Another New Experience

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well of I go to SM Mall for a hot date with a certain young lady (26 her, me 63 yes yes I know, heard all the jokes) mind you on her insistance, time of date 4pm (me) but then I forget filipino time, that is any time close to 4pm , certain young miss arrives 4-55, I was just writing the text to her to say don't bother, an hour late is enough for any man, especially a foreigner, also can some please tell me why they bother to wear watches here, do they actually use them or are they just some fashion accessory. Well sitting there like a shag on a rock, when this absolutely beautiful young miss turns up with the cutest smile, sorry sir jeepney got stuck in traffic, well what could I say as I drag my tongue off the pavement " would you like a coffee I blabbed like some pimply faced 12 yo. Well after a pizza ( good Pizza Hut at SM but sorry sir cannot have supreme no stock ,wtf, hahahahaa) and a chat we parted company, stuck her in a taxi home and I climbed into mine for the Mactan 500 home. I don't know where this taxi drivers learn to drive but this guy was a complete maniac, manual box 1st to 4th no problems maybe 2nd gear and 3rd were not working, so as we weaved and caressed our way home avoiding all and sundry I decided to glue myself to my cell phone and send texts, I thought that would be safer. No beer at home and I was hanging out for a drop, as we came into my street, lane, alleyway, whatever they call it here, I see the local sari- sari open, stop I say and pay off the nut job driver( 174pesos geez what a joke for a half hour trip) get my beer,pay for and as I walk out  the power junction box goes off like someone shot a bloody big shell into it, I hit the dirt thinking it's a hit on someone, (hope not me I wasn't rude to that girl) goes dark, lights on again, me on the ground covered in whatever and the locals pointing at me pissing themselves laughing,it was a long walk home, but the sml was cold. More fun in the phils, crazy but my kind of crazy.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

Well of I go to SM Mall for a hot date with a certain young lady (26 her, me 63 yes yes I know, heard all the jokes) mind you on her insistance, time of date 4pm (me) but then I forget filipino time, that is any time close to 4pm , certain young miss arrives 4-55, I was just writing the text to her to say don't bother, an hour late is enough for any man, especially a foreigner, also can some please tell me why they bother to wear watches here, do they actually use them or are they just some fashion accessory. Well sitting there like a shag on a rock, when this absolutely beautiful young miss turns up with the cutest smile, sorry sir jeepney got stuck in traffic, well what could I say as I drag my tongue off the pavement " would you like a coffee I blabbed like some pimply faced 12 yo. Well after a pizza ( good Pizza Hut at SM but sorry sir cannot have supreme no stock ,wtf, hahahahaa) and a chat we parted company, stuck her in a taxi home and I climbed into mine for the Mactan 500 home. I don't know where this taxi drivers learn to drive but this guy was a complete maniac, manual box 1st to 4th no problems maybe 2nd gear and 3rd were not working, so as we weaved and caressed our way home avoiding all and sundry I decided to glue myself to my cell phone and send texts, I thought that would be safer. No beer at home and I was hanging out for a drop, as we came into my street, lane, alleyway, whatever they call it here, I see the local sari- sari open, stop I say and pay off the nut job driver( 174pesos geez what a joke for a half hour trip) get my beer,pay for and as I walk out  the power junction box goes off like someone shot a bloody big shell into it, I hit the dirt thinking it's a hit on someone, (hope not me I wasn't rude to that girl) goes dark, lights on again, me on the ground covered in whatever and the locals pointing at me pissing themselves laughing,it was a long walk home, but the sml was cold. More fun in the phils, crazy but my kind of crazy.

I believe you guessed the fashion accessory correctly. I have been living in the Philippines for 4 years now and have never seen a Filipino use their watch to determine if they are early or late for anything. If you would have looked closely at her watch you may have discovered that the correct time was not set on her watch. Most do not set the time because the correct time means almost nothing to them. She knew it was about 4 or 5 so that was good enough for her.

Shortly after I moved to the Philippines I discovered that most Filipinos do not have the time set on their watch so I got into the habit of looking at their watches. Its not just the women who don't set their watches men don't either. Another thing I discovered is that many of them cannot tell what time it is on a watch or clock that has hands. They are use to digital time. Its more likely that the time was set on her cell phone but I have met some who don't set the time or date on it either.

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Well funny thing when I looked at her watch and asked her the time she said it wasn't working but looked good :1 (103):

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sounds like you had a good date but a little bit of a scary time getting back home, which is common in the Philippines, especially if you travel at night which I rarely do. Are you planning to see her again?

So I was correct about her watch. I have been telling people this for years but I don't know if they believe me.

If you say, I will fix your watch for you, I bet you will find out that there's nothing wrong with her watch.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I did bring up the age thing and to tell you the truth it doesnt sit good with me, but she really is a lovely girl and seems happy with the idea although I have my misgivings, but I said it's up to her and yes I know it is completely stupid thing to say to a filipina. As for the night travel, I never go out alone after dark and always travel in taxi's, never had a problem.

It's her b/day soon and how come they all seem to have b/day's just after you meet them, I said I would buy her a new watch, she said a new iphone would be better hahahahahhahaha

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

Her not minding the age difference wouldn't surprise me because that's the general way of thinking for Filipinos but her birthday being soon and especially her suggesting you buy her an iphone would make me suspicious of her intentions mostly because iphones cost between P20,000 - P24,000. which is a lot of money to spend on someone you just met. My question would be, is she looking for a sugar daddy or a husband?

• Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I really think it was said in jest, she works in the family restaurant 6 days a week, complained when we went for Pizza said she wasn't hungry and this from a filipina, if one thing you long term expats on here have taught me, is read between the lines, early days yet, long way to go and as I have read so many times, just go slow, but thanks for your concern.

Her b'day not till september so by then, who knows, and I would only buy her a watch anyway, digital of course hahahahhaha

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

I'm happy for you and I wish you the best. Please keep us up to date on your New Experiences. I enjoy reading them.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

My wife wants me to tell you that one way to know if a woman is really interested in you or just your money is to buy her a gift on at least 2 different occasions. The gift can be something like a watch, any kind of jewelry or anything you think she may like. The important thing is to buy the cheapest one you can find. Be sure to watch her reaction when you give it to her. If she is really interested in you then the cost of her gift shouldn't matter. After you give her one or two cheap gifts she will loose interest in you if she is just after your money.

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Shortly after I moved to the Philippines I discovered that most Filipinos do not have the time set on their watch so I got into the habit of looking at their watches.

Damn you Americano!  I'll now be looking at watches to the point of OCD!

Keep posting your experiences Frosty, really enjoying those you've written on so far!

SAO (Short Angry One) - she reads these forums too - says much the same as Americano's wife:  Buy her some cheap stuff, check the reaction.  She also said to tell you that the age difference doesn't matter so much in PI; it's reasonably common even amongst Filipino marriages.  There's 15 years between SAO and I; here we get some odd looks, in PI no one bats an eyelid. 

Life is more fun in the Philippines!

• Like 2