So, Since I Am Arriving In Cebu At Midnight What Should I........

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Question

Its been awhile since I flew into Cebu. The last time I was there no taxis were allowed in the international arrivals area. Someone would call a taxi up when needed. Has this changed? 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hey there everyone.

Well, I am a first time "arrive" in the Philippines on April 17th. I have read EVERYTHING about the Philippines the past year. I know I have visited at least 300 sites, blogs, youtube videos, you name it. Recently I started reading about safety and it seems there is a consensus that you should be very careful at night and some even suggests staying in at night.

So my question is; I arrive in Cebu April 17th at 11:50 PM. What should I do first? I know look for the white Taxi but I would guess that area is safe? I should go straight to hotel I would guess as well, right? I have NOT secured my lodging just yet. Working on so that this weekend. There are SO MANY places and the girl I am coming to meet is actually in Bacolod but I wanted some time to myself first for a few days. someone over at another blog (clears throat) suggested a place like Mercedes Hotel for a couple of nights if I just wanted to make sure I have a place until I can actually see where I wish to be. So any advice on safety coming in so late? Should I be concerned? Mercedes Hotel ok, in ok area? Any other suggestions about that? and one more thing is there some difference between Cebu and Cebu CITY? Why do I hear Cebu CITY is polluted and yet I constantly hear great things about "CEBU?" Seems confusing.

Thanks in advance guys..........and gals if any.

lifeasisrael.

:-)

Most hotels have a pick up service for a fee, that is one option. I would not be worried about arriving late as its not much difference than arriving at 8pm. In my opinion book a hotel in the city, depends on your budget as to which one.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Most hotels have a pick up service for a fee,

Sometimes they operate on fliipino time though

The last time I was there no taxis were allowed in the international arrivals area.

It was a couple years ago now that they instituted the Yellow Cabs for the international arrivals area.  All are flat rate which works out to about double the normal cab rates.  That is why some cheap folks walk across the street and up the stairs (although the guard is there to tell you not to do that but ignore him like everyone else does).  At the upstairs area you may find white cabs at the regular fare or you may find a line up of people waiting for the cheaper white cabs and no cabs available or, as in the middle of the night, you will find neither.  The white cabs drop people off and will pick up there.  If no one to drop off then no cabs available.  Best time to get the white cabs are early in the morning (5 am) when people are coming to the airport and the cabs are going to leave empty.

• Like 2

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've stayed at The Quest and highly recommend it. As others have said its a five minute walk to Ayala Mall which is exactly like any mall in the States. (Except everyone walks really slow...)

If I recall, The Quest does have a pickup service. Probably cost you around 500p. A white cab ride will run about 150p. As this is your first time and coming after a long flight and probably half way to zombie land, I'd advise getting the hotel to pick you up. At 500p vs 150p you're looking at $12 v $3.5 for a 20 to 30 minute ride to The Quest. It'll be worth the extra $8 for you peace of mind. (That said, I've never had any problem using the white cabs. But! For my first time I had the hotel collect me.)

Edited by northtoalaska
  • Like 4

Alby
Posted
Posted

I would 100% agree with northtoalaska's post!

The Quest hotel is good.

It only takes 1 second for bad things to happen! Better be safe than sorry!

gmb8585
Posted
Posted

The Yellow taxi's are not flat rate, they operate by the meter. They do however have a higher rate at the start and tick over at a higher rate. Demand that the taxi use the meter or faxce paying double the normal rate.  Regardless, at that time the nite you will pay no where near 500 to get anywhere in central cebu city like Ayalla area.  I take a yellow taxi to Lahug regularly late at nite for about 300.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Demand that the taxi use the meter or faxce paying double the normal rate.

You are a better negotiator than I.  I demanded that the taxi use the meter and the taxi demanded that I pay the flat rate posted on the wall outside the arrivals area.  He won.  495 pesos to Quest Hotel.  I did not quibble because I was tired at that time of night.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The first time I visited Cebu I was met at the airport by a highly motivated armed guard. Four foot ten 85lbs with an umbrella it was made clear right off she knew how to use it too.

She is now my wife and still constantly protecting me for "those other" Filipinas.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I believe there are 2 separate options at both Cebu City and Manila airports for arriving passengers - yellow taxi and fixed rate van. The yellows use meters, the others are fixed rate and are higher. Has that changed? 

frederic_BEPH
Posted
Posted

The Quest hotel is good.

If u are alone and u don't sleep too early, it is not bad... (traffic noise from the street can clearly be heard until 11pm if u are lucky - otherwise, u will be facing the new building construction - which at the end will give you the same timing as the management of Quest can't do 'anything' to stop them even they must stop at 9pm on their contract.

We stayed 1 month ( 3 weeks in appartment where the isolation is even worst than the rooms + 1 week in executive suite with direct view on the construction... So after 2 days we have moved to another side (pool view).

But yes location is very good if u don't have a car to move by yourself and if u want to visit Ayala every day :)