44.99 Pesos For A Dollar On Xe.com

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

The peso extended its decline against the dollar midday Thursday,

as it settled at 45.096, weaker than its 45 finish yesterday.

Total volume reached $472.4 million as of Thursday afternoon, higher than the $411.4 million posted the same time yesterday.

The peso returned to the 45 to $1 range yesterday after more than three years,

when it hit 45.08 to a dollar last Sept.1,2010.

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Governor Amando Tetangco, Jr. attributed the peso's decline to uncertainties surrounding the speed and duration of the United States Federal Reserve's tapering.

maybe this higher rate will stay this way for a few weeks or longer to help us

.& the OFW's who remit.

This can be GOOD NEWS for all.  :santa dance:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The volatility is high but the main trend is up for the dollar.  45.17 right now and it may something to do with the fact that US Fed Res chairman Bernanke is having a press conference.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
On my recent trip I got PHP from Chase bank at 37php to $1 before I left the US

Robert K. you didnt do wrong at getting this rate, yes 37 is (anal discharge)

.since it was your 1st time to travel

and didnt know all the ins & outs,

You had the peace of mind/safety of having the peso in your hand,

and that should be the positive outlook on this.

A what if? if you had come on late and the exchange was closed . or that your ATM debt card not worked.

what would you have done?

In the past I only got another countries currency before I left,

1. from other travelers who had been to X.Y or Z.

2,AMEX  or AMEX travelers  check( this was 80's early 90's.. pre Euro /atm debt card days)

if I had already left or trip was planned..then

3. at the exchange at the arrival of the country.

4. i exchanged my $$ w/a trusted local who needed the $$ for his business or travels to the US.

5. if it was to the eastern/ost Europe.(before unification)  Good old(brand new) Levis. :541: 

i think only once did i exchange at a US airport or bank before hand,& that was due to my arrival in XZY was over there LONG holiday weekend

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

robert k
Posted
Posted

Pittman, thanks for the confirmation. I did feel alot more comfortable hitting the ground with 9,900 piso in my pocket being able to pay for my immediate tourist visa extentsion and not having to find an atm before I could pay cab fare. I was a little disappointed in my bank. I realise they have to make money off customers but do they really have to charge that much when I did not use their expedited service and it took 10 days?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I charged gas on my Mastercard yesterday (PH date 17th), 1879.61 pesos, billed as $41.65 USD on my US Mastercard.  Exchange rate of 45.13.  That is very close to the XE.com mid-market rate of 45.16 (US date 16th) and is the best I have ever received.

Mastercard is a good way to move money over at a good exchange rate.

I also get points on my Capital One Mastercard that can be used for travel or other purchase credits.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

i am sure JJR can explain better than I can, :444:

had you been on the west coast or an area of demand for asian currency you would have gotten a better rate,

being in the central of america the rate is lower,

also we see on the net 44.25 and we usually expect to get that rate or very close.

when i lived in the EU/spain, Rarely did I ever get a rate that I saw listed on the net. always 175-200 cents less big difference from  philippines,

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The volatility is high but the main trend is up for the dollar.  45.17 right now and it may something to do with the fact that US Fed Res chairman Bernanke is having a press conference.

Huge volatility.  5 minutes ago it was up to 45.40 whereas this morning it was around 45.10.  Now it dropped back to 45.32.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Here's the XOOM code for Jan if anyone still needs it. Saved me $4.99.

XOOMNEWYEAR

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The volatility continues.  Today the peso traded around 45.30 most of the day, and closed the Philippine business day at 45.30.  However, after that it fell drastically and the mid-market rate right now is 45.55.

I can't find much news about the peso and I am curious what is driving it.  The dollar was actually weaker against most world currencies.