44.99 Pesos For A Dollar On Xe.com

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I got 45.06 the other day when doing a fx online with BPI.

The USD is up over 10% from where it was a year ago vs the peso.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

So frustrating! The Canadian $ is barely above 90 cents US. At least the peso closed today at 41.0674 for us.

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

• 1 month later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

today thursday 20 march the rate has slightly gone over the 45.00 

had closed at 44.85 on wed pm, maybe something is happening that we dont know,

or its a gift to OnMyWay.

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/18144-4468-pesos-for-a-dollar/

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

today thursday 20 march the rate has slightly gone over the 45.00 

had closed at 44.85 on wed pm, maybe something is happening that we dont know,

or its a gift to OnMyWay.

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/18144-4468-pesos-for-a-dollar/

Funny you said that because the day after my last check cleared the rate headed south, down to around 44.3 at the trough, and now it has been headed back up, so I should go ahead with an exchange.

Janet Yellen's speech moved the dollar up but unfortunately was bad for the stock market!  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The dollar is surging against the peso and the mid-market rate is now 45.30 on XE.com.  You should be able to get over 45 if you need to exchange dollars.

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

The dollar is surging against the peso and the mid-market rate is now 45.30 on XE.com.  You should be able to get over 45 if you need to exchange dollars.

New to all of this. Ii just checked the XE as saw that as well. So I should be able to get 45 exactly where; here in the states anywhere, online or only there in the Philippines? I am thinking can I get that here in the states?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

New to all of this. Ii just checked the XE as saw that as well. So I should be able to get 45 exactly where; here in the states anywhere, online or only there in the Philippines? I am thinking can I get that here in the states?

I meant here in the Philippines.  Typically at my BPI branch here I will get 15-20 centavos less than the XE.com rate.  The XE.com rate is the mid-market rate, which means the average between buy and sell rate on the currency exchanges.

It is tough to get a good rate in the US.  Banks take a big cut in one way or another.  The exchange booths in the airports don't have good rates but you should get a bit of pesos before you leave.  Some of the Cebu members can advise you on some places to exchange after you arrive.

You can use your ATM card to get some cash but some might have high fees.  A few US financial institutions have entirely free ATM withdrawals (Fidelity, Schwab, USAA) but they will get about 1 peso on the exchange rate.  Still OK.

Some credit cards will get you a really nice exchange rate, so consider using them for your large expenses like hotel.  Capital One Mastercard gives me a fantastic exchange rate every time I use it, so I use it often as a way to move money from the US to here.

Edited by OnMyWay

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Capital One Mastercard gives me a fantastic exchange rate every time I use it, so I use it often as a way to move money from the US to here.

Do you mean by purchasing or actually transferring funds?

robert k
Posted
Posted

OnMyWay meant 15-20 centavos I'm sure, for any new people. -15 to 20 piso would be horrible.

I have been wishing I were in RP for some months now with these great rates. When I first started looking at moving to the RP in 2010 it was 43 or 44 to the dollar and then it later dropped to 38 per $. Real old timers tell me it was best when it was 8 piso to the dollar, the piso went so much farther then, but so did a dollar. :)

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Capital One Mastercard gives me a fantastic exchange rate every time I use it, so I use it often as a way to move money from the US to here.

Do you mean by purchasing or actually transferring funds?

Purchasing.  Now that we have a higher rate, I use it for my gas and groceries quite often, and some larger purchases if it doesn't impact the cost of the item.  That money spent on the card here is basically a dollar to peso transfer.  I have a spreadsheet that I keep all my exchanges in and I include the Capital One purchases.

I was going  to use it for our hospital bill but they charge 3% to use a credit card.   :bash: