S & R Prices

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I joined S & R yesterday and compared some prices after I got home.  The only easy way I could compare to US prices is to use Amazon.com.  Those prices, in most cases, are probably higher than you could find at a local discount grocery, but this is what I had to use.

I am pleasantly surprised that the S & R prices are reasonable.  We have to driver over an hour to get there, so the pricing is important to us.

Exchange rate used: 44.60

Folgers Classic Roast Coffee 48 Oz

S&R p899.95 / $20.18

Amazon $20.00 with Prime Free Shipping

Others were cheaper but with high shipping costs, totals were more.

Act II Butter Lovers Popcorn 28 bags 2.75 oz

S&R p599.95 / $13.45

Amazon $15.75 with Prime Free Shipping

Others were cheaper but with high shipping costs, totals were more.

Woolite Complete Liquid Laundry Soap

S&R p999.95 / $22.42

Amazon (Connect Buy) $24.58

$19.63 + 4.95 shipping

1 Gallon California Sunshine Fresh Whole Milk from California

p329

Dated March 4th, they had 1/2 gallons dated March 9th for p200 each

We are paying p75 a liter for fresh milk deliveries in Subic but the California milk tastes creamier

New Zealand Ground Beef 88%

p279 kilo

Fresh, I think, packaged in the morning.  I grilled some burgers with it last night and they were not very tasty.  I will see if I can find a better cut for burgers next time.

Bounty Fresh Skinless Chicken Breast Tenders

p189.95 kilo

Frozen / thawed

Edit to add honorable mention:

They had some nice quality 300 count sateen sheets for buy one get one free, so 2 sets of queen was p2199.  Including deep fitted bottom sheet, flat sheet and 2 standard pillow cases.  That is a good deal compared to trying to get that quality at SM, etc.  They also had another brand of 300 count sateen for just a bit more, about p2500 for 2 sets.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Regarding the price for coffee, I prefer the local dark roasted Benguet beans. I can get them at SM for 100 pesos per pound, 300 pesos for 48 oz.

SM will grind them for you. In my case I have a coffee grinder so I just buy the beans.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

How about cornflakes .... any price on those .... just curious ..... :thumbsup: :hystery:

:cheersty:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

How about cornflakes .... any price on those .... just curious ..... :thumbsup: :hystery:

If he does not have the prices then I know a guy who will have.  :)

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

They certainly have them but I am more of a Raisin Bran kind of guy!  :)

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would try to buy meat for burgers with more fat. Then too it might be straight up grass fed beef that is extremely healthy for red meat but not as tastey, You could try brushing on some butter and it might help a little. You could also try mixing 1 pound ground beef with 12 oz to 1 pound Jimmy dean or Owens family ground breakfast sausage. We mix meats like that and cook them on a George Foreman grill and they come out great, grilling with fire and smoke should make them even better. If the hamburger is tasteless, the fat and spices from the breakfast sausage could not but help. It's worth a try anyway. :) My spare tire is barely under control, I suppose the best cooking advice would come from a fat man who cooks, but this is the best I got that's relevant. :)

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I made some more burgers last night and this time I mixed in some Famous Dave's steak and hamburger spice, and they were better.  I definitely will try to find a fattier cut next time.  I had not bought ground beef in at least 18 months so I was not really paying attention when I bought the 88.  I will see what they have next time.

They had some fresh ground Aussie beef but it was expensive, so I did not look at it closely.  The USDA from the US was all frozen, I believe, but I will take a closer look next time,

That is a good idea about the sausage, and I bought some Hormel breakfast sausage links (p119.95) and Johnsonville breaksfast sausage (p269.95).  Also Hormel Black Label bacon for p249.95  :dance:   They have the bacon at Royal near my house for about the same price.

I wish I could get grass fed but I how would I know?  I would think they would promote it on the label if it were grass fed.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Grass fed really is vastly superior to a standard beef - and I think beats corn fed too. This is because the cow isn't ingesting a bunch of hormones or genetically modified corn. Just plain grass like in the old days of pre-science. And, yes, it is very lean. So you want to add a little far to it. But instead of paying more for brand name sausages, why not just add in a bit of ground pork?

Note: if you can do it, have somebody grab a meat grinder for you at a flea market or yard sale and send it to you in a BB Box. I've been told the Filipino version isn't as good as the old fashioned solid metal ones here in Canada (OK, and the US... hehe!). :)

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

Edited by I am bob

• 3 weeks later...
medasman
Posted
Posted

I will be moving to cebu in the next 2 months how do you join S&R 

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I will be moving to cebu in the next 2 months how do you join S&R 

Walk in with a basic ID like a DL, fill out an application and hand over p700. I think an additional card is 400 as I recall. I'm not sure if that's an annual fee or 1 time. I joined a couple months ago but will probably not go back. I was underwhelmed and the traffic situation with the road closing is horrendous in that area. I'll take Rustan's any day. 

• Like 1