S & R Prices

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I just don't understand peoples fascination for Rustans. Ayala metro has a far bigger supply of western foods than Rustans, at least as far as I can see. Why do people always mention that instead of AM? I have gone to Rustans at least ten times hoping to find anything at all that I couldn't find elsewhere, but I have never bought anything there.

And S&R is the only place in Cebu to find ice cream. And before you start yelling, the first ingredient in ice cream should be cream, not oil, not water like local "ice cream". S&R has items from the west that you can't find anywhere else. Sure those items are more expensive than in the west, but what is important is that you can buy them at all.

Well. It don't need to be like that just because it's like that in your home country  :)

In Sweden we have different types of icecream (soft, ice, cream (and sorbet if counting that too).)

Actualy nowadays it's EASY to make even cream ice cream yourself. (Almost as easy as ice type of icecream, which I made myself sometimes as small kid.) There are rather cheap equipment made for home use, just add the ingrediences and the "mashine" do the rest. 

Here in PI, just because you buy in bulk doesn't necessarily mean its cheaper, at whatever place you are shopping.
Yes. When it's big packages, while it's chance to get discount from some sellers if buy several SMALL packages. I guess it's often bad price at big packages, because bad flow of them, because few buy them  :)

(I haven't bother to buy one as long as I live in Sweden, but I plan to buy one when I move.)

jpbago
Posted
Posted
If you see an item being sold in bulk, do the calculations.

In Canada, the unit price per 100 grams is printed on the shelf along with the total price so it is very easy to compare if the large one is less than the small one per 100 grams or if 2 small ones is less price. Here you are lucky to even see an accurate price.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I am aware that you may not get something for less just because you buy in bulk, I also mentioned buying in bulk as a hedge against availability. Other expats hoard and I will too. :)

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Other expats hoard and I will too.

Guilty also. I'm the one who cleaned out the shelf of Listerine Original the last time every store I checked in Cebu ran out. Some things ya gotta have.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
RBM
Posted
Posted

SM Hypermart is another good choice. It's huge and has an attached Ace Hardware. Service is great because there's not many customers. Not sure why, I guess you need a car. Rustan's is an upscale supermarket in Ayala and Banilad, probably other locations but those are the 2 I know.

Agree totally, I hate supermarkets and the.....do you have 2 pesos sir. But actually enjoyed this one, never seen it crowded, very relaxed and easy parking. Bonus is it's close S&R, we always shopped there when I lived Cebu.

jon1
Posted
Posted

Other expats hoard and I will too.

Guilty also. I'm the one who cleaned out the shelf of Listerine Original the last time every store I checked in Cebu ran out. Some things ya gotta have.

I am the same way. I tend to buy in large quantities (minimum of 3 months supply or what they can last for) on items that seem to come and go. This crap going on in the Port of Manila is really starting to affect item availability. I have to use some self control whenever I go to the S&R and buy what's on the list only.