Pokes & Needles (International Shots)

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

For those of you wondering, the vaccination for singles is not required. Any one who has had singles may prefer to have it. Anyone who had had herpes zoster will definitely prefer to get the shot. What's the difference between the two? The zoster is the one that will break out around your eye. Or in your eye and thus you may go blind. Or develope into meningitis... Or encephalitus... Some people may lose control of their facial muscles... Others may end up in severe pain for the rest of their lives... I know. Not only did I almost die from this a few years back but I'm lying in bed with another oubreak as I write this. Thankfully a very mild attack. So will the vacination work? 50% of herpes zoster not reoccurring is pretty good. And, even if you get it, 67% of all aftereffects are reduced or prevented. So if anyone has ever had herpes zoster? I recommend the vaccine. Did I mention stress and typical weather are 2 known causes of outbreaks?

Sent from my Samsung Tab 3 by Tapatalk, 6 talking Parrots, Jungle Drummers and one mean Gibson RD Standard fretless bass slapped silly...

Oops! Fixed a couple errors... Also forgot to mention that this is not the same vacine for shingles but a special one for herpes zoster. And, yes! Living in the philippines is a prime factor for an outbreak!

Edited by I am bob
  • Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
My biggest fear is dengue and malaria, we keep a butt-load of Baygon and mosquito coils on hand

Last summer, there was a lot of dengue in Bacolod and Negros Occidental. more than most years but it is supposed to run in cycles so maybe there will be less this year. June and July were the worst months. Both of my daughters got it in July and our doctor had over 100 cases ongoing at that time. Baygon works well and it also kills cockroaches. Maybe old ladies and young babies too. Chemicals are not good for humans. 

• Like 1

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Thanks, JP.  My asawa is quite liberal with the Baygon, but I get out of the immediate area of treatment, ha.  Do you know of any other measures to take to avoid dengue?  About the cockroaches...we have none here right now, but we unknowingly took some back to the US in our luggage about 8 years ago, and it took us several years to exterminate them in our TX residence.  We used to joke about them being "undocumented immigrants" and "dual citizens", but they were an absolute beotch to eradicate.  I am sure that some are alive and well in our former TX neighborhood somewhere, sorry about that.  House sold fast, glad we're not going back, ha!     

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Do you know of any other measures to take to avoid dengue?

It is near to impossible to protect yourself 24 hours with deet. Off, or Baygon. Plus chemicals are dangerous to your health. Try to remove their habitat like no water laying around in tires or cans, no tall grass, etc. If there is an outbreak of dengue in one area, the health center will spray a larvacide. In our case, it was government dengue mosquitoes from the junk in the DPWH work yard. Four young ladies adjacent to them got it, including one of their secretaries.

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

I used this map before I came here and amazingly my doctor used the same one. http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/philippines/philippines-malaria-map.aspx.   Where I was planning to be showed little or no incident of malaria so he advised me not to bother with antimalarials

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The OP is only staying a month. I would not worry about any shots but make sure you have travel insurance. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Thanks, JP.  Back in Bacolod now, after a week or so up in Pampanga visiting family.  So what exactly are the symptoms and treatment for dengue?  Feeling fine now, but to be forewarned is to be forearmed, ha!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

Thanks, JP.  Back in Bacolod now, after a week or so up in Pampanga visiting family.  So what exactly are the symptoms and treatment for dengue?  Feeling fine now, but to be forewarned is to be forearmed, ha!

Wow I will arrive in Bacolod on the 19th. Will be at the Nature's Village. Any thoughts on that place? Anything I should see for sure while there before I head to Siquijor?

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Insisted I get rabies shots. (the dog was obviously not rabid, just a mean little bastard). The costs to me seems very reasonable. 50 USD per shot (5 shots)

for those who live here and have philhealth. They do pay for RABIES TREATMENT .

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/circulars/2012/circ33_2012.pdf

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/news/2012/bite_treatment.html

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/benefits/

Animal Bite Treatment Package
P3,000.00 i. Rabies vaccine
• Purified Vero Cell Rabies Vaccine (PVRV) or
• Purified Chick: Embryo Vaccine (PCECV)

ii. Rabies Immune Globulin (RIG)
• Human Rabies Immune Globulin (HRIG) or
• Purified Equine Rabies Immune Globulin (pERIG)

iii. Local wound care
iv. Tetanus toxoid and anti-tetanus serum (ATS)
v. Antibiotics
vi. Supplies such as, but not limited to, syringes, cotton, alcohol and other antiseptics PhilHealth accredited Animal Bite Treatment Centers This package shall cover the following:

a. The cost of providing Post-exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) services. The following are identified as reimbursable PEP service items:
i. Rabies vaccine
• Purified Vero Cell Rabies Vaccine (PVRV) or
• Purified Chick: Embryo Vaccine (PCECV

ii. Rabies Immune Globulin (RIG)
• Human Rabies Immune Globulin (HR1G) or
• Purified Equine Rubies Immune Globulin (pERIG)

iii. Local wound care
iv. Tetanus toxoid and anti-tetanus serum (ATS)
v. Antibiotics
vi. Supplies such as, but not limited to, syringes, cotton, alcohol and other antiseptics
b. Dog bites primarily. However, persons bitten by other domestic animals (cats) and livestock (cows, pigs, horses, goats) as well as wild animals (bats, monkeys) may be covered.

c. Category III Rabies exposure
i. Trans dermal bite (puncture wounds, lacerations, avulsions) or scratches/abrasions with spontaneous bleeding
ii. Exposure to a rabies patient through bites, contamination of mucous membranes (eyes, oral/nasal mucosa, genital/anal Mucous membrane or open skin lesions with body fluids through splattering and mouth-to-mouth Resuscitation
iii. Handling of infected carcass or ingestion of raw infected meat iv. Category II Rabies exposure involving the head and neck c. Patients with repeat exposure

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
for those who live here and have philhealth. They do pay for RABIES TREATMENT

I found that interesting as I was once with a friend in a hospital emergency room to get a tetanus shot among other treatments and I asked the doctor there if PhilHealth paid for any of it (he was covered) and she said PhilHealth only pays if you are admitted to hospital, not for outpatient treatment.  So I wonder if rabies shots are different or if they are only covered while a patient in the hospital.  And seriously. most of us getting or paying for rabies shots are not getting admitted, the shots are just precautionary and thus I seriously doubt they would be covered as they would be considered optional at that point.  Just my opinion and observations.