Pokes & Needles (International Shots)

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

This week I search for my shots. I was told to have them two-weeks to month upon my arrival. I leave for Philippines one month from today. Would you share about your.....shots? which ones are a MUST, which ones are just the Doctor trying to get an extra $100 out of me? So far, I have down on my paper Hepatitis A&B, Rabies,  Japanese Encephalitis, Malaria, Typhoid, and............ that's it. That enough? Missing anything?

Thanks!

robert k
Posted
Posted

You could always get your shots after you arrive and keep yourself in quarantine until you think they are effective :). Just kidding, maybe.

Avoid strange animals, most rabid animals I have seen don't move very fast. If you are worried about carriers, stay away from rats and bats. Mosquitos and diseases tansmitted by them are no joke but if you stay away from swampy areas you greatly reduce the chances of being bitten by a disease carrier. 100% deet is pretty effective repellent, bring it from the states. I personally had no shots before I went to the RP, stayed on a farm in a nipa hut for a month, sleeping under a mosquito net and was never bitten there. In a nice hotel in the city I was bitten 3 times by a bug whose bite carried staph infection, shots wouldn't have helped that.

When I return I probably will get a full spectrum of shots in the RP because I may want to go to the crocodile petting zoo or whatever and I will just have to forgoe the crocodiles for 2 weeks after my arrival, or wear my 100% deet, which can kill a cat so use caution around pets.

My friend in Dumaguete was thinking of getting $2,000 worth of shots before going and I thought that was a little excessive. He asked me what you would need for them to let you on the plane and I told him a boarding pass. He didn't get any shots either and he's still alive and happy in Dumaguete, lucky sod. I suggest you get what you really think you need, the "never get overs" innoculations and you can get more in the RP where a doctors office visit is alot less, if you need them.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Forget the shots and bring plenty of insect repellant, OFF lotion is everywhere but the good spray like Cutter is very hard to find. Don't drink tap water and be very careful about what you eat, utensils, ice, etc. The biggest risk to your life and limb is on the roads.

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

​Hepatitis shots took 3 months, depending on your age I would get shingles and pneumonia vaccines, I'm thinking of getting rabbies shot before next trip.

• Like 1

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

You could always get your shots after you arrive and keep yourself in quarantine until you think they are effective :). Just kidding, maybe.

Avoid strange animals, most rabid animals I have seen don't move very fast. If you are worried about carriers, stay away from rats and bats. Mosquitos and diseases tansmitted by them are no joke but if you stay away from swampy areas you greatly reduce the chances of being bitten by a disease carrier. 100% deet is pretty effective repellent, bring it from the states. I personally had no shots before I went to the RP, stayed on a farm in a nipa hut for a month, sleeping under a mosquito net and was never bitten there. In a nice hotel in the city I was bitten 3 times by a bug whose bite carried staph infection, shots wouldn't have helped that.

When I return I probably will get a full spectrum of shots in the RP because I may want to go to the crocodile petting zoo or whatever and I will just have to forgoe the crocodiles for 2 weeks after my arrival, or wear my 100% deet, which can kill a cat so use caution around pets.

My friend in Dumaguete was thinking of getting $2,000 worth of shots before going and I thought that was a little excessive. He asked me what you would need for them to let you on the plane and I told him a boarding pass. He didn't get any shots either and he's still alive and happy in Dumaguete, lucky sod. I suggest you get what you really think you need, the "never get overs" innoculations and you can get more in the RP where a doctors office visit is alot less, if you need them.

MAN ARE YOU KIDDING?!!!!! It seems everyone and their mother was stressing me out about these shots!!!!!! And here two of you say forget it? HA! I love it! Well how about I meet those two opinions half way. I will get the the Hepatitis shots because I am juuuust a bit paranoid about that. Have an Uncle that contracted the disease years ago and his life was never the same. But the others, wow, I can hold off. I will be there a month and I don't think I will be in any of the places ou describe. Resorts mostly in Batayan, Bacolod and Cebu. But I didn't even think I could get them there, so something to think about. Thanks. 

"He asked me what you would need for them to let you on the plane and I told him a boarding pass. "

This made me LOL.

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

​Hepatitis shots took 3 months, depending on your age I would get shingles and pneumonia vaccines, I'm thinking of getting rabbies shot before next trip.

Wait, are you saying it takes those shots 3 months before kicking in? Then I don't need to get those being that I will be there a months from today. (Have you noticed how I loved saying that, today?) Hahaha.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

No shot will protect you against dengue. But if you're really concerned about staying safe, stay off the damn motorbikes.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

If I understand correctly, if you have had Chicken Pox, you already have the virus for shingles and will carry it until you die.

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

If I understand correctly, if you have had Chicken Pox, you already have the virus for shingles and will carry it until you die.

Well I had Chicken Pox as a kid. So I should have the shingles shot?

Lol@ Yeah, I was planing on staying off those bikes. Heard some nasty stories. OUCH!

jpbago
Posted
Posted

No matter where you live or where you go, everyone should be vaccinated for Hepatitis AB, and MMR (measles, mumps, rubela). These are life long vaccinations. There has been some measles outbreaks here lately. As for rabies, you can get those 3 vaccinations here free at the health center after you get bitten.

Last July, my two daughters got dengue. For that, I recommend Blue Cross Medical Insurance and a private hospital. Baygon and a net might help but 24 hour protection is very difficult. You will find mosquitos in unlikely places like airports, taxis, and banks.

As said earlier, road accidents are likely your biggest risk. There again, medical insurance.