A Favorite Airline?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone. I am new here. I was just hoping to get some feedback on airlines. If there  is something already here please let me know and I will go check  I am coming to Philippines for the first time in April. I have spent the last day just reading and checking out the airlines. Everything from Philippines Airlines ( which most seem to say stay away from) to Cathay Pacific. (Mixed reviews) Of course price is very important to me BUT SO IS COMFORT. Terrible reviews for seats on ANA AND CATHAY. I am 5'11 about 230 with back issues. So I need some legroom and the ability to least get up and stretch and walk. Any favorite airline economy experience?

Thanks.

Izzy. 

A good question for you is what airlines choices do you have from your departure point? 

Hewy09
Posted
Posted (edited)

""I don't know what Hewy09 encountered in Beijing, but I doubt anyone held a gun to his head and made him choose the flight with a layover there. I wonder if Hewy09 had a bad flight or if the layover of the flight he chose was bad? I don't want to see ANY airport in a communist country.""

Your correct no one pointed a gun at my head and made me choose the flight to Beijing! I chose it because I like to experience different things. Also wanted to get a Chinese stamp in my passport lol. All jokes aside the only problems I had were that I could not find anyone to help me that remotely spoke English and nothing really was open as I arrived late at night and was leaving early the next day. I did get poked a few times by a rifle but they were just checking if I was alive and ok as I slept on the floor.

I am very adventurous and I have been in many awkward situations ( some what scary and dangerous ) but they are totally off topic here.

Sent from my iPhone. buhay ay mahusay na! magsaya.

Edited by Hewy09
  • Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

My Favs in order

Korean because they are not cheap with drinks or anything you ask for plus inchon is a great stop over 

Cathy because food is good and pretty good layover times 

Delta decent service

Ones I hate  

Air Canada because the service sucks its like the attendants have to pay for the drinks out of their  pocket 

Philippine air  need I say more 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Well despite the best advice in this thread, next time I'm going with PAL.  Never flown them before and they have the cheapest return flights by far on the dates I'm flying from Brisbane in May.  I have little doubt what the experience will be like but hey, who knows, I may be pleasantly surprised  :hystery:

Sometimes my optimism is annoying but it gets me by :dance:

• Like 2

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

Every one here will have their own opinion.  I stick with Delta/Singapore Airlines and Cathay(EXTREMELY experienced pilots).  I wouldn't take Korean airlines or ANY of their subsidiaries if you gave me a free ticket. 

Wow. I have truly appreicated all of the replies. But I must say I was MOST intrigued by yours Steve. I would have to say that the majority folks here and just in my research favor Korean Air and it is one that I am considering. Saw a few thing on youtube and looks ok. I REALLY want to go CX but I am really scared about all that I have heard about the damn seats!!!! lol. But PLEASE tell me why if I walked up to YOU with and gave you a FREE TICKET on Korean Air you would NOT take it, my friend? Let me in on what I amay be missing.

:-)

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

Hey fellas thanks a lot for all the feedback. I really want to get my ticket today. Let me just add two other questions to the mix that I think will be simple to answer for you guys.

I am in Las Vegas. Nothing leaves out of here but Korean going to Cebu, which is fine because that is where I am headed. Now as many of you know Los Angeles is a quick 4 hour spin down the road from me. I just got back from LA on Friday. The drive is nothing and of course just about ALL the carriers fly out of there. Now, I am going to Cebu but I have seen several tickets where I can save almost 3-400 dollars by going into Manila. (Where everyone and their Mom, tells me to STAY FAR FROM IF POSSIBLE) But man, the idea of saving that money going into Manila and getting a little flight over to Cebu for about $65 is really tempting. Has anyone done that before? Is Ninoy Aquina THAT bad for a first timer like me? I mean if you think the extra money is WORTH NOT having the hassle then no problemo, I will do it........but I still wonder? :-/

Uhhhh, I forgot my second question. HA! But thanks guys in advance. Oh..........maybe I will pal around and here and see what I find. I am coming for 30 days and I would really rather find some monthly deal instaed of hotel or resort, so I am checking those options....if there are there. If you know of something f course I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

Man, ONE LAST THING; I really think I would rather buy ticket directly from airline and yet the Kayaks, Expedias, Cheapoticket, and those Priceline guys seem to offer a few good deals too. Does it matter? Just curious even though I am pretty much thinking I will buy directly from airline.

