So, Since I Am Arriving In Cebu At Midnight What Should I........

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

Hey there everyone.

Well, I am a first time "arrive" in the Philippines on April 17th. I have read EVERYTHING about the Philippines the past year. I know I have visited at least 300 sites, blogs, youtube videos, you name it. Recently I started reading about safety and it seems there is a consensus that you should be very careful at night and some even suggests staying in at night.

So my question is; I arrive in Cebu April 17th at 11:50 PM. What should I do first? I know look for the white Taxi but I would guess that area is safe? I should go straight to hotel I would guess as well, right? I have NOT secured my lodging just yet. Working on so that this weekend. There are SO MANY places and the girl I am coming to meet is actually in Bacolod but I wanted some time to myself first for a few days. someone over at another blog (clears throat) suggested a place like Mercedes Hotel for a couple of nights if I just wanted to make sure I have a place until I can actually see where I wish to be. So any advice on safety coming in so late? Should I be concerned? Mercedes Hotel ok, in ok area? Any other suggestions about that? and one more thing is there some difference between Cebu and Cebu CITY? Why do I hear Cebu CITY is polluted and yet I constantly hear great things about "CEBU?" Seems confusing.

Thanks in advance guys..........and gals if any.

lifeasisrael.

:-)

I am arriving at 12:05 the night before - actually 12:05AM on the 16th, so 2 days before. Remember that by the time you go through immigration and get your bags and such it will be 1:00AM and you will be dead tired. So I stay at the Waterfront. Done this many times. You can walk there in a couple minutes, avoid the taxis and be in bed in 10 minutes. It's $70 on Agoda, meaning 80 when you add the taxes, but it's always worth it to me. Of course if you will be wanting a place for days you might bite the bullet and stay near Ayala. I am traveling with my wife and no way she wants to take a cab and be wandering the City after 24 hours in the air. In my experience the airport pick up services are fine and might be worth the extra pesos but every time I have used one I waited 15-20 minutes, which at 1:00 in the AM did not make me happy. One more reason to choose the Waterfront.

If you do this option, remember to book Waterfront Airport NOT Waterfront Cebu :)

Got it! Booking today. Will decide between Quest and Waterfront.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

One think this thread should teach you is that everybody gets a different experience here.  It is amazing to me that even taking a cab is a totally different experience for everyone, or so it would seem.

So now that you are comparing Waterfront, Mactan and Quest Hotel let me point out one major difference.  Quest Hotel is fairly new.  Waterfront seems much older than it actually is, don't be tricked by their photos on agoda and their website because this hotel was built 1996 that was 18 years ago.  I doubt much maintenance was done in the 18 years.  So if age of hotel is important to you then Quest wins hands down.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)
One think this thread should teach you is that everybody gets a different experience here.

Right, but you've been doing this longer then just about anyone on this forum so I would give some credibility to that.

Edited by MikeB
Rephrased
  • Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

You should have your girl from Bacolod meet you at the airport in Cebu. You have already spent some time on it so you must be interested. She will find out what you are doing in Cebu and it will be trouble for you. Ask her what hotel to stay at?

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

The advice my fiancee gave me "was pick one already!" When I asked her opinion on hotels. She had a point, you're not buying the place. It's a place to sleep, poop, shower, shave and shine before you move on. :)

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Ask her what hotel to stay at?

Why would you expect a girl from Bacolod to know what hotel suits you and your budget in Cebu?  If she does know I would wonder how she knew.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Why would you expect a girl from Bacolod to know what hotel suits you and your budget in Cebu?  If she does know I would wonder how she knew.

That is my point!

