Legal Ramifications For Abandoning Wife For Philippines

06charger
Posted
Posted

I'm wanting to leave my wife without any legal processing. What are my risks? I'm a US citizen living in moldova. She is from Moldova herself.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would say that depends on the laws of Moldova, the US government could be persuaded to come after you for child or spousal support if the laws of Moldova say you owe it. Whether you ex would go through the process or not depends on her.

Edited by robert k

pokermike
Posted
Posted

There is a big risk if you take off and she files a divorce by publication which she can do if she can not contact you . if she does and i am sure her lawyer or legal aid would recommend she would get everything you own , not half, everything. i have a friend who just went through one he is now broke and has to come back to the us and strat over. He met someone on line then moved to the Philippines.

Much better to just get a divorce and split everything and strat your new life. Half is better than nothing. Plus if you run and hind money then you possibly gace jail time

robert k
Posted
Posted

I don't doubt that it is wise to face the music but I believe the OP is not in posession of alot of assets from his other posts. Whether his Disability check from Uncle Sugar could be docked and how much would be the major consideration I think. He might be able to live a decent life on his disability check in the Philippines but worst case, if half of it goes to the ex for support (just a theoretical), I could well choose to stay in the US for the safety net.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Not an expert by any means, but I can say it was a regular occurrence to receive a notice of garnishment from various district attornys (garnishment division) office for spousal and child support. I would forward them to HR. I can't count the number of times my guys would come up to me and ask why all of a sudden their pay or disability payments were docked all of a sudden.

Bottom line if the lady has the paperwork all in order and the time to go after you, your check might very well be garnished.

jon1
Posted
Posted

I would say that depends on the laws of Moldova, the US government could be persuaded to come after you for child or spousal support if the laws of Moldova say you owe it. Whether you ex would go through the process or not depends on her.

I agree with Robert, see what the local laws are. If there is no children it should be a simple matter (if they have divorce in Moldova, I have no idea). It is much better to face the music but try to keep it as calm as possible. Otherwise the lawyers will have a field day.

The DoS can only pressure you if you are not paying child support. They will not allow you to renew your passport until you have paid up your Child support to current (I know of one individual that this happened to about 5 years ago). Last I heard, DoS was not going after anyone for failure to pay alimony. Do not quote me I am not a lawyer.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

We on this forum are not legal experts.  Sometimes we may know an answer or have an opinion on something regarding the Philippines and our home countries.  Once we start bringing in countries such as Moldova, we cannot guaranty that any answer will be correct.  

I would suggest that you contact legal representation at a level you can afford in Moldova.

• Like 5

pokermike
Posted
Posted

One question , where were you married , thats an issue, if you married in the US then their laws pervail,  if she files there. Divorce by publication is a little more common now,  so i would check to see if she could file that on you before leaving. Its the killer divorce all she has to do is claim she does not know where you are and then the trouble begins. The way it works is the papers are filed then it is published in a local legal paper which you can usuall find only in front of courthouses. Then in 90 days you are divorced the person who files this has to claim they do not know where you are living thats it. Then everything they ask the courts for is granted unless you are around to fight it. Its is the worst of all divorces.    Its like having four of a kind and losing the biggest pot of your life.  Good Luck   Poker Mike

EmptyRafter
Posted
Posted

If you are on disability, that cannot be touched for debts...at least VA disability.

06charger
Posted
Posted

Im pretty sure my disability pay would be up for grabs if divorce commences. All my hard work for the military would be cut in half. Do you have documental proof that this is not possible?