could leave home at first bell, being there in time 3 minutes later.)

newbster
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you have any children or plan on having some, you want to be close to a good private school/college. We are only 25 km away but it takes 1 to 2 hours each way. They leave at 6:10 AM and come home at 8:00 PM all tired and dirty from the highway. It cost 1,000p each for monthly service Mon-Fri then extra on the weekends and more if they miss their service. 15 minutes away by tricycle would be ideal.

If you are near to a school/college, then likely you are also near to shopping and hospitals.

How can you find good (I'm looking for a sweet spot of price/quality - not for the most expensive, but something moderately priced that offers good value for grades K-12) schools - specifically around Cebu since I expect to be within 30km of Cebu, perhaps in the city itself or on Mactan even.

Edited by newbster

jpbago
Posted
Posted

UNOR likely would be the one but it would be below USA standards. They all waste too much time on religion, Rizal, filipino culture, and other non-education courses/activities.

• Like 1

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
That's why I say you should explore, what's right for you isn't right for me and vice versa. Where I live there's no pollution or traffic but there's also no nightlife, good restaurants, and shopping is limited. If you live in the province you are probably going to need to have transportation. Many factors to consider.
I did some exploring (minor)and got hooked on Argao, its a quaint little town on the beach. It kinda reminded me of Santa Cruz, Ca. before all the b.s. moved in (dope dealers, and other riff raff)
  • Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Bring a 32 foot Winnebago mobile home. Park at the school Monday to Friday and then at the beach on the weekends.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
TedDBayer
Posted
Posted

I'm home and over being jet lagged. I liked Collingwood on Mactan, saw some new gated housing developments and really got a look at what the average Filipino lives in. so many slums, I really feel for the people, didn't know things were that bad. China is nothing like this.

I took a trip to Carcar. On the map it looks like it is separate from Cebu, but by taxi, I couldn't realty notice where one ended and the other stopped. I got up at 8am, my guide showed up at 2pm, it got dark before I saw many places is Carcar. With most of the gated communities I saw, I didn't even look farther than the front gate. I want a clean looking house and need some yard. I have a dog, she needs a little space and she won't run loose. I can see a Collie disappearing there.

At least I understand the leasing to get around buying, but the leasing seemed to be available only on the biggest houses. If I get a Filipino partner I could swing 2M - 3M , maybe 4M for a house. Renting looks like the best idea. I wanted to see Argao but didn't discover it until my time was almost up, so didn't see it.

I spend too much money when I travel and this trip was one of my most expensive and I got robbed, money, cell phone and computer, hey at least I have stories. I gave my spare cell phone and a fake S4 away, people are so poor there and I'm a sucker.

I'll have to come back, rent a place and explore, but I think I'd need a helicopter to find a place. Maybe an out island with a bamboo hut, where the natives still wear grass skirts. I'll buy extra lighters.

I'm still open for places to check out.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The drive from Cebu City to Carcar is miserable. It was bad before but the long term construction makes it much worse. Once you get south of Carcar it opens up and it's much nicer. You might want to look in that area.  

Sorry to hear about you getting robbed, can you share some of the details?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I moved the posts re: the bar girl to it's own thread - http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/18628-robbed-in-angeles-hotel/

• 1 month later...
sunrise7bi
Posted
Posted

Good thread! I need the information, too!