First Move To The Philippines

robert k
Posted
Posted

One might think internet is a luxury that you can live without but in my case, had I not checked my e-mail my ATM card would have been put on hold until I answered that it was really me using it in the Philippines. This after informing my bank on two occasions in person that I was travelling to the Philippines. I also booked a room using Agoda and the billing was from the UK, which prompted another e-mail from my bank which If I did not respond, they would have cancelled the room because obviously by now, they knew I was in the Philippines. LOL.

If you intend using a card at ATMs, make sure you have one that will work with most Philippine banks, I was shocked that my JP Morgan/Chase card only worked with China Bank and Allied Bank and even had to travel to another province one time to withdraw cash. It would be much better if your card company worked with BPI and BDO. It's more fun in the Philippines. :)

• Like 2

06charger
Posted
Posted

I receive 80% disability from the VA. I also have a US bank account that is good intwrnationally. I appreciate all the good advice. As of now I'm actually living in Moldova (Eastern Europe), with my wife at her mothers. I just need to escape asap. I have a good monthly income bit just no nest egg. Its frustrating because I really want to cross that line.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

because obviously by now, they knew I was in the Philippines.

Odd, you should bring this up now Robert,  About 18 months ago, my UK bank (My branch was Offshore in Gibraltar) contacted me by email at first, To get me to send them Proof of Address, this they said was to ensure that their records were to to date ???( How strange I thought, I have not notified them of Changes) I got a Surface mail about 6/7 weeks later telling me that new Rules were in Place and each client had to  provide proof of Address at certain times. The second paragraph was to inform me, that it was a condition of holding an account with them and as I was as a private account Holder, I should be resident in the UK or in my case in Gibraltar, If I could not do this by a certain date, my account would be suspended and my Visa debit card and Credit Card would not be honoured. i could hardly lie when they Phoned to ask where I was, they had my phone number +63 so they knew exactly where I was.( I gave my PI number for Emergencies. (that was from the Internet banking service conditions)

It was my Intention, to have all my pensions, paid into this account on my Retirement. and run out on withdrawals at ATM's now as my pensionable age was looming. Decisions had to be made. I either got Mickey mouse Addresses in the UK and hoped for the best or came Clean and admitted I was now living in the Philippines. they gave me 3 months grace to get sorted out.

Not wanting to take risks with pensions and the UK  Government knowing, where I was (there is a strong social insurance Agreement in Force) They Urged me to get a local PI bank and all will be well.  I did this with PNB and to date, no problem. My money goes into PNB at the same time each month ( Subject to holidays then maybe 2 days late) the rate I got this month, was 73.04 peso to the Pound.

All in All I think i did the right thing.

Living in the PI and having an own country Bank account is OK, as long as there are no problems. You can never tell what the banks will do and lets face it, unless you have a stash of Peso hidden at home, if the bank or card issuer decide to suspend your cards and account for non compliance.

"You are up Swanee, with no paddle" and no rice"  :unsure:

:tiphat:

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

Like the others said, you will have to notify your bank that you will be in the RP using your ATM or Credit Card. Otherwise you will hit road blocks and end up with your card on hold or cancelled. 

When using the ATM machines, you are typically charged a local bank fee (around 200p), plus international transaction fee and finally a conversion fee. The last two are charged by your bank in the US. I have heard that USAA refunds their fees. Also, most ATMs have a transaction limit of 10,000 or 20,000p. 

I understand your urgency to get out but I do not think that it is wise to come without some kind of nest egg. I agree with the others to get a round trip ticket with a changeable date option for the follow on trip. It is a wise investment towards an emergency departure from the RP. Also the Credit Card to cover a hospital bill is a must.

A VOIP phone comes in handy when contacting your US Bank for issues (there will be no matter how many times you notify them in advance).

Edited by jon1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Like the others said, you will have to notify your bank that you will be in the RP using your ATM or Credit Card.

Just as a follow on and not just, for this OP, I came across this snippet and thought it may be useful to others as well.

http://www.smartrelocationguide.com/blog/should-you-keep-your-bank-account-when-you-move-abroad/

:tiphat:

pokermike
Posted
Posted

I am not an expert like you guys that are living there , but i have been there too many times , I am guessing around 10 times. the thing i do notice is that every time , of course costs are going up on everything.

Everyone is correct about credit cards also they are quick to freeze them if you do not stay in contact with your bank. I also have had problems with bank transfers not being completed in a timely manner. My bank transfers were just a practive move for me to see how things were going to work, its not easy every bank different. The thing i know for sure is the nest egg. i will never be caught short always arrive with just under $10,000 US , over $10,000 have to report. Plus have a big credit line on your cards in case a hospital visit pops up.

i dont think you should ever step foot on another countries soil and have to worry about money/

I dont want to be negative , i just just play well and like to  increase my chances of winning. In poker it is better to enter with a strong hand , if i was playing your hand i would wait longer and gather more funds.  pokermike

• Like 3

AnnieLopez
Posted
Posted

i would say around $1500, plus emergency.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
rfhypnos
Posted
Posted

I am considering a move to Bohol and settling down with my gf who is from there.  I have been to the Philippines 4 times now and been to most of the islands except Bohol and Mindanao.   My longest stay was 5 months traveling around the country.  I am Navy retired and have social security so comfortable financially with a good nest egg of $50,000 ......but I have a medical problem that will require some follow up and I hear that Tricare has not been a good system for vets there.  The biggest question I have is what to do with the $1100 I am paying Medicare if it's not going to be paying for any medical care.  Can I just discontinue it.???  It certainly would be a nice addition to income.