Dns For Dummies?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

DNS for Dummies Part Two:

I posted in another thread that I was only getting 3Mbs on my Globe Pocket Wifi so I searched and found a program called namebench

You download it and run it and in "5 minutes" it tells you what are the fastest DNS servers for your Internet connection.  Sounds great, except the darn thing ran for over 6 hours on my laptop before it finally gave me the result.  The results were 3 DNS servers, in order of fastest to third fastest and guess what,  the existing DNS default supplied by Globe is the fastest and their alternate is the second fastest and Google open DNS is the 3rd fastest.

Interesting to run the program and I will do it again when I eventually switch to SkyCable Internet.  Just 'waiting a while' now until they come and install it.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Dave, the DNS server's only function is the conversion from web site name to routable IP address eg, from philippines-expats.com to 173.248.191.165. There are many other factors that are more likely the cause of internet slowness.

In general cable is faster then DSL but it's also more affected by the number of subscribers in your immediate area since you're sharing one cable. It may start out good but get not so good. Just something to consider.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I knew a guy once who demanded great internet... This was back in Canada... So he bought a house 3 doors down from where the fiber optic regional backbone ran... Of course, his internet was crap... He forgot that his signal ran all the way to another city 30 kilometers away before being redirected towards a large trunk- and a different one at that, his network was over antique cabling with severely worn and cracked insulation (don't you love how it works in the rain?) And his ISP was a reseller for a reseller for a reseller... I had better service with my little 3G wireless stick!

Just a little example to show just how right Mike is! It takes a lot of digging and confirming the facts to know if your location is good for an ISP or even a particular type of service!