Ok I'm done. I have done lots of research the last year on all the other stuff about being and posiibly living there and of course I am coming to see and meet someone I THINK is special. That's for another topic I am sure. Thanks guys and gals if any.

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone. I am new here. I was just hoping to get some feedback on airlines. If there  is something already here please let me know and I will go check  I am coming to Philippines for the first time in April. I have spent the last day just reading and checking out the airlines. Everything from Philippines Airlines ( which most seem to say stay away from) to Cathay Pacific. (Mixed reviews) Of course price is very important to me BUT SO IS COMFORT. Terrible reviews for seats on ANA AND CATHAY. I am 5'11 about 230 with back issues. So I need some legroom and the ability to least get up and stretch and walk. Any favorite airline economy experience?

Thanks.

Izzy. 

A good question for you is what airlines choices do you have from your departure point? 

I am in Las Vegas with east access to LAX by car and so all that I mentioned are available to me and several others as well. You may know something I don't, so if you do then thanks in advance for sharing.

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

Thanks again ALL. I just got my ticket for mid April to Cebu. So excited. Went with airlines I forgot to mention; Duh. Asiana Airlines. Had a lot of great feedback on them as well as the plane and could not pass up a splendid (at least I thought so for me) deal. A few dollars over a grand from Las Vegas to Cebu. Leave here to San Francisco then on to Inchon International Airport (ICN), Inchon, South Korea, for a 3 hour layover arriving in Cebu  12:50 AM. I guess that is the time I look for the white taxi right? Or is it the yellow ones? Hmmm. I will go check. Will be there for 28 days so any info on interesting things to do is appreciated AND ANY info on great housing options where you can rent for a month would be great as well. I will go to Bacolod to meet a very special girl (yeah I know, I know, but I think she is the real deal) after chatting for a year now and will see other sights as well. Will spend about 5 days in Cebu on my own first before going to see her. I just turned 50 last week and this is an adventure I have been planning for awhile now. Very excited indeed.

:-) Ok I will stop before this post gets anymore sappy with happiness and great joy. Oh, oh.......to late. :-/

:-)

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I pretty much breezed through the airport in Manila, imigration messed up and gave me a 30 day stamp when I specifically said I wanted to extend on the spot, the imigration office fixed it right there. Customs refused to even look at my bags. The airport taxi wanted to charge me 2,000 piso [$46 then] to take me to my hotel so I just started walking dragging my luggage on wheels and another said he would take me for 1,000 piso which was still overcharging but by alot less. I could have dragged my bags 1/4 mile and got it done by meter for 500 piso or less, far less if it weren't for traffic that time of day. When I went to the airport for departure from the same hotel the fare was 265 piso in a regular aircon cab. You can get a hotel that is ok for a day/nights rest for $30 or less then you could catch a flight to Cebu [ pay for baggage overage when you book the ticket, it's cheaper] and arrive not looking like a corpse that just spent 20 plus hours in transit, or take ground transport, bus, ferry, v-hires and cabs but for $65 I would fly, unless you have time and want to catch some scenery.

Practical note, I never paid full fare on the ferries, the half fare is the same seat, pay as much as you like. The Super Cat, we all paid the same. I believe ferries make their money primarily from cargo, and the employees don't really care what you pay. The bench seats make it possible to sleep on the ferries, on your side anyway.

Maybe I won't breeze through next time, but I doubt it's something to be feared. I worry more about getting exit clearance when  leaving the first time I stay 6 months or more. :)

• Like 1