A Favorite Airline?

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

Singapore Airlines would be my favourite, comfortable seats, good service and Changi Airport is the best in the world for free facilities to keep you occupied whilst on long layovers.  Downside is they only fly to Manila twice a day so the long layover is almost inevitable unless you time it just right.  They're also a little expensive, but they're one of those AAA airlines and worth the cost if you're feeling affluent.  When I'm on a budget I tend to use Tiger Air, still comfortable and have the advantage of flying to Cebu, Clark, Boracay or  Manila from Singapore but it is a budget airline and I'm not sure they're an option from the US.  Correct about Cathay Pacific, most uncomfortable seats I've ever encountered but their service is probably the best I've ever had and given your back problems, it's probably best to avoid them. 

Brett have you ever tried FlyScoot out of Coolangatta?

Admittedly they only fly to Singapore and not Phils, but you can source a cheap flight from Singapore thru CebuPacific ... I used this method on my last trip.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Look for some great deals on Malaysian Airlines but you'll have to grab them quick as they disappear fast.

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Brett, thx for the info. Now I'm ?????? Terrified of my upcoming KAL flight home. I do remember that on the flight here however it was an American pilot who was flying the plane and for a few seconds I actually felt some relief. 

Perhaps he was fired from other airlines for being drunk?  :)

Just joking about THAT one,

BUT at least earlier several pilots in RUSSIAN planes fly drunk!!! :bash:   (According to a TV documentary.)

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Singapore Airlines would be my favourite, comfortable seats, good service and Changi Airport is the best in the world for free facilities to keep you occupied whilst on long layovers.  Downside is they only fly to Manila twice a day so the long layover is almost inevitable unless you time it just right.  They're also a little expensive, but they're one of those AAA airlines and worth the cost if you're feeling affluent.  When I'm on a budget I tend to use Tiger Air, still comfortable and have the advantage of flying to Cebu, Clark, Boracay or  Manila from Singapore but it is a budget airline and I'm not sure they're an option from the US.  Correct about Cathay Pacific, most uncomfortable seats I've ever encountered but their service is probably the best I've ever had and given your back problems, it's probably best to avoid them. 

Admittedly they only fly to Singapore and not Phils, but you can source a cheap flight from Singapore thru CebuPacific ... I used this method on my last trip.

Nice mate, I'll check 'em out :)

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I have liked Cathay Pacific for 8+ years. Over time I have seen them change. They now have different classes of Economy. Regular economy and Premium. In the early years I was able to select emergency exit seats. Now they charge $100 per seat extra if it is available. Premium economy passengers get first dibs. Prices have gone up quit a bit. We always go out San Francisco.

We always fly into Hong Kong then catch Cebu Pacific to Terminal 3 Manila. Going in and out of Terminal 3 is pretty good on the airline side. Getting  taxi out is another experience.

Cebu Pacific has always treated us great. You deal with the usual lines getting fatter than longer. We have always patiently waited our turn. There have been a few times where we patiently waited as the time to board ticked down. We have had staff rush us through security to catch the plane in Hong Kong and Philippines. Pays to be nice and courteous.

One word of advice when dealing with ticket purchases on Cebu Pacific. If you use a VISA credit card that uses the "Verified by VISA" system, chances are it will be declined if you try to purchase out of your home country. It sucks when you want to buy a ticket on the fly and your card is declined even when you tell the card company in advance what you are purchasing.

Wife worked in Hong Kong for 12 years so we like to spend a few days roaming around Hong Kong.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Damn mate, just checked out that option, about 30% cheaper than my previous best and I don't have to pay for long-term parking - quick cab ride for me.  Nothing wrong with an over-nighter in Singapore - Look out Orchard Towers!!  Damn I hope SAO doesn't read this.. Yes she's lived in Singapore and knows..... :1 (103):

• Like 2

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

Thought you might like that ... I think I had a 6 or 7 hour stopover on the way over and 4 hours on the way home last trip.

Might use your backyard for my parking next time!!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure:  whilst It is Tragic, about the missing Plane and I don't want to appear too Flippant about the fact but as a small humorous addition, to this topic, Why not try " Malaysian Airways" seems, they are offering, " Mystery Tours" on scheduled Flights, just now! :rolleyes:

:tiphat:

• Like 3