Ferries To Bohol

crad
Posted
Posted

I would think twice about getting a return ferry ticket in the Philippines, ferries are generally too unreliable unless they offer a really big inducement in a the shape of a big discount. Although the Dumaguete ferry is one of the more reliable ones, just because a ferry is running on a Saturday, does not mean it will be running on the following Thursday. Also I am  a bit surprised they would be able to issue you a return ticket, for the bike as well as the driver. How are they going to know that it is the same bike for the return journey, that you took on the outward one? Did you have to line up at the window again and show your documents, even though you had a return ticket in your hand?

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

They never ask for paper going to or from dumaguete and maayo shipping is always on time

Except for weather concerns

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

No gimmick on the dumaguete only 205 p return fair cheapest ferry I have found

Interesting. Between Dumaguete and where? 

crad
Posted
Posted

They never ask for paper going to or from dumaguete and maayo shipping is always on time

nearly always on ferries you do have to show your registration. I think i had to show mine when I went from Cebu to Dumaguete. I would remember if I didn't. The only time I remember where I haven't had to show registration, and it was more once too, was in Consuelo, going to Danao.Not sure why that is, maybe they arre just lax at the port there. But going in the other direction from Danao, I have always had to show registration.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

nearly always on ferries you do have to show your registration. I think i had to show mine when I went from Cebu to Dumaguete. I would remember if I didn't. The only time I remember where I haven't had to show registration, and it was more once too, was in Consuelo, going to Danao.Not sure why that is, maybe they arre just lax at the port there. But going in the other direction from Danao, I have always had to show registration.

They are suppoused to check to make it harder for stolen vehicles to move to an other island.

crad
Posted
Posted

They are suppoused to check to make it harder for stolen vehicles to move to an other island.

which is why I would have thought it virtually impossible to get a return ticket for both bike, and driver in one transaction. What is to stop somebody from taking one bike from Dumaguete to Cebu and then returning back to Dumaguete from Cebu a few days later, with a totally different, perhaps stolen bike. Also I have never managed to have a company quote me a price for bike and driver over the phone. They will tell you the passenger price, but not the bike and driver price so readily. Although you should not be using the expression 'bike' for motorbike in the Philippines anyway. As in their lexicon, 'bike' means 'bicycle', which is a lower price than motorbike. The Filipino English slang for 'motorbike' is not 'bike', but 'motor'. Over the phone, if you say 'bike' to a Filipino, they will not think you mean motorbike. They will think you mean bicycle.

loading bikes on to ferries can be a real pain in the pain in the ass sometmes. You have to line up and present the documentation at the booth. You can have to wait hours in some cases, to load it onto the ferry as the guy in charge of the loading may not be absolutely sure all the time where the bikes are supposed to go. And then sometimes when you disembark on arrival, you have to go this other office and line up and pay a final bill. It can take ages. Bringing motorbikes on to ferries can not only be quite expensive, but also quite a lot of hassle. So much hassle, that even when you own your own bike, if you are going somewhere where it is easy and cheap to rent one, it can be better to do that, than bring your own.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

which is why I would have thought it virtually impossible to get a return ticket for both bike, and driver in one transaction. What is to stop somebody from taking one bike from Dumaguete to Cebu and then returning back to Dumaguete from Cebu a few days later, with a totally different, perhaps stolen bike.

Well. NO DIFFERENCE for checking vehicle documents, if it's a return ticket or not, they can check documents anyway.

(But  ELECTRIC motorbikes don't need registration, which make it different for them.)

robert k
Posted
Posted

But where would you recharge the electric bike when away from home on another island? I bet that will be some expensive electricity! The range on electric bikes is not that good even if you are riding slow enough to be a hazard to motorized traffic.

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

I have took the bato to negros ferry 20 plus times and have never been asked for any paperwork or ID maybe they write the plate down I have took both bikes and cars across getting s return trip is just for the asking almost the price of one way

Its mostly locals and day yo day business

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time...  hehe!), but I believe the standard established government requirement is that all paperwork for all vehicles are checked.  Now if they aren't doing that at one of the ferries, would anybody be truly surprised?  This isn't North America or Europe where everything is run by the book ( :hystery: ), but the Philippines where those with the highest seniority at that particular moment and within 10 meters will decide what is done.   :89:  :mocking:

• Like 1