Coming From The Us?

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

If anyone is coming to Cebu anytime soon, I could use 20 or so of the forever postage stamps that are self adhesive. I just got an ssa letter today asking me to let them know I was still alive, and I really hate to ask people that I have already asked to mail a letter for me to buy a stamp first. So If someone is coming and can bring some stamps for me I would appreciate it.

There used to be a forum on here called Help A Member Out, seems to have gone missing. Also, I tried several times to paste text into this box and it wouldn't let me no matter what method I tried.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I don't believe we have ever had a forum named Help a member out, a topic maybe but not a forum. As for pasting text I have no problem? are you using IE 11? Have you tried switching off the little light switch looking thing at the top left of the edit box? Or one of the paste choices top right?

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Lordblacknail,

Maybe you know more about this than me but every year I mail my SSA questionnaire back to them by going to Philpost and they affix Philpost stamps to the envelope. I don't believe US Postage Stamps can be used in the Philippines. Please let us know if this is wrong.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I think he means sending it by carrier like LBC to a friend in the US and having him/her send it USPS. So the need for stamps. It goes to a PO box so LBC won't send it direct to SSA. That's the way I do it but I don't worry about a few stamps, I've done plenty of favors so I'm owed a few. You have 60 days from the date SSA sends that form to get it back to them and most or all of that is eaten up getting it to you via Philpost so it's not something you can sit on.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I don't believe US Postage Stamps can be used in the Philippines

This is my understanding. In fact I am almost certain.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

As part of our retirement, we set up a mailbox address in South Dakota. They are instructed to get rid of anything that looks like junk mail and mail once a month all other correspondents. If it seems urgent like a notice for jury duty, the service will open the envelope and convert it to pdf file to send via email. All banking and stock brokerage accounts are electronic only so the service company won't see something that is private.   .

If I was living overseas and wanted to conceal my location, the service would accept the letter and resend it using my South Dakota box address. This is for situations like someone has an ex-wife who is trying to track you down.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

When I retired and moved to the Philippines in November 2009 I opened a mail forwarding account in Texas. I could access their website on line and view a listing of all mail received for me and then I could select which mail I wanted them to scan for my viewing and which mail to forward to my address in the Philippines. I kept this service for one year but it turned out that it was useless because the only mail I wanted to receive was from the government agency where I retired and from Social Security. Both of them are sending mail directly to my address in the Philippines now so sending my mail to a mail forwarding service in the USA was just delaying my mail getting to me. All of the other mail was junk mail that was destroyed. If a friend or relative wanted to write to me they could mail it direct to my address in the Philippines but since most people have email and a Facebook account postal mail is almost obsolete.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

We failed to answer Lordblacknail's request. Anyone still in the United States willing to mail him some forever stamps? Or bring him a book of stamps on a future trip to Cebu

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm fairly certain you can print your own postage at Stamps.com or USPS.com.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I just got an ssa letter today asking me to let them know I was still alive,

I just received my 2 letters from SSA wanting to know if there were any changes. Need to LBC to a friend and have him forward them. This is 2 years in a row. 

• Like 1