Beginning My New Life There In 2 Months

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Home is not a place, it's people. I believe it was Samuel Clemens who said "home is the place that when you have to go there, they have to take you in". :)

Well a country where 99% of the people tell you to "go back to your country" when you try to help them is obviously NOT home then.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

SubicSteve, that might be the problem, I'm not trying to help them. It's their country and like my neighbors house, they can screw it up however they like.

I never had anyone in the Philippines tell me to go back to my own country, yet I have had several people in the US tell me to go to hell, so let me ask, who is nicer the Filipino telling you to go to the US or the US people who say to go to hell?

I did hear a few calls of Hey Joe! I don't blame them for being confused, we all look alike to them. :)

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I too was starting to focus on a lot of the negatives. But that leads me down a self destructive and bitter path. So I started to focus on the positives and preparing for the negatives that I have no control over (too many to list). 

The best way to fight it is to get yourself involved in things that you have control over. Hobbies, friends and family. If you surround yourself with negatives it gets you jaded pretty quick. I cannot stand the crowded areas of most municipalities (stupid traffic, road encroachment, enforcers, etc.). That is why I chose the Freeport. I view it as having a buffer from that and that way I can deal with the local stuff in smaller doses. Yes the Freeport is a little pricey at times, but it's still cheaper than living in the States for me.

• Like 4

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Welcome Norman & Vina Marie!  I've been here just five months, but if I could give you some friendly advice, it would be to bring a clear, open mind and the biggest dose of patience you can muster-up.  Shortly after my arrival, I started keeping two lists, one being "Things that I love about living in the PI", and the second "Things that I dislike about living in the PI".  Well, it didn't take me long to realize that the second list really needed to be changed to read "Things that I will have to get used to living in the PI".  Gaining new perspective and patience has helped tremendously, and consequently, my first list is much longer than the second one at this point since my move over here. 

Yes, you will have some incredibly frustrating days involving the most seemingly simple tasks and issues, but it will be up to you whether or not they become "bad" days.  Don't expect the same efficiencies of the infrastructures, technologies and processes we enjoy in the USA, such as banking, billing/payments, some telecoms, medical, municipal, government and postal services, etc. - thus avoiding, or at least mitigating, your frustrations.  Besides, as someone stated previously, these are things that are out of our control.

Last, as others have also suggested, surround yourself with positive people and get involved in activities you enjoy, it will likely pay dividends, perhaps in the form of assistance from friends who might "know the system" or have a contact that can help you.  Probably too much from this newbie, but that's what's working for me, and in large part, my happiness here.  Good luck and best wishes.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted
my first list is much longer than the second one at this point since my move over here. 

I would love to see your lists a couple years from now.

• Like 2

Jeff R
Posted
Posted

Holy crap guys!!! I have been reading this forum for months trying to gain a realistic insight about living in the Phils. I know in my heart that the vast majority of the forum members are being very honest and helpful. I appreciate you telling like it really is. I am not coming over with rose colored glasses. I don't expect it to be like a vacation from a travel brochure. But damn, I never read so much negativity and it doesn't feel good. Some of you on this thread have given me and others a lot of good advice and info. Now I am reading from the same members about how much they want to leave. Maybe I will feel the same after a while. Maybe I will feel like some who have lived here a long time and are extremely happy and regret not making the move sooner. Either way I will always appreciate your willingness to provide and share your experiences. Thank you.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

The biggest problems are the ones you didn't see coming. Also, when most people complain, it means they have not given up yet, because if they had they would pack their bags and leave. It's when the native drums go quiet that the action starts. :)

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Well tomorrow is my one year anniversary.  And like Snafu said there are things you just have to get used to.  Most of it is not a problem.  I am not working so I got nothing to do all day - so Filipino time is not such a big deal (usually). 

I have always enjoyed travel and getting into new cultures.  And I am always at home, no matter where I am.  That helps my attitude a lot.

The only real problem I have is the music.  I have particularly bad neighbors.  I have had 3 good nights sleep since New Years.  Six weeks!  One of my neighbors, in the next barangay, seems to have gotten new speakers and plays "music" all night... every night... (except 3 for some reason). Some nights they don't even turn it on until 11 PM but it stays on until 6 AM. 

For the most part music, roosters, dog barking... these are just things you have to get used to.  I want to move closer to the city, it is quieter than out here.  Houses/apartments are smaller and more expensive.  So people don't have as much spare money for parties - and more people work - so they sleep.   Quietest place I slept since I got her was in Manila.  Horrid place during the day - but so nice and quiet at night.    :tiphat:

• Like 3