• Like 2

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

HA! Well I booked two nights ant Quest yesterday! Hahaha. I popped on to share it. Anyway I TOO am AMAZED at the variety of experiences on EVERYTHING. So, I have learned to take it all in and then think about it and go from there. I appreciate all the input as I am sure we all do and yet after reading many unsolicited views elsewhere I came to the conclusion that Quest would work for me for the reasons pointed out. I mean, I will have 26 more days to rough it out, so I figure the first couple of nights I should enjoy a "bit" of luxury. Anywho, All satisfied plus they pick you up. They tell you that before you even ask. So all should be well. This morning went to get a "consultation" on the shots should take. Lady at Nevada Health told me Tetanus, Hep A&B and Typhoid. I told her I would think on it ONE more day BECAUSE when I put it out there HALF SAID NO SHOTS NEEDED (I been her 3500 years, etc, etc) and OTHER HALF SAID GET ALL THE SHOTS!!!! I think I will get what they recommend even though I am trying to really see if I need to get the HEP A&B because I will be leaving in 27 days so I wonder if I should. The other two I think I will get. Anywhodoneit, I will probably get all four.....unless

..............................I hear........someone offer......another view.....perhaps?  :whistling:  I just wonder if I should just wait until there. I mean when you look at HOW you can catch the HEPS then it makes sense to me to get them, because I even as careful as I will be....I will eat....some food. So, but thanks all. I got the hotel and in the morning I will get at least two needles. (Tetanus and Typhoid)

One think this thread should teach you is that everybody gets a different experience here.  It is amazing to me that even taking a cab is a totally different experience for everyone, or so it would seem.

So now that you are comparing Waterfront, Mactan and Quest Hotel let me point out one major difference.  Quest Hotel is fairly new.  Waterfront seems much older than it actually is, don't be tricked by their photos on agoda and their website because this hotel was built 1996 that was 18 years ago.  I doubt much maintenance was done in the 18 years.  So if age of hotel is important to you then Quest wins hands down.

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

You should have your girl from Bacolod meet you at the airport in Cebu. You have already spent some time on it so you must be interested. She will find out what you are doing in Cebu and it will be trouble for you. Ask her what hotel to stay at?

WOW!!!!! DA_N!!!!!LOL! She is in Bacolod and she will find out what I am doing in Cebu??????!!!!!!! That opens up another can of worms. I mean I really dig her to the core. We have been chatting heavy for a year and I know, I know, I REALLY BELIEVE she could be THE ONE. (Why do I hear a round of head slaps) BUT.....B-U-T- listening to SO MANY OF YOU, it seems WISE for me to at least see a few, others, maybe a couple of Cebu girls. Because MOST OF ALL OF YOU KEEP SAYING don't get caught up with one when there are THOUSANDS of wonderful girls here. That makes me scared!!!!! Lol. Anyway.........I may just do that. I should trust my gut and just go for it. Because honestly, IF SHE IS EVERYTHING she has appeared to be this year and there is chemistry and attraction, that will be good enough for me. I am NOT looking to bed a bunch of women. I just want one special one. After a horrible divorce from my step-mother, in 1987 my Father got his money from the sale of his house and the next thing we know he is headed off to the Philippines.(Before internet and all_ He comes back with this beautiful girl half his age to the shock of the entire family. He retires from General Motors and proceeds with his new life. And all I know is that for the next 16 years he was the HAPPIEST MAN I EVE DID SEE! And she was amazing. Did not become "Americanized" and all of that. Hard worker, loyal, devoted to him up to his last days in 2003. TO this DAY I never have seen anything like it. So here I am 11 years later after his death..........................looking for the same. Dated Chinese woman last year, Cambodian before that, but am convinced there is nothing like the RIGHT Filipina.

So.....................maybe you are right. Maybe I will have her meet me there. :-) :dance:

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted (edited)

That is my point!

HAHAHA! I did not read this before commenting earlier. Actually I did several times ask her what did she think about the hotel I should stay in. And her response; "Honey I don't know. I have never been to Cebu, but I will go on the internet and find one for you." In which she did and just sent me links to what she thought would be good. All from Trip Adviser and one of them WAS Quest. Afterward she said, " these look like it seems would be nice to you."  What a sweetie.  :-) Yeah I have already given a series of those kinds of tests. Hehehe. She knows Bacolod, Occidental Negroes a bit of Manila and Iio (something) oh and Boracay because she got a job at the end of the year there in a restaurant. Contract ended last month. But other places like Bohol, Palawan, Mactan although she admits; "I hear they are so nice, can we go there?" she can give me no advice on them. Only Nature's Village in Bacolod and that's because her best friend married an American who when he comes to Philippines he stayed there a lot, before they bought their house last summer.

Edited by lifeasisrael