Dns For Dummies?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)
Update: Rebooted and everything seems fine. DNS is now 8 8 8 8 and 8 8 8 4 and the speed SEEMS faster but that is likely my enthusiastic imagination. Time will tell.

Dave, on the second DNS, did you mean 8.8.4.4 ?

Edit by Dave:  Yes.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Yes
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Agree with MikeB about using the google DNS.  Another thing you can do which may help is to flush your DNS cache.

Click Start then enter "cmd" in the"Search programs and files" box.  This will open a dos command interface window.

Enter the following command (without the quotes) "ipconfig /flushdns"  there must be a space between the g and /

Hit enter and the existing cache will be emptied.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

Agree with MikeB about using the google DNS.  Another thing you can do which may help is to flush your DNS cache.

Click Start then enter "cmd" in the"Search programs and files" box.  This will open a dos command interface window.

Enter the following command (without the quotes) "ipconfig /flushdns"  there must be a space between the g and /

Hit enter and the existing cache will be emptied.

If Vista, 7 or 8, make sure you run the CMD prompt in Admin mode. This can be done as Mike stated but instead of just clicking on it, right click and choose "Run As Administrator"

Edited by Steve & Myrlita

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hummmmm .... I got this message ..... Windows IP Configuration ....... Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cashe: Function failed during execusion .... so what did I do wrong ..... :no:

:cheersty:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Make sure the DNS Client service is started. Start - Run -> services.msc - DNS Client should be set to Automatic Startup and started.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Ahhhhhh ... OK ..... in the same article you posted about the DNS further down the page M$ suggested that we set DNS Client to stop .... which is what I did so now I'll start it back up .... :hystery: :hystery:

Thanks

:cheersty:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

OK it worked AFTER I restarted my computer .......post-11-0-66909800-1401702170_thumb.jpg  post-11-0-67947500-1401702207_thumb.jpg

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Best of luck to the rest of you but it did not solve my problem after all.  I had high hopes but here it is Monday evening and the Internet is, as usual, slow and stuttering, which means game playing is out the window.  Time to go for a walk.  Here is a screenshot to show what I mean

post-41-0-01217800-1401705740_thumb.jpg

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Dave, open a command prompt and type ping 8.8.8.8

If you can't ping that there are bigger problems then the DNS server. The DNS server probably wouldn't be the cause of a slow internet connection. Likely an intermittent bad or dropping connection.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Dave, open a command prompt and type ping 8.8.8.8

If you can't ping that there are bigger problems then the DNS server. The DNS server probably wouldn't be the cause of a slow internet connection. Likely an intermittent bad or dropping connection.

Also try tracert. Make sure it isn't hanging.

• Like 1