Dns For Dummies?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Using MyBro wireless with Chrome browser.  I frequently get different kinds of DNS errors on evenings and weekends when the system is busy.

What can I do to reduce these errors?  It seems to my 'dummy' brain that this DNS (whatever it is) is getting overloaded on evenings and weekends.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Dave, the easiest and cheapest (free) way is to use the Google DNS servers. Use 8.8.8.8 as primary and 8.8.4.4 as secondary. If you configure your wifi router with these addresses it will apply to every device that connects to it. If not you configure each device separately.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
configure your wifi router with these addresses

Remember, this is 'for dummies'  MyBro is the whole package.  Its a little plastic box that receives the wifi and resends it so I have no other router.  How do I configure this plastic box with the magic numbers for DNS?  Do you have a link to some kind of step by step plan?  Do I have to call the MyBro customer service?  Can it even be done with that service?

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I have been doing what Mike B has been describing for the last several years. One of the most common internet outages in the PI is local DNS Server failures (not network outages). By employing Mike B's method you will maintain connectivity as long as the network is up. I have not had a DNS issue since implementation of this method. You can configure this on a wifi router or a computer.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

It allowed be to change the DNS on Local Area Connection and the MyBro Wireless Connection for IPV4 but not for IPV6.  Not sure if that means anything.  Now to reboot and see if the changes 'stuck' or if they change back.  And also to see if I notice any difference.  Fingers crossed.

On a related note, My Network Connections tab takes about 15 seconds or more to open and it used to be instant.  Wonder what causes that.  I use Vista.

Update:  Rebooted and everything seems fine.  DNS is now 8 8 8 8 and 8 8 8 4 and the speed SEEMS faster but that is likely my enthusiastic imagination.  Time will tell.

But it works so far so thanks Mike

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Update
  • Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Dave, Vista has all sorts of issues, especially network. I tried it when it first came out and promptly tossed it. I would either upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 or come over to the dark side and use Linux (Ubuntu is free). Or go even easier and switch to Mac (a proprietary linux).

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

DNS For Dummies?
Dave, the easiest and cheapest (free) way is to use the Google DNS servers. Use 8.8.8.8 as primary and 8.8.4.4 as secondary. If you configure your wifi router with these addresses it will apply to every device that connects to it. If not you configure each device separately.
Oh! I thought DNS ment "Does Not Start"   :)

Mike S
Posted
Posted
for IPV4 but not for IPV6

Hummmmmm ... I too also switched over to MikeB's suggestion but when I read the M$ info it didn't mention IPV6 .... should I change that also or just the IPV4 .....

MikeB
Posted
Posted

No reason to touch the IPv6 setting. 

• Like 1