Pokes & Needles (International Shots)

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

by the by concerning shots. I got nipped by a neighbors dog,,,mean little yap yap mutt. after I dropped kicked him over the fence. The wife got all hypochondriac on me. Insisted I get rabies shots. (the dog was obviously not rabid, just a mean little bastard). The costs to me seems very reasonable. 50 USD per shot (5 shots). I asked how much a tetanus shot was, 300 pesos, (15 USD).

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
The costs to me seems very reasonable. 50 USD per shot (5 shots). I

Very reasonable! $250.00 USD. This adds fuel to the fire that all foreigners are rich!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Yes, very reasonable I think, got this off the web ----- Usually, the rabies vaccine cost for the HRIG and the shot series is between $2,000 and $7,000 per person---and you know how you can believe everything on the internet lololol :hystery:

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
This week I search for my shots. I was told to have them two-weeks to month upon my arrival. I leave for Philippines one month from today.

Before visiting the Philippines, you may need to get the following vaccinations and medications for vaccine-preventable diseases and other diseases you might be at risk for at your destination: (Note: Your doctor or health-care provider will determine what you will need, depending on factors such as your health and immunization history, areas of the country you will be visiting, and planned activities.)

To have the most benefit, see a health-care provider at least 4–6 weeks before your trip to allow time for your vaccines to take effect and to start taking medicine to prevent malaria, if you need it.

Even if you have less than 4 weeks before you leave,

you should still see a health-care provider for needed vaccines, anti-malaria drugs and other medications and information about how to protect yourself from illness and injury while traveling.

Hepatitis A&B, Rabies, Japanese Encephalitis, Malaria, Typhoid, and............ that's it. That enough? Missing anything?

Humm. here is the CDC link and 2 past topics from the forum.

1st question is how is your health? is your immune system good?

will you being staying/visiting in a major city or going to the province(rural area)?

of my experience at least the HEPA and update your Tetanus,,

if you plan to visit rural, you can take a TYPHOID pill not a shot . i recall its 3 pills taken over several days.

2, most people/visitors dont have any health issues YET its better to be safe than sorry,

shot and shot costs?

if their is a public clinic in clark county you maybe able to get them at an reduce rate or if you have insurance

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/11809-have-you-had-your-vaccinations-updated/

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/16552-our-childrens-health/

here is the CDC link for the philippines

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/philippines

Hope the above info is helpful to you and updates/refresh the memory

of others to be proactive in our health

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Last shots I've had was when I was in the service back in the early 60's ..... I think more people come here with out taking any shots than do .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I believe that the Shingles shot will do no good if you've had chicken pox. : ( After a little more study, it seems the best way to avoid shingles if your immune system is good is contact with children who have natural chicken pox to boost your immune system and not an attenuated vaccine. Chicken pox is a form of herpes? I never knew that. If you get shingles, someone who has never had Chicken pox can contract Chicken pox from you. The Chicken pox virus can lie dormant in your nerves for decades appearing when your immune system is weakened. Some predict shingles will become epidemic before the eradication of Chicken pox because there will be fewer and fewer natural wild strains to come in contact with and boost your immune system. Joy! 

I have to stop, this information is so cheerful that I'm afraid I will make everyone giddy. :hystery:

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
. I think more people come here with out taking any shots than do ...

And some get shot after when they get here.

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
18 posts 4 topics Skin: Glare 3.4.4 (Import) Local time: 12:57 AM Gender:Male Location:Las Vegas Country of Birth: Blood Type:No Listing Posted Yesterday, 09:02 PM robert k, on 17 Mar 2014 - 7:54 PM, said: If I understand correctly, if you have had Chicken Pox, you already have the virus for shingles and will carry it until you die. Well I had Chicken Pox as a kid. So I should have the shingles shot?

Think you must be 50 or 55,  If you've had chicken pox you have the virus, the vaccine will prevent or make must less a occurrence of the virus.  I've had serveral friends that have had it and it is very unpleasant.  t\

The vaccine is free if you're a veteran. IT DOESN'T SEEMS TO BE CONTRACTED BY OVEREXPOSURE TO ANY STRAIN OF THE VIRUS, JUST WHENEVER.

• Like 1

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

18 posts 4 topics Skin: Glare 3.4.4 (Import) Local time: 12:57 AM Gender:Male Location:Las Vegas Country of Birth: Blood Type:No Listing Posted Yesterday, 09:02 PM robert k, on 17 Mar 2014 - 7:54 PM, said: If I understand correctly, if you have had Chicken Pox, you already have the virus for shingles and will carry it until you die. Well I had Chicken Pox as a kid. So I should have the shingles shot?

Think you must be 50 or 55,  If you've had chicken pox you have the virus, the vaccine will prevent or make must less a occurrence of the virus.  I've had serveral friends that have had it and it is very unpleasant.  t\

The vaccine is free if you're a veteran. IT DOESN'T SEEMS TO BE CONTRACTED BY OVEREXPOSURE TO ANY STRAIN OF THE VIRUS, JUST WHENEVER.

And yes just turned 50 12 days ago. Health is pretty good. Never spent one night in a hospital since I was born. But two years ago Sciatica kicked in and so I have been dealing with that. Back stuff but not limiting me a whole lot at all. Anyway see the doctor on April 2 so I will see what she say's. Actually now I think about it I think I did have Hep shots long ago, so maybe get the Malaria one and the ty pill. Anyway, I wish I wish I could really say how much I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. What is funny is its about half and half. Get shots, skip shots, get shots when you get there. I am sure I will get some kind of shots. Its the mosquito thing that concerns me and the dengue. So will get what I need before leaving here. Again thanks.

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

If you have a shot/immu record, have your doc take a look at it before you leave.  I still carry the military shot record I received when I went on active duty 30+ years ago right along with my passport, and have kept it updated with every shot I've ever received since, even annual flu shots.  It's titled "International Certificates of Vaccination", as approved by the World Health Organization.  The only destination I needed a bunch of new shots/pills was New Delhi, India for a 30-day business trip.  I would recommend a fresh tetanus shot, though, most of my accidents are usually self-inflicted, ha!  Just be careful what and where you eat and drink, you should be fine.  My biggest fear is dengue and malaria, we keep a butt-load of Baygon and mosquito coils on hand, and when you're in the boonies, on the water or working outside around the house, take a clue from the local laborers - cover up!  I've had a handful of bites, but so far, so good.  The only problem I had was minor foot infections during my first month (damn flip-flops!), but a little Amoxicillin and taking better care of my feet took care of that.  BTW, bring a bunch of sunscreen, it's sometimes hard to find and expensive over here.  OK, probably more than you wanted to know, have a great trip!