Average Filipino Family Income About 20,000 Pesos A Month

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

What would member say the average income is for a typical family household then?  My gf family, 6 in two bed house, one works plus my gf remits money, i would say 20k month in manilla!!!

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I can believe 20k for the only household I am really acquainted with (out in the provinces). My girl is live in help in Manilla and earns 7k php/month and sends money home. Her brother works at a service station, didn't ask what he made because it was/is irrelevent to me and her father is in construction when there is work and farms when there is not. My girls mother works the hardest of all although she receives no money for her work keeping the clothes clean, cooking and the house liveable.

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I asked my Special Someone this question a while back....   She will be making about P14,000 a month once she gets established in the teaching field (Special Ed) and maybe a bit more if she gets in Cebu City proper.  Her mother, who has been in retail management for quite a number of years makes around P12k a month - which she told me is considered really good.  

A friend of mine here in Canada has a brother in Makati who is an accountant (CPA?  no idea - just accountant is all she knows) and he makes over P28k a month.  He also looks after their parents and their daily expenses, the younger ones still at home (including education) and they both share special holiday expenses.  Her other brother works in a factory re-manufacturing car parts and makes around P6000 a month so he looks after himself.  My friend, by the way, is paying the mortgage on the house she had built for her parents.  

We consistently revisit the "Live on $800 a month" thread.  Today that is over P36,000.  (Yes, I used US$)  I wonder what I'll read there next...  

:mocking:

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

if the figure is 20,000 a month i shall be doing very well, but remember there will be only the two of us, that makes it go a little further i hope

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Friends of mine in AC, married couple, both optical technicians in a store in Nepo mall, earn about 14 and 16k PHP a month each; she's on a little more as she's the supervisor.  6 kids plus her parents, the two elder kids contribute a little as well. They live in a small 3 bedroom rendered brick house, which they own, down a dirt track in a crowded Barangay in AC.  Two scooters as the family car, eat well, kids go to a cheaper private school (Holy Family), pay for all the essentials and the occasional extras by saving.. Remember when people used to do that? They're very happy, life's normal tribulations notwithstanding. I'm not too concerned with my situation given my income once I arrive. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I wonder what I'll read there next...  

Bob, one thing you will read there, is something I have said all along, " We, are own own worst enemies" Throughout this Topic, it has shown that it can be done on the 800$ we have discussed time and time again and look at all the kids and things written about. It is only when we (The Foreigner) put in our preferences, that the 20.000 php per months begins to look a silly figure.

Before a Foreigner arrives in the family, we see the amount that is being earned and spent, seems adequate  and in the main, gives a good ( well comfortable life to most) life. Then we come along and all of a sudden, we need more. 

:tiphat:

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I wonder what I'll read there next...

Bob, one thing you will read there, is something I have said all along, " We, are own own worst enemies" Throughout this Topic, it has shown that it can be done on the 800$ we have discussed time and time again and look at all the kids and things written about. It is only when we (The Foreigner) put in our preferences, that the 20.000 php per months begins to look a silly figure.

Before a Foreigner arrives in the family, we see the amount that is being earned and spent, seems adequate and in the main, gives a good ( well comfortable life to most) life. Then we come along and all of a sudden, we need more.

:tiphat:

Oh. I agree with you, Jack! I have always said that my monthly budget will be P40k... This is the amount I have lived on in Canada ($1000) for years. My Special Someone was hoping her mom could finally retire with her help once she started working... If she wants to give mom her entire pay, I don't mind. I wasn't expecting Av to be putting her wages in for us to use and she can do anything she thinks best with her pay so why not? Mom lived for years paying for rent and for food plus any normal expenses plus Av's tuition and also supporting a granddaughter part time - and all on less than the P14000 a month she'll be getting to retire with. Who says there is no retirement fund in the Philippines? He he!

:)

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think Jack you're right - it's how to keep it in perspective and how to make it clear we're not walking ATMs that is the trick.  It's about how comfortable we are providing a level of support  to others and how we go about saying no :)

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

BradClark
Posted
Posted

I was pretty dubious on those stats as well. All countries love to use averages as mentioned above, which when you look at the figures, it's very screwy. If you're married, have kids & don't have to support half the village you should be able to live on 1k usd per month and have some saved for that rainy day when an emergency happens. Unless you need to live a richy rich "hi, I live in an ivory tower" lifestyle.

• Like 4