First Move To The Philippines

06charger
Posted
Posted

How much in USD should I come with for a fresh start in olongapo? I'm looking for a simple life style with minimum luxuries.

brock
Posted
Posted

Whatever you have make sure you have a reserve for any emergency

• Like 4

Jumper0155
Posted
Posted

From the research that I have done, I would suggest at least having $10,000 to $15,000 available in your emergency fund and $1,200 steady monthly income.  Be sure to also plan on future cost of living increases and exchange rate fluctuations. With those things covered, I would think you could do well in Olongapo. 

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

If you are going to live on the economy outside of the Freeport, I would plan for $1200-1400/mo. You could probably get by with less but at least you would have a buffer. If you can get a furnished place it will save you cost in setting up your residence (bed, mattress, fridge, stove, etc.). As a minimum, I would have a credit card with a high enoug credit limit that would cover that emergency ticket out or most medical emergencies ($10-15,000).

• Like 3

06charger
Posted
Posted

Im a veteran and I know that there is a VA center in Manila. Should that cover my full medical expenses if need be? I recieve 80% disability.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

VA in Manila,,,(downtown near the embassy) is for service connected disabilities only. Havnt heard a lot of good things about the place from a fellow vet that goes there. However Tri-care standard is available here. 25% deductible.

06charger
Posted
Posted

Isn't tricare only for retired vets?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)

if you have an ID card you probably qualify, the va web page is pretty detailed. what rank where you when u mustered out if I can ask?

Edited by scott h

06charger
Posted
Posted

I was e5 and only served 15 years.