A Favorite Airline?

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone. I am new here. I was just hoping to get some feedback on airlines. If there  is something already here please let me know and I will go check  I am coming to Philippines for the first time in April. I have spent the last day just reading and checking out the airlines. Everything from Philippines Airlines ( which most seem to say stay away from) to Cathay Pacific. (Mixed reviews) Of course price is very important to me BUT SO IS COMFORT. Terrible reviews for seats on ANA AND CATHAY. I am 5'11 about 230 with back issues. So I need some legroom and the ability to least get up and stretch and walk. Any favorite airline economy experience?

Thanks.

Izzy. 

Hewy09
Posted
Posted

My experience so far has been china air and Korean air. Of the 2 I enjoyed Korean air with a layover in Korea. Ticket was well priced at just under $1000 cdn from Vancouver BC. Had a 14 hour layover but Korean air had great facilities at the airport, such as showers,lounge chairs, free wifi. And I was able to take a tour directly through Korean air to see around soul for 4 hours cost only $80 cdn. The food on the flight was good and I was starving so I asked for a second and no problem. The seats were comfortable too. Now I do get emergency exit seats every flight.

China air was more expensive and same seats but I did not enjoy my 9 hrs in Beijing.

Hope I'm of some help.

Sent from my iPhone. buhay ay mahusay na! magsaya.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Have never flown PAL for the long flight, just to many scare stories. Have used most of the rest over the years. ANA, JAL, Cathay and a couple of others. Our favorite and the one we use if at all possible is Korean Airlines. Great service, good food, decent entertainment choices and Inchon airport is a pleasure to visit during the layover waiting the last leg of the flight. Prices are competitive, naturally the earlier you book, the cheaper the fare. Good luck

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Singapore Airlines would be my favourite, comfortable seats, good service and Changi Airport is the best in the world for free facilities to keep you occupied whilst on long layovers.  Downside is they only fly to Manila twice a day so the long layover is almost inevitable unless you time it just right.  They're also a little expensive, but they're one of those AAA airlines and worth the cost if you're feeling affluent.  When I'm on a budget I tend to use Tiger Air, still comfortable and have the advantage of flying to Cebu, Clark, Boracay or  Manila from Singapore but it is a budget airline and I'm not sure they're an option from the US.  Correct about Cathay Pacific, most uncomfortable seats I've ever encountered but their service is probably the best I've ever had and given your back problems, it's probably best to avoid them. 

Edited by BrettGC

robert k
Posted
Posted

This is a your milage may vary thing. I enjoyed China air, the food was edible and there was plenty of it, the planes were spic and span compared to American Airlines planes, I always had aisle and bathroom bulkhead seats, short layover in Taipei. Frankly I don't get on flights that have 9, 11 or 14 hour layovers. I don't really care about airport facilities because I'm not staying to enjoy them. I can usually find a 20 to 22 hour departure to destination flights for no more than $50 more than the 28 to 30 or more hour trips. I actually slept on my China air flights. I'm surprised they didn't make me ride on the wing because I snore, loud enough that my fiancee made it her ringtone. :mocking:

Izzy, I'm 5' 10" 220 pounds with back problems. For me it's a twere best done quickly thing when I fly. The 13 hour leg of my flight is too long for comfort in any seat. Maybe a Chiropractic adjustment before and after the flight would help.

I have a friend who swears by JAL, he developed Pneumonia in flight from Dallas to Japan and they took very good care of him, real personal service, tells me the food was gormet too.

It does not take much for a trip to go bad. Taipei airport is boring, but if you are not going to be there long, bring something to read it doesn't matter, bring some peanut butter crackers if you're hypoglycemic. I don't know what Hewy09 encountered in Beijing, but I doubt anyone held a gun to his head and made him choose the flight with a layover there. I wonder if Hewy09 had a bad flight or if the layover of the flight he chose was bad? I don't want to see ANY airport in a communist country. :)

i am bob
Posted
Posted

China Air has been improving their presentation services which is a good thing... If you ever check their technical records, you would run away very quickly. My favorite was when they had an aircraft sitting at a gate with one of the nose wheel tires slowly going flat. Their solution? The nose wheel assembly had 2 tires so they wanted to just take one off and send it flying!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I only flew through China once to get a connecting flight. I had to get my checked baggage and go through customs, then check my baggage back in before my next flight. I had less than 2 hours between flights. What a PITA. I have never reserved any flights since then that have a plane change in China.

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Every one here will have their own opinion.  I stick with Delta/Singapore Airlines and Cathay(EXTREMELY experienced pilots).  I wouldn't take Korean airlines or ANY of their subsidiaries if you gave me a free ticket. 

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)

I only flew through China once to get a connecting flight. I had to get my checked baggage and go through customs, then check my baggage back in before my next flight. I had less than 2 hours between flights. What a PITA. I have never reserved any flights since then that have a plane change in China.

Beijing has the most delays because the military has priority over airspace. And then there is the smog. If you fly lots, PAL has a good free air mile plan where after 5 return flights from Vancouver to Manila, the 6th one is free. That is the only good thing about PAL. If you get the double decker Cathay Pacific, then the seats are quite good but their other planes are about the same for seats. I don't like layovers more than 3 hours so that limits my choices.

I don't mean to be pushing PAL, but they have 2 other advantages. If you are continuing on domestic, then you don't have to change terminals as PAL uses T2 for both international and domestic. Also, you can check your luggage straight through to your final destination thus avoiding domestic baggage overcharges.

Edited by jpbago
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I love Korean Air!  The service and food are very good.  Onboard entertainment is great. They have the TV's in the seatbacks and tons of viewing options. And for long layovers you would be hard pressed to beat Seoul.  Best airport in the world. (OK, I have not been to Singapore's Changi Airport)  But Incheon (Seoul) is currently rated #2 in the world.  And some super cute stewardesses!  :tiphat:

I had a problem with PAL a couple years back.  My flight from Cebu to Manila was delayed and it looked like I might miss my connecting flight (Korean Air to Seoul).   So PAL put me in business class right next to the door so I could be first off the plane - I thought that was pretty cool.  When we got to Manila as I stepped off the plane there was a guy holding  a sign with my name on it.  He says we had to rush and he run get me through to the international terminal quickly (45 minutes until my Korean Air flight is due to leave).  As we are rushing over, he gets my bags and won't let me carry them.  Then we are met by his manager who says they contacted K Air and they already gave my seat to someone else.   Not cool.  The manager says they are getting me on a PAL flight to Seoul that would get me there in time to get my connecting flight to DFW.  Along the way a ticket agent joins us.  She says they got me a flight but did not know if I wanted a window or aisle seat - so they gave me the whole row.  Pretty cool.  When we get to the international terminal we go around all security to get inside.  No metal detector, no bag scan, nothing.  Pretty cool.  Short story long, The PAL flight from Manila to Seoul was fine, and I was back on schedule and got my connecting flight to Dallas.

I have had delayed flights from numerous US carriers and NEVER got that kind of service to keep me on schedule.  So PAL gets high marks from me for service.  Especially in a country (and an industry) known for poor customer service.

But for long flights, for the comfort and service I choose Korean Air anytime I can get it.

• Like